Replace basic volume 1 with bigger hdrive

Questions and mods regarding system management may go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Blueyed1
Experienced
Experienced

Replace basic volume 1 with bigger hdrive

Unread post by Blueyed1 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi I need some advice on upgrading my DS211+ with a larger hdrive. Right now it has two 1TB harddrives - basic volumes. I want to replace volume1 with a new 3TB harddrive, and maybe keep volume 2.

I want a exact copy of volume1 since its contains some modifications (bootstrap).Volume 2 it just data.

I was thinking I could remove volume2 (hdrive2), insert the new 3TB as hdrive2, make a new SHR volume with hdrive1/hdrive2, the remove the harddrives, and insert the 3TB hdrive as disk1. Then I should have a exact copy of volume1, but degraded.

But is it possible to change a SHR volume to basic? Or is there another way to do this?

/Blueyed1

SDirickson
Guru
Guru

Re: Replace basic volume 1 with bigger hdrive

Unread post by SDirickson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:09 pm

No. If you want an exact copy, you'll need to use a drive-cloning utility like Clonezilla that handles ext3/4.
RAID is not Backup.

RAID has nothing to do with Backup.

RAID is about (and only about) continuity of service: your data remains available even in the presence of a drive failure.

"Backup" means a completely separate copy of the data in a completely separate system, preferably in another building (another town is even better). If your "backup" is sitting on the desk next to the "main", and your house floods or burns down, how useful is that "backup"?

Blueyed1
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Blueyed1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Okay, found a way to do this from my DS211+.

Keep the disk you want to "copy" ind the Diskstation, then put the new drive in avalible slot, make them to RAID1 - mirror. When the its done, then pull the old disk keeping the new one in degraded state. Telnet an use this command

Code: Select all

mdadm --grow --raid-devices=1 --force /dev/md2
(RAID1 to BASIC)

Now the new disk is basic again an you can expand it to its full size :D

Found the solution here:
http://mycbl.blogspot.dk/2014/02/synolo ... basic.html

(update)- disadvantage "Volume1" is now named Volume2 - a repair install of all packages are necessary
/Blueyed1

MathieuM68
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by MathieuM68 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

Made some tests, and found a way that doesn't change volume name. All works perfects, volume1 is still volume1, and all available space on the new hard disk is available.

Here is the way, based on what you suggested, not sure if some points are useless or not, but doing this on my DS worked perfectly…. :
Assuming using DSM 4.3, 2 disks, each as a basic volume. This was done on a DS212j.
1- Remove disk on tray 2 (named Volume2 in this tuto), reboot
2- Insert the new disk in tray 2, reboot
3- Convert volume1 to RAID1. (I've not selected SHR, but RAID1), reboot
4- Exchange disks in Tray1 and Tray2, reboot
5- Remove disk in Tray 2, reboot -> Degraded status
6- Issue

7- Go to DSM Storage manager (not sure of the name, i'm using a french DSM), HDD manage, you will have the option to extend volume 1 to get the full available space. Do this. Reboot
8- You must here have a Volume1 using the new hard disk, and with the full available space
9- Insert the previous disk Volume2
10- Here all should be fine, you should have Volume1 unchanged, but on your new HDD, with a whole available space

Thanks for your help !

janoonk
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by janoonk » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm

I can confirm the method described by MathieuM68. The one thing you need to double check is that the new harddisk is recognized at its full capacity in my case 4TB. The first time I tried this method to upgrade from 3TB to 4TB I inserted my new disk, after I first tried to clone it and because of that my 4TB disc was only 3TB disc. Because of that the extend volume option was not presented. I tried a second time but now my disc was emptied by deleting all partitions and was at 4TB. It worked like a charm!
Thanks MathieuM68!

An other method which should work is by cloning it first (use CloneZilla) and resizing the partition afterwards. Be sure to use tools which supports ext4 (for example GParted live cd) AND that your PC/BIOS supports disc larger than >2TB or else your 3TB looks like 1TB and your 4TB looks like 2TB!!!

hanggaw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hanggaw » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:13 am

An other method which should work is by cloning it first (use CloneZilla) and resizing the partition afterwards. Be sure to use tools which supports ext4 (for example GParted live cd) AND that your PC/BIOS supports disc larger than >2TB or else your 3TB looks like 1TB and your 4TB looks like 2TB!!!
I tried the method of cloning the disk and resizing the partition afterwards, but sadly this method does not work for me.

The easy part is cloning the disk. In my case, I cloned a 3TB disk into a 4TB disk. I got stuck in trying to resize the partition. I tried GParted and Mini Tool Partition Wizard and both read the data partition as a RAW partition. As a RAW partition, both GParted and Mini Tool couldn't expand or extend the partitions.

blitzdesigner
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by blitzdesigner » Wed May 18, 2016 3:39 pm

MathieuM68 wrote:Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

Made some tests, and found a way that doesn't change volume name. All works perfects, volume1 is still volume1, and all available space on the new hard disk is available.

Here is the way, based on what you suggested, not sure if some points are useless or not, but doing this on my DS worked perfectly…. :
Assuming using DSM 4.3, 2 disks, each as a basic volume. This was done on a DS212j.
6- Issue

7- Go to DSM Storage manager (not sure of the name, i'm using a french DSM), HDD manage, you will have the option to extend volume 1 to get the full available space. Do this. Reboot
8- You must here have a Volume1 using the new hard disk, and with the full available space
10- Here all should be fine, you should have Volume1 unchanged, but on your new HDD, with a whole available space

Thanks for your help !
This solution works perfectly on DSM 6.0-7321 Update 6 in a DS212+.

Thanks for finding it!

cheers
blitzdesigner

chose007
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by chose007 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:41 am

I can also confirm that the solution provided by MathieuM68 works. Finally I found a working solution after much hassle trying the other way - clone the old disk using some utility (which is easy) and then expand the data partition to fill the whole drive - which I just couldn't do even after many hours searching and trying. The problem is that even the basic partition on Synology uses RAID1 which makes things difficult. For example Gparted just doesn't allow you to resize the partition...

Done this on my DS212j with DSM 6.0.2-8451.

Thank you Marthieu!

Geky
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Geky » Sat May 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Would that method create an exact clone of the "old" volume 1 to the "new" volume 1?
Including the packages and settigns and backup tasks etc?
I am most concerned about backup taks setup with hyperbackup that copy data from Volume 1 to Volume 2 on a weekly basis. I really dont want to lose the exisitng setup.
Issuing the command would be through SSH I assume. Do I need to issue sudo -i to get to the root to issue the command?

v40jlt4
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by v40jlt4 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Wanted to do this today.

ds218+ (DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8 )

I have one 4TB disk (SHR) and one basic 2TB disk.

For starters, I wanted to swap the 4TB disk with a 6TB disk.
So I removed the 2TB disk and put in the 6TB disk. Next I wanted to convert the 4TB SHR volume into raid1 and add the 6TB disk.

But according to the synology site (as well as the menu in volumemanager) you cannot convert SHR into Raid1.
That option is grayed out.

I can only add disks to an SHR volume.

Would that work as well?

Or what's the next best method to easily replace the main volume1 (single) disk?

v40jlt4
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by v40jlt4 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:42 pm

v40jlt4 wrote:.....

Or what's the next best method to easily replace the main volume1 (single) disk?
Nevermind. I just replaced the 2TB disk with the 6TB disk, changed the location of the shares from volume1 to volume2 and restarted the backups so they backup to volume1.

Next I'll move the packages from volume1 to volume2

lottomotto
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by lottomotto » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:30 pm

v40jlt4 wrote:Wanted to do this today.

ds218+ (DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8 )

I have one 4TB disk (SHR) and one basic 2TB disk.

For starters, I wanted to swap the 4TB disk with a 6TB disk.
So I removed the 2TB disk and put in the 6TB disk. Next I wanted to convert the 4TB SHR volume into raid1 and add the 6TB disk.

But according to the synology site (as well as the menu in volumemanager) you cannot convert SHR into Raid1.
That option is grayed out.

I can only add disks to an SHR volume.

Would that work as well?

Hello did you find out?
I am in the same position I have a TB volume 1 and I want to change it to a 8TB. Unfortunately the 4tb is SHR. so I cannot pass to Raid1. But I can add the 8tb as a SHR...

Srandista
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Srandista » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm

SHR cannot be converted into RAID1. When I bought my previous NAS, I wanted to use standard RAID level, so I had to delete that automaticaly created SHR volume, and then I had to create new volume (then Basic one, and after added second disk, convert it to RAID1).
DS218+ 6GB RAM / 2x4TB WD Red (btrfs) / DSM 6.1.6

ralfpetz
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ralfpetz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 pm

MathieuM68 wrote:Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

The solution suggested by MathieuM68 works perfectly for me, too. Thanks!

I'm on DSM Version 6.1.4-15217 Update 2 on a DS214se.

Three additional comments:

1. I replaced both disks (Basic Volumes 1 and 2) in my diskstation by running two times through the instructions by MathieuM68. Therefor I swapped the instructions on disks, volumes and trays accordingly. It works without problems and afterwards the system runs solid and with the same configuration like before, but with larger disk space of course ;-)

2. In order to issue the command "mdadm" on the right RAID device (/dev/md?) I used

cat /proc/mdstat
which lists all available RAID devices.

3. I could not issue the command "mdadm" directly, but it works with

sudo mdadm --grow --raid-devices=1 --force /dev/mdX
Thanks again! These instructions saved me some efforts!

Syentist
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Syentist » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:44 pm

MathieuM68 wrote:
Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:33 pm
Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

6- Issue

Thanks for your help !
Started once with DSM 4.x - updated to 6.2 on my DS212j

Then I wanted to replace "first" disk (Volume 2) with a 3TB one to use the repair option on her
I tried removing the second disk (1TB)
When the system came up, it wouldn't let me repair volume1 because of different FS (1TB got ext3)

Now what can I do to get my 3TB into this setup

The basic idea was swapping out Vol2, repair, then swapping out Vol1 repair and resize

But it won't work because the new disk will be ext4 by default.

Now I need to rebuild the old state first before moving on?
Well started the repair process already. It should be through soon.

I guess all actions need to be done using ssh - no plan on how to proceed

I was thinking about breaking the RAID1 to leave two basic disks, then remove one, replacing it with the new one, copying over and then remove the last old disk putting the second in and choose RAID1, but I guess it won't work good.

Return to “System Managment Mods”