How to configure Wake On WAN in a Synology Disk Station.

Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
bigeddu
I'm New!
I'm New!

How to configure Wake On WAN in a Synology Disk Station.

Unread post by bigeddu » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 pm

EXTERNAL ACCESS TO WOL

This guide is made including some specific hardware / software people with different equipment should figure out how to make it up. I hope this guide is helpful for them too.
Hardware:
- NAS Synology Disk Station 213j
- Router TP-Link TD-W8970
- Smartphone Sony Xperia U

Software:
- Disk Station Operative System DSM 5.0
- Android DS Finder (Release March 2014) APP

What you need:
1. Static IP provided by your ISP or a Dynamic Domain Name Server (DDNS).
2. Static IP for your NAS inside your LAN
3. An open Port, in the router, pointing at your NAS’s IP port 22.
4. NAS´s IP and MAC address binded in your router.
5. Software that sends a Magic Packet.

Steps:
1. DDNS
There are some free DDNS providers in the internet (NO-IP in example) but I am using Synology’s DDNS Service. You can get one in the control panel of your Disk Station DSM: "External Access".

2. LAN Static IP
You have to configure an Address Reservation in order to provide a static IP to your NAS in your LAN. You will need your NAS´s MAC address.

3. Forwarding Ports
A public / service port needs to be forwarded to the port 22 in the NAS’s IP. The IP is the same which was made static in the previous step.

Image]

4. Binding MAC address to IP address.
Due to the fact that the “Magic Packet” (the data packet that wakes your hardware) is broadcasted to de MAC address and not to the IP address. We need, somehow, to tell our router that the signal it is receiving and that points to an IP (if the NAS is off, there is no IP our router can find), must be forwarded to a specific MAC address.
This step is not very different to step 2.

5. Sending Magic Packet
To send the Magic Packet we need software able to do so. It can be sent from any computer but I am sending it from my smartphone using the DS Finder APP.

When we write the DDNS (step 1) we have to write :5000 after it, in order to use that port to connect to your NAS (maybe you have to forward it too).
In the field “Wake with LAN port” we should type the port we forwarded in step 3.

And that’s all folks!! I hope it has been useful for most of you. If there is any question, please, don’t hesitate to write it down here. I will help as long as I can.

It took me a lot of hours of reading web sites to realize the “how it is done”. Here are some URLs I read about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... 70/SSH.htm
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 17&t=45854

pwhooftman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: How to configure Wake On WAN in a Synology Disk Station.

Unread post by pwhooftman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:45 pm

I am sorry, but your description is wrong.

The reason your setup works is because you use DS Finder, plus you probably have tested this only when the Synology was down briefly, so your router didn't clear it's arp cache yet. I bet if your synology is off (not sleeping!) for a few hours this won't work anymore.

- WOL packets are not adressed to IP adresses, therefor forwarding ports (step 3.) is not the way to make it work. Port forwarding only works for packets sent to specific ports.
- WOL packets are not adressed to MAC adresses either, so there is no use in binding the MAC address to the IP adress (step 4.)
- the synology does not have to have a static LAN ip (step 2.)

A WOL packet is sent into an entire network, and is not addressed to any specific computer. A message like "Hey, is mac address aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff around?" is sent. But, this message is not addressed to a specific computer. Any computer present on the network will hear the packet, and the computer with mac address aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff can respond "yes, here i am!".

There a are routers (like those running Openwrt) that have a trick built in (or you can build scripts to do so). You specify what appears to be a port forwarding rule, when in fact that port catches any traffic into a routine running on the router, translating your external WOL command into a broadcast into the internal network, passing along the address of the external computer calling. It's like asking the doorman of a hotel 'can you yell into the lobby if mister Smith is present?'. But, if the router does not have this feature (aka, there is no doorman), then no dice.
DS918+ with 2x4Tb WD Red, Kopano VM, Domoticz

bigeddu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bigeddu » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:21 pm

After more than 2 days off. I Woke On Wan my Synology Disk Station at first try (you loose your bet XD).

Before I wrote this "How it is done" I had problems like you describe before (after one minute I couldn´t use WOW, only WOL worked properly). But, since I binded IP & MAC in my router, I am able to WOW everytime I want.

Some others "HOW IT IS DONE" with a very likely procedure to WOW:

http://www.mibqyyo.com/articulos/2013/1 ... ssion_id=0
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/l ... ake-on-wan

Those procedures may not be the best ones (as I think, due to your response) but, as I told in the thread, it works.

There are some issues I really don't understand how they work and, I think you have knowledge enough to understand why it is working at least. I would appreciate if you spend some time to explaining it to me.

Thank You.

sandidr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by sandidr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:31 am

Hi bideddu,

I came across your posting regarding the Wake on Wan, as I myself I'm trying to configure my router and NAS so that I can remotely wake up my Synology DS412+ using my android mobile phone. I followed all your steps listed and forwarded the ports mentioned in my Linksys X3500 router, after downloaded and entered all the necessary information into the DS Finder app. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get it to work/turn on from my mobile phone using 3G/LTE after I have shut down my NAS. Can you please help by giving me some advice on how you got yours to work, waking up the NAS from your mobile phone on an external network connection. I am currently using port forward port 22, but I read some other sources that the port forward for WOL is UDP 9, therefore I am confused. I'm really looking forward to your reply. Thank you very much in advance :D

bigeddu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bigeddu » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Sandir.

Sorry for muy late reply.

I know you wrote that you followed every step so sorry for my next question:
Did you bind the mac and the IP adresses of your NAS in your router?

If so, I fear I can't help you. But I will set up the same configuration to again so I could detectar any problema.

I will feedback

bigeddu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by bigeddu » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:34 pm

The DS Finder 1.7-120 version seems to be a bit stubborn and refuses to set the port number when I edit a connection to my NAS (nor LAN connection neither WAN connection). I reported to Synology already. So, until now, I can't Wake On Wan my Synology NAS with DS Finder. But the good news are that there are a lot of apps in the Play Store for android and in the App Store for IOs that work properly to Wake On Lan / Wan.

Another thing I did was setting up my router configuration from zero (starting with connecting my router to a new ISP) and followed every step from the beginning (as I wrote it in this thread) to be able to use Wake On Wan. And I realized that there are some tricky switches in some of my router features like "ARP Binding" (IP & MAC binding) that enable / disable the configuration I have been struggling with for two hours. And I swear to you that you can bind all the IPs and MACs you want that, if that switch is not put on "enable", the binding won't work. I learned it the embarassing way ^^U

After that, I can assure to you that I can Wake On Lan / Wake On Wan my Synology NAS and even my computer.

Zatamon
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zatamon » Tue May 10, 2016 7:34 pm

First many thx for bigeddu providing the right WOL (WOW) port 22 for wake the Synology DS up :-), and for the excelent documented guide to set up the router.
I've spend weeks trying to wake up may DS using port 7 or 9 generally associated to WOL without succes. THe port 22 wors flawlessly.
Just some symplification I've made on my router (Tp-Link WR1043ND V.3).
Router setting:
1. I set fix IP to my NAS in the "DHCP" menu "Adress Reservation" submenu to "192.168.1.x" (note if your router IP is in the 192.168.0.z range then the DS IP should look as 192.168.0.x or the subnet mask should be configured accordingly) The MAC adress of the NAS is easily found DSM "Info center" menu "Network" submenu "LAN" section.
2. I've made IP & MAC binding (at the menu with the same name) using the DS MAC adress and the 168.1.x.x. set just before
3. Set the portforwarding at the "Forwarding" menu "Virtual Servers" submenu as follows: Service port: "22"; Internal port: "22" (could be blank); IP adress: the IP adress of DS (192.168.1.x) protocoll "All" (the UDP should be enough but...), and Status: "Enebled"
4. Reboot the router!!!

5 Use any kind of WOL app that is WOW (Wake on WAN) capable, personally I've used "Wol Wake on Lan Wan" app by Brobble
6 Set up the connection (I describe here how to do it using the app above)
a.) Name: pick one you like
b.) MAC: type the MAC address of th DS (used before)
c.) Secure On should be leaved blank
d.) IP or Domain: if you have a fix ip from your ISP (you can check it if in router menu "Network" the WAN connection type is set to fix IP ) then use the value found after
IP Address at the same menu, if the connection type is set to Dynamic IP you should use a DDNS provider preferabli your snyology account name (xxx.synology.me),
e.) Port should be set to 22
f.) Broadcasting should be unchecked
g.) Repeated sendig (or something like this [sorry I've a Hungarian version]) should be unchecked as well
h.) save and use it :-)
7. use the app for your convenience :-)

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Tue May 24, 2016 6:31 am

Is there anybody ready to check WOL/WOW with the latest DS Finder? Both DSM 6.0 and earlier feedbacks are appreciated ...
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

Jacob-in-dk
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Jacob-in-dk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:08 am

Hi,
In the latest DS Finder app on Android the wake on LAN port does not get stored in settings. I can write the port and press "OK", but when editing the settings again the port number is gone.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

tedrogers
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by tedrogers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Zatamon wrote:First many thx for bigeddu providing the right WOL (WOW) port 22 for wake the Synology DS up :-), and for the excelent documented guide to set up the router.
I've spend weeks trying to wake up may DS using port 7 or 9 generally associated to WOL without succes. THe port 22 wors flawlessly.
Router setting:
1. I set fix IP to my NAS in the "DHCP" menu "Adress Reservation" submenu to "192.168.1.x" (note if your router IP is in the 192.168.0.z range then the DS IP should look as 192.168.0.x or the subnet mask should be configured accordingly) The MAC adress of the NAS is easily found DSM "Info center" menu "Network" submenu "LAN" section.
2. I've made IP & MAC binding (at the menu with the same name) using the DS MAC adress and the 168.1.x.x. set just before
3. Set the portforwarding at the "Forwarding" menu "Virtual Servers" submenu as follows: Service port: "22"; Internal port: "22" (could be blank); IP adress: the IP adress of DS (192.168.1.x) protocoll "All" (the UDP should be enough but...), and Status: "Enebled"
4. Reboot the router!!!

5 Use any kind of WOL app that is WOW (Wake on WAN) capable, personally I've used "Wol Wake on Lan Wan" app by Brobble
d.) IP or Domain: if you have a fix ip from your ISP (you can check it if in router menu "Network" the WAN connection type is set to fix IP ) then use the value found after
IP Address at the same menu, if the connection type is set to Dynamic IP you should use a DDNS provider preferabli your snyology account name (xxx.synology.me),
g.) Repeated sendig (or something like this [sorry I've a Hungarian version]) should be unchecked as well
Just wanted to report that this worked flawlessly

I just woke my NAS from shutdown (after being off all night - 10 hours) using the ""Wol Wake on Lan Wan" app by Brobble app, and on port 22. It wouldn't work at all from DS Finder app.

The only thing I did differently, was that I only forwarded port 22 on UDP. No TCP is neccessary.

I was using mobile data on my Android phone, and was therefore outside of my LAN completely.

The only question I have is why port 22? Isn't this the default SSH port - I don't use port 22 anymore as it is not good practice to use the default port for SSH.

Thank you.

Fixy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Fixy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi

Thanks for your How-To!
This seems to work for me on the first sight but as another user mentioned, this doesn't work anymore after powering off the router and NAS entirely (even only for a short time).

I only have the possibility to "link" the MAC address with the IP through DHCP server of the router.

Regards

Grendizer
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Grendizer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:57 am

Hello, I just spent hours trying to make this work. I followed every advice in this thread. It works perfectly inside my LAN. But when I connect to 3G or to another WIFI, no luck. HELP!!!! :|

Grendizer
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Grendizer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

So after much research I came up with a solution and decided to share. LONG blog post on my site:
http://www.dreamcraftdigital.com/setup- ... s216j-nas/

q_hung
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by q_hung » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:22 pm

tedrogers wrote:
Zatamon wrote:First many thx for bigeddu providing the right WOL (WOW) port 22 for wake the Synology DS up :-), and for the excelent documented guide to set up the router.
Router setting:
4. Reboot the router!!!

Just wanted to report that this worked flawlessly

I just woke my NAS from shutdown (after being off all night - 10 hours) using the ""Wol Wake on Lan Wan" app by Brobble app, and on port 22. It wouldn't work at all from DS Finder app.

The only thing I did differently, was that I only forwarded port 22 on UDP. No TCP is neccessary.

I was using mobile data on my Android phone, and was therefore outside of my LAN completely.

The only question I have is why port 22? Isn't this the default SSH port - I don't use port 22 anymore as it is not good practice to use the default port for SSH.

Thank you.
I tried and It did not work! Please advise if those steps are valid with DSM 6.0? or is there any other way to wake my NAS up from internet/ 3G, 4G on my phone?

Return to “DS finder”