rsync from Linux to Offsite Synology NAS without password

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
craig100
Beginner
Beginner

Re: rsync from Linux to Offsite Synology NAS without passwor

Unread post by craig100 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I have my Linux user AND Linux root accounts in the authorized_keys file for the DS root user and admin user and it still asks for a password when I try to rsync.

craig@craig-dell ~ $ Documents/Scripts/netbeans-backup.sh
Password: (I cancel here, then....)
@ERROR: auth failed on module NetBackup
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1653) [sender=3.1.0]

It seems to me that rsync isn't handled by root or admin on the DS, there's some other, "secret" user somewhere. Why is this so difficult and poorly documented? Why else would you buy one of these things if not to transfer files? (fairly certain I've not made a boo-boo, btw :wink: )

randomname
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by randomname » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

I can only get key-authentication over ssh to work for the root user, using a rsa-key.
I can't seem to get it to work for any non-root user without the Synology asking for a password.

Maybe it has something to do with their PAM module?
  • DS411j
  • DS1512+ with 2GB RAM
  • DS1515+ with 16GB RAM

craig100
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by craig100 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:02 am

I got it working, but not with user accounts or netbackup. See this post for details: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 5&t=103152

Hope it helps.

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”