what is "root" user's password?

Questions and mods regarding system management may go here
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
pacho
Trainee
Trainee

what is "root" user's password?

Postby pacho » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:17 pm

i now that root has "higest" rights

but, becouse I not a linux user, and in control panel this user not exist,
and chinese hackers trying hack my DS215j with this login, the question is:

what is really password for this account?
Can i change it?

I have 2 users with admin rights and "admin" user is disabled.
but i worried becouse the "root" user is without my control.

thanks a lot for introducing into problem.
DS215j + DS Cloud
microkid
Versed
Versed

Re: what is "root" user's password?

Postby microkid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Root password is the same as the password of the admin account.
To block hackers, disable SSH and enable the firewall. Even better, set rules to only allow your local IP adresses and block any external address.
DS918+ | 4 x WD RED 4TB in SHR | 2x250GB SSD | DSM 6.1.3-15152 U6 | VMware ESXi 6.5 via NFS
Evo X MR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Evo X MR » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Base on my experience... I thought you had to ssh as admin prior to sudo su - root but I was wrong.

You could actually ssh as root directly without ssh as admin first.
pacho
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pacho » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 pm

microkid wrote:Root password is the same as the password of the admin account.

thanks, so, when i have 2 admin accounts, which one has the same password like root? both ?

To block hackers, disable SSH and enable the firewall. Even better, set rules to only allow your local IP adresses and block any external address.

now firewal enabled, block all world except my country.

but
1/ how "disabled ssh" block hackers?
2/ i have telnet off, SFTP ON. you mean, to switch off SFTP ? or any other services? if yes , which?

thanks a lot.
DS215j + DS Cloud
Messerschmitt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Messerschmitt » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:12 pm

pacho wrote:
microkid wrote:Root password is the same as the password of the admin account.

thanks, so, when i have 2 admin accounts, which one has the same password like root? both ?

The admin user which is system default

pacho wrote:

now firewal enabled, block all world except my country.

but
1/ how "disabled ssh" block hackers?
2/ i have telnet off, SFTP ON. you mean, to switch off SFTP ? or any other services? if yes , which?

thanks a lot.

SSH like Telnet is under Terminal & SNMP. Be advised some actions can only be done via SSH as root, so if you disable that, you will need to re-enable, or if your GUI is borked, then you will have to do a reset. I would just change the SSH port number and that should be safe.

An attacker would need to know your IP, Port number and admin/root password. Make sure you have a strong password and you should be good. Also use the autoblock feature.
DS413j
3x 3TB WD Red - SHR
UPS - CP1000AVRLCD
abetancort
Novice
Novice

Postby abetancort » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 pm

For better security enforce the mandatory use certificates with long keys for authentification instead of password and only allow ssh connections from your lan or even better from a separate vlan on your network only used for administrative purposes without access to the internet.

Remember to keep your certificates safe and back them up regularly to an off line medium and use let's Encrypt to rotate them frequently (every 90 days).

No need to disable the service, if you are really paranoid, instead of allowing connections from a dedicated vlan, use the Console method allowing connections only from a dedicated lan port with an ad hoc wired connection to a Console an assigned ip by DHCP from a pool of one from a private subnet of just 2 nodes.
Regards,

@abetancort
http://TheCanaries.org/
ccomley
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccomley » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:02 pm

Lots of replies saying the root /sudo passwd is the same as the "admin" password.

Except, on my DS411 here, at least, that simply isn't the case.

Is there a way to reset it so it is? I can log in as "admin" but that has no admin privs at the command line, logging in as root or using SU to become root, asks me for a password, and it is NOT the same as admin's.

Ah - OK, it seems messy but "sudo sh" does the trick. Still, would prefer to know the real password.
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:45 am

Synology has obfuscated the root user in some way. I too would like to at least "change" the root password, as a basic, fundamental security measure. I doubt the possibility is going to be revealed. Apparently all the busybox password commands I know have been disabled or obfuscated somehow:

I have submitted a support ticket requesting answers. I doubt any will be forthcoming.
hYp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hYp » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:16 pm

PaulS wrote:Synology has obfuscated the root user in some way. I too would like to at least "change" the root password, as a basic, fundamental security measure. I doubt the possibility is going to be revealed. Apparently all the busybox password commands I know have been disabled or obfuscated somehow:

I have submitted a support ticket requesting answers. I doubt any will be forthcoming.

does
Enter command:
synouser --setpw root your_new_root_password

not work anymore?

hYp
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:54 pm

hYp wrote:does
Enter command:
synouser --setpw root your_new_root_password

not work anymore?

hYp

Did not know that one, ever. Why does Synology need a separate, proprietary utility or blob called "synouser" for Busybox?

It's a rhetorical question. I'd be OK with it if it was strictly for DSM purposes, but root is not a DSM data structure.

Usurping FOSS for the purpose of proprietary lock-in is a dishonest, counterproductive business tactic. SOB's.
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:07 pm

DSM6.0 is bash and not busybox so that could be your issue with the commands. You're also not supposed to log in as root anymore: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... SSH_Telnet
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:52 am

syno.dustin wrote:DSM6.0 is bash and not busybox so that could be your issue with the commands. You're also not supposed to log in as root anymore: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... SSH_Telnet

My issue with the commands is exactly what I stated: Synology's blatant hacking of the operating system for business lock-in purposes. Bash is a shell, not an operating system. I use root (sudo, etc.) on my Diskstation for various purposes DSM does not support (allow). What I am "supposed" to do is not in your realm.

Do you know what operating system DSM actually sits on top of? Hint: It's not a "shell."
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Postby syno.dustin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:25 am

PaulS wrote:
syno.dustin wrote:DSM6.0 is bash and not busybox so that could be your issue with the commands. You're also not supposed to log in as root anymore: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... SSH_Telnet

My issue with the commands is exactly what I stated: Synology's blatant hacking of the operating system for business lock-in purposes. Bash is a shell, not an operating system. I use root (sudo, etc.) on my Diskstation for various purposes DSM does not support (allow). What I am "supposed" to do is not in your realm.

Do you know what operating system DSM actually sits on top of? Hint: It's not a "shell."

If you want to rant instead of having a useful conversation then feel free. If you want to discuss the differences between the usage of ash shell in DSM5.x and previous and bash shell in DSM6.0 then I'm here. This topic was created before bash was used in DSM and the CLI commands have changed over time as Synology updates them internally and switched from ash to bash. If you want to continue to use this thread as a soapbox then there's nothing productive to get out of it.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby PaulS » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:52 am

syno.dustin wrote:If you want to continue to use this thread as a soapbox then there's nothing productive to get out of it.

True that. The only thing productive to come out of this topic would be the outcome of a well-informed investigation surrounding GNU-GPL violations.

Have you guys ever been audited?
gbak1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gbak1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:16 pm

I found that my root pwd is also not the same as the Admin pwd I use for logging in. What I did was login via ssh admin@diskstation and then the cmd sudo su -. I guessed at one of several pwds which turned out to be the ssh pwd I use for the Admin user. I guess it doesnt answer the question directly, but it may help another to be aware that my root pwd is not the same as the diskstation web login Admin pwd, but does accept my admin ssh pwd.

Return to “System Managment Mods”