No audio when streaming movies to TV using Media Server

Questions regarding media streaming across varied protocols, including UPnP/DLNA/CIFS can be placed here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
stanno
Beginner
Beginner

No audio when streaming movies to TV using Media Server

Unread post by stanno » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Recently I have no audio when streaming certain movies to my Samsung TV using Media Server. It seems to affect all formats (.mov, avi, mp4, mkv) but not all files - some play normally, others not.

The audio is definitely present on the files and they will play OK if streamed directly to my Macs.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

EDIT: The problem videos play normally with audio when streamed using DS Video Station to my android phone.

stanno
Beginner
Beginner

Re: No audio when streaming movies to TV using Media Server

Unread post by stanno » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 pm

BUMP: Has no-one else had this problem? I've been stuck over Christmas being unable to watch 95% of my movies because they have no audio when streamed to my Samsung TV.

They all used to play normally. Nothing has changed in my setup apart from updating the DSM and Media Server package. Any suggestions would be really gratefully received! I'm only getting stock replies from Synology support talking about video formats, which isn't the issue.

stanno
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by stanno » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 am

I've analysed the movies which don't have audio when streaming and found something interesting.

All the movies that still play correctly (with audio) have an MPEG (MP3) audio format. Any other format (AAC, AC3, etc) and the movie will not have audio when streamed to my TV with Media Server (although the same files play normally on my computer).

I double checked this by converting a movie with an AAC audio track (which didn’t work) to MP3 and it now streams correctly.

The thing is, all these exact same movies used to play OK until recently. I can’t convert all the affested files to MP3 as there are several hundred and it would take weeks.

Can anyone think why this may have suddenly happened and a possible fix?

Thanks.

berns1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by berns1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:20 pm

I think I'm having the same issue - no audio when streaming to my tv through the tv's dlna option (presumably then using the media server) for files with aac audio. When I stream the same film to the same tv using DS video then it's fine...

stanno
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by stanno » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Yes, could be the same issue with Media Server. Unfortunately my TV won't run DS Video (or Plex properly for that matter) so I can't test the TV, but from what you say the TV isn't the issue here.

stanno
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by stanno » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 pm

I think I’ve finally solved the problem! About 2 months ago I assigned several devices on my network fixed IP addresses to avoid conflicts with printers and some mobile devices. This included the 212j.

It suddenly dawned on me the other day that, having tried everything else, the two things might just be connected, however unlikely. So I returned the NAS to DHCP automatic and tested the videos on the Samsung TV. Amazingly the audio that was missing on most of my movies has now returned!

I am happy that everything is working again but wondered if anyone has an explanation as to why assigning a fixed IP address to the 212j would have this affect, and if there is any way around it?

Return to “Media Server”