SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed

Discussion Room for the Synology MailStation Package
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
anthonycamilleri
I'm New!
I'm New!

SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed

Unread post by anthonycamilleri » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm sorry to bring this issue up again, but I am completely flummoxed. I have the mail server app running on my Synology, and can send SMTP mail from clients on my PC fine.

However, as soon as I try to send mail from the roundcube client I receive the "SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed".

I have tried a multitude of configuration options so far:
  • I tried changing server name to localhost and to 127.0.0.1
  • I tried ports 25, 465 and 587
  • I tried entering the config file directly (rather than the web interface)
  • I have reinstalled MailStation (twice)
At this point, I have no idea what to do next - any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Anthony

brandon
Trainee
Trainee

Re: SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed

Unread post by brandon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:06 am

Hello Anthony friend,

As I understand you can send emails via IMAP/POP3 correct, but you can't send via roundcube?

I had the same problem with you and after troubleshooting I figured out that Synology somehow (really strange) had blocked my public IP (in the control panel-> autoblock). Removed it from blacklist and everything is working ok.

I think that this is not the problem since you changed the server name to localhost but you never know! Is the problem after upgrade to 4.3 beta or something? Or happened all of a sudden?

paulsonsca
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by paulsonsca » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I had the same error message when attempting to send from Mail Station. I could receive mail, but it would not send.

In playing with the settings I discovered that if I turned on Auto-Forwarding in Mail Server that it was able to forward/send directly from Mail Server, so I concluded that my DNS and port settings were correct and it must be a setting in Mail Station.

From within Mail Station (RoundCube) I went to "Settings"->"SMTP Server Settings" and changed the SMTP Server setting from my domain name to "localhost".

Now Mail Station sends without any errors.

fotizimo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by fotizimo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:27 pm

I had the same error, so I ended up making the localhost server the default server, and things are now working.

rhankins
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rhankins » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi, I also have the problem. I have tried everything that I can think of but I keep getting the same error message. I have installed and reinstalled both Mail Server and Mail Station, but the same error: SMTP error (-1) Connection to Server Failed. I cannot receive or send mail.
I know there is no newer messages, but can anyone help?

Thanks... RCH

DeeJayOne
Novice
Novice

Unread post by DeeJayOne » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello

I have the same error message after several seconds elapsed.
Any idea ?

Regards
DS207+ DSM 3.1-1639 / Logitech Squeeze Box Classic / D-Link DIR-655 Router / DS209II+ DSM 4.2-3256 / DS212+ DSM 6.0.1-7393 update 2

Return to “Mail Station”