Office for Mac cant read from AFP 'HOME' share

Questions regarding Mac OS X Specifically can be placed here, such as questions regarding TimeMachine, for example.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Koesper
Trainee
Trainee

Office for Mac cant read from AFP 'HOME' share

Postby Koesper » Thu May 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi!
Because of a rather silly and annoying bug in MS Office 2011/2013 for Mac, my users can't open excel/word/etc files from their personal HOME directory on the synology. (all other shares are fine, only if the share is called 'home' Office throws an error)

I figured i'll just make a copy of the 'home' share in smb.conf
(edit /usr/syno/etc/smb.conf as root, and make a copy of the [home] section, with a different name, and then reboot the synology, or atleast the smb deamon)

This actually works, and office doesnt complain anymore.

The drawback is, is that this only works if you mount the shares through samba (eg. finder>Connect to Server> smb://somesynology/home2).
But if you have the Mac File Service enabled (afp://) then your mac won't use samba by default, but it'll automatically try to use the afp://somesynology shares...

Any clues how I can trick AFP to do something similar?
/usr/syno/etc/afpd.conf doesnt contain a similar setting...
Last edited by Koesper on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koesper
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Rename/copy 'HOME' share in AFP

Postby Koesper » Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 am

I've digged a bit further, but havent found a solution yet.

It looks like netatalk (AFP) doesnt treat the HOME share similarly to how SMB does.
If i make a copy of the [home] share in smb.conf, this won't show up in the AFP configuration.

In AFP there is a separate [Homes] section in the afp.conf (not afpd.conf). And there you could add a parameter to give the HOME share a new name:

Code: Select all

[Homes]
basedir regex = /volume1/homes/
home name = home2

But unfortunately, there is no such thing as afp.conf on the synology.

Anyone got an idea of how to get the Synology to change the name of the HOME share, so Office won't freak out?
Koesper
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Rename/copy 'HOME' share in AFP

Postby Koesper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:54 am

Still no solution...

I've been brushed off by Synology Technical Support:
I'm sorry, but we don't provide support for command line, so if a feature is not present on the graphic interface, we can't do anything for solve the incompatibility issue with Office for Mac.

And in an old thread on a microsoft forum i've also got no success... But at least the problem is not Synology specific.. also QNAP devices suffer from it.

So it doesnt look like MS will ever solve the bug, and Synology doesnt help with a workaround.

Only workarounds I found are:
- Disable AFP, and switch back to SMB
- Don't use the HOME share system, but manually create a personal share for each user
Carlqual
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Office for Mac cant read from AFP 'HOME' share

Postby Carlqual » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Using AFP on my mac I get a message that the excel file can not be found. Message suggest to check the spelling and verify location, I did not have this problem prior to the update. Does technical support monitor this forum, I never see a reply from them.
Koesper
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Office for Mac cant read from AFP 'HOME' share

Postby Koesper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 am

Hi Carlqual,

This is probably the same problem i'm running into. Is this also from the 'home' share?

And although Synology probably does read the forum, they don't often reply directly. This is really a users forum. To make sure you get an official reply, please contact Synology directly.

Return to “Mac OS X”