DSM Update: Connection failed. check network settings ERROR

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
XCLBR
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM Update: Connection failed. check network settings ERROR

Unread post by XCLBR » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 am

Hey everyone I'm hoping someone has stumbled across this before and it's an easy fix.

I've got a DS1812+ running 4.3-3776 and I'm having issues trying to update the firmware. When I click the DSM update in the control panel I get an error message popup that says:

"Connection failed. Please check your network settings"

The only option I have is to click ok and when I do it returns me to the Control Panel home screen. So I can't manually update the nas either.

Has anyone got an easy fix for this? I found another post that mentions how to update via ssh
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... at#p309220

Will I lose all my data if I do a manual upgrade using SSH or is there an easier way to fix this?

OgeGOon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: DSM Update: Connection failed. check network settings ER

Unread post by OgeGOon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:19 am

I also have this error message since I have upgraded to DSM 5.0.

But in my case, I can update manually the packages downloaded on my PC from the download center: http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/download

I do so by opening the Package Center and clicking on "Manual Install"... I don't understand what prevent you to do so ?! (That being said, this is only a workaround...)

O.

astroroxy
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by astroroxy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:26 am

XCLBR wrote:Hey everyone I'm hoping someone has stumbled across this before and it's an easy fix.

I've got a DS1812+ running 4.3-3776 and I'm having issues trying to update the firmware. When I click the DSM update in the control panel I get an error message popup that says:

"Connection failed. Please check your network settings"

The only option I have is to click ok and when I do it returns me to the Control Panel home screen. So I can't manually update the nas either.

Has anyone got an easy fix for this? I found another post that mentions how to update via ssh
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... at#p309220

Will I lose all my data if I do a manual upgrade using SSH or is there an easier way to fix this?
You need to do an os reinstall http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/faq/348
Insert something people may care about here

OgeGOon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by OgeGOon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 am

I spent a few hours and finally found that the DNS resolution made by DSM 5.0 was not taking my fallback DNS (secondary DNS IP) into account. It was working fine before the upgrade...

My primary DNS is the DNS server package running on my Synology (as I manage one domain on my LAN).
My secondary DNS is my adsl modem (forwarding DNS requests to my Internet provider)
There used to be no forwarding between the first DNS and the secondary one, but it used to work fine for months for all my devices (Pc, tablet, NAS, ...) before the upgrade.

To fix the issue, I had to "enable resolution services" in the DNS server package of Synology. Which is actually a clean solution. But I wonder if my NAS will still work if it's own DNS server stops....

By the way, I found that the problem was with the DNS thanks to the error message got when doing "update now" in the DDNS services (external access)...

O.

astroroxy
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by astroroxy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Yes but in this case it might be the 4.3 malware, so an is reinstall would be best
Insert something people may care about here

theUtmost
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by theUtmost » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:17 am

Aha.
This is a timely post to find.
I too have a DS (211+) which seems to be stuck on an old DSM version: 4.something.

Most of the other posts I've found in the forum mention invalid DNS settings.
I use static IP settings and I have confirmed and re-confirmed the DNS server = the default gateway (router) internal LAN IP.
I've also tried external (ISP & Google) DNS server addresses.
I have tried changing to DHCP then back to manually defined again, and always get the exact same issue as @XCLBR when attempting to perform DSM update.
The DynamicDNS client on my DS211+ is working fine & updating itself ok - I have no issues getting in remotely for the enabled features & ports.
I can ping external URLs fine (eg synology.com and google.com etc) when I SSH into the NAS, so it seems that DNS should be ok!

Another post also mentioned invalid/corrupt packages, and I DO seem to have an issue with the Plex Media Server. Update attempts fail, and I cannot uninstall it either.
All other packages (even 3rd party) are able to be updated ok and are all at the latest versions for my DSM version.
Still this issue combined with the mention of the malware leads me to suspect the best approach will be a reinstall.

Time to buy that LARGE external USB drive and copy some 0s and 1s... to make sure I have a proper backup before doing the double-reset OS reinstall.
Previously, I had been in the "if it ain't broke, don't touch it" camp, but I guess with these being on the interweb all the time a certain amount of up-to-dateness is required...
Lesson learned: don't get stuck behind too far in OS version. :oops:

Kennygisb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Kennygisb » Wed May 07, 2014 9:57 pm

I have the same problem on the same version of DSM and I cannot resolve the issue. I have tried various suggestions from the forum but no resolution yet. I'm coming to the same conclusion that a manual installation is required but there is no guarantee that this will cure the problem. How come this error has happened, what has caused it, because it appears that there are a few users with this problem.

baddevotions
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by baddevotions » Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 pm

I too am in the same boat. Stuck in that loop of not being able to connect then it bombing out before giving me a chance to click "manual update".

I've tried re-setting stuff and putting in DNS numbers in the system -> network section of the control panel as per other posts. I've rebooted both the NAS and my router. I've also tried to download from synology and install via the package center but apparently it's invalid file format :S

i am completely stuck and it's annoying me... :(

DS110j
DSM4.1

andrea.fav
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by andrea.fav » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:31 pm

baddevotions wrote:I too am in the same boat. Stuck in that loop of not being able to connect then it bombing out before giving me a chance to click "manual update".

I've tried re-setting stuff and putting in DNS numbers in the system -> network section of the control panel as per other posts. I've rebooted both the NAS and my router. I've also tried to download from synology and install via the package center but apparently it's invalid file format :S

i am completely stuck and it's annoying me... :(

DS110j
DSM4.1
Same thing here; I'll repost the description of my problem, I mat have posted it in the wrong thread in the first place:

212j
DSM 4.1
router: Thomson TG784n

I need to update the DSM, but I am having similar problems:
When I click "DSM update" in Control Panel I get this message: "Connection failed: please check your network settings"

Also, DDNS support does not work (service provider: synology). Error message: "The DDNS server is temporarily out of service. Please contact the service provider." However I can reach the DSM via its external IP:5000.

I checked the following, and everything's (I think) correctly set:

On the router, Diskstation's IP is in the pool of the possible IP addresses.
I assigned the following rules to the diskstation IP:
TCP 5000->5000
UDP 5000->5000
TCP 5001->5001
UDP 5001->5001

Control Panel->Network
Default gateway correctly set to router's local IP
Manually configured DNS server: DNS server set to router's IP

What else should I check?

Thanks

slelgan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by slelgan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Any update to this issue? I'd rather not loose all my data via a total reset if possible.

I'm running a 212j and am getting the same "connection failed" error.

slelgan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by slelgan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Using SSH worked to fix this issue. It isn't that complex either. I was able to get it to work having little to no experience using command line, and having never used SSH.

Steps:
1) Go into your current DSM and go to firewall settings and open ports 21 and 22. I did it for "all" protocols. Then save your settings.
2) Next go into "terminal" and enable SSH and save
3) Next, if you are on a MAC, it is based on linux so the mac terminal can connect using SSH, otherwise, if you are on windows you'll need a terminal such as PuTTY http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.63/x86/putty.exe to access SSH.
4) Log into your DS using the SSH in MAC by typing:
ssh root@192.168.12.23
(Of course, substitute in your actual DS IP address in for 192.168.12.23)
OR if you are using PuTTY, open up the PuTTY program and select SSH in the options and then type in for the host/IP: root@192.168.12.23 (Of course, substitute in your actual IP for your DS in for 192.168.12.23).
5) It will prompt you for your password, put in your admin account password. Note: in PuTTY the cursor doesn't move when you type in a password so it appears that you aren't typing anything in, don't worry about it, just type in the password and hit enter and it will work. Also of note: root is a built in profile for your DS and its password is the same password as your DS admin account.
6) Once logged into your DS through SSH, then type in the following command:
synoupgrade --fetch-all
(Note: there is a single space after synoupgrade)
7)The system will then fetch the most recent upgrade and place into a hidden system folder called @autoupdate on your DS volume1. When complete the terminal will say "New update has been downloaded"
8)Next type in the command to run the downloaded update from the hidden folder location:
synoupgrade --patch /volume1/@autoupdate/DSM_DS212j_4493.pat
(Notes: there is a single space after synoupgrade and a single space after --patch. Additionally, the patch file name of DSM_DS212j_4493.pat will vary depending on your DS model and the most recent patch. My model is the DS212j and the most recent patch as of 16 Aug 2014 is 4493. I couldn't figure out how to get into the hidden folder to see the automatically downloaded file name, but by going to Synology.com and going to support I found the file name there for the most recent version for my model which was DSM_DS212j_4493.pat I just typed that in and it worked.)
9)After you hit enter, you will see UPGRADE_PATCH pop up and then your DS will proceed to upgrade and will take a few minutes, then reboot and eventually will beep indicating it is ready to be logged into. I then logged in and verified that it updated to the brand new version 5.0 with new interface. I also verified that my volumes, partitions and files were still in tact.

If for some reason you can't get the file path to work, I'm almost certain (though I haven't tried it since the above path worked without issue for me) you could just download the update from the synology site and then copy it into any existing folder on your DS and then update that way. For instance if I had a folder on volume1 called documents, I could drag and drop the update file named DSM_DS212j_4493.pat from my downloads folder on my CPU into the documents folder on the DS and then go back to the SSH terminal and type in the following to initiate the update: synoupgrade --patch /volume1/documents/DSM_DS212j_4493.pat
Hope this helps.

aermid
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by aermid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:29 pm

This worked for me like a champ. I was hoping I wasn't going to be stuck unable to update and have to do a new OS Install. Thanks for the step-by-step directions! :D

tnede
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tnede » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi

I am getting a bit desperate, I am stuck with DSM 4.2

I have tired the --fetch-all through SSH and it does not work, then I tried to manually put the DSM upgrade file onto a my diskstation drive and used this --patch command, it finds the file and performs the checks positive and even reboots the diskstation but when i reconnect it still the old DSM 4.2 :oops:

I am out of good ideas, please help

nidzo
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by nidzo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:57 pm

i have the same problem. actually, a have upgraded manually. but this is only one side of the problem. in fact, my syno still has the connection failed problem, and this turns out to have other implications. for example, i cannot see 3rd party plugins anymore.
moreover, this has some implications also with logitech media server, than works properly but cannot connect on the outside (so, no internet radio, no external plugins etcetc).

this is really annoying, and i cant't find any solution on the forums....

comfort
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by comfort » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:45 am

I am hitting a brick wall.

SSH as far as I can tell is not enabled and I cant get it enabled. When trying to login I get permission denied. Anything I do in using the web interface does not save. I cannot upgrade my DSM version.

Much of the web interface does not load properly and errors out. My DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 but something is screwed and the box keeps on telling me it cant access the web.

If I try to update the box manually with the latest 4528 version (I currently have 4493) it seems to work but after it uploads it errors out.

The mobile website works fine but it does not have the flexibility to do much. I cant trigger an auto update, I cant do a manual update, I cant enable ssh.

I have reset the box which resets networking and admin password but that did not help. Is there any other way to enable SSH other than the standard web front end ???

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”