USB station and HP LaserJet P1005 printer problem

Got questions on using your printer with our server? Post it here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
ksh
I'm New!
I'm New!

USB station and HP LaserJet P1005 printer problem

Unread post by ksh » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Hello all,

I have following problem with the new LaserJet HP P1005 printer and USB station.

1. The LaserJet HP P1005 printer can only work and print from USB station print server after I first plug the printer directly to my Window XP computer to do the first printing, then I unplug and re-connect to the USB station print server.

2. However, every time I restart the printer and the computer, I have to perform the above step in point 1 again in order to get the USB station print server to work with the HP LaserJet P1005.

Do anyone have a solution to resove the problem?

Thank you.

Chiwauwa
Trainee
Trainee

Re: USB station and HP LaserJet P1005 printer problem

Unread post by Chiwauwa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm

You need to upload the firmware to the printer each time you turn it on. See the following thread for some hints for doing this:

http://www.synology.com/enu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6159

The Windows drivers do this automaticly. This is why it works if you connect it to Windows, print out a page and then connect the printer to you Synology product without turning off the printer.

I hope this helps.

BR,
Henrik

xdin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by xdin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 am

My P1005 behaves similar. Prints nicely when attached to local USB but won't print attached to my D107e. The link to "how to upload firmware" seem to be for linux enthusiasts, can't see how I benfit from the instructions, sitting on an Win XP desktop? Or should that not be necessary since the win drivers should take care of it? But why doesn't it print then? I'm lost here. I've tried all three printer configurations. I've upgraded the firmware to 2.0-0598. The documents appears and disappears from the local printer queue. Then they show up on the D107e's queue. I view that queue by explorer: \\192.168.1.2 then I doubleclick "Printers and faxes on 192.168.1.2" then I doubleclick "usbprinter". They never disappear from that queue, just says "printing". When I restart the D107e, they finally vanish. But nothing prints.

jason101
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jason101 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:50 am

Hi friends, I do some desktop publishing out of my home. I'd really like to be able to print on my own. I just do flyers, brochures, invitations and other stuff like that. I'd like to get a color laser printer. I'm looking to spend under $500. Can You Recommend a Color Laser Printer? Any helpful suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much in advance.

pixel
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pixel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:29 pm

I would have expected someone from the Synology staff to provide an accurate answer to this issue, since it has been open for a year right now.

I've run into the very same problem with my HP LaserJet 1005 and spent some 3-4 hours with trying to get it work, to no avail. The page Compatible USB Printers features two lists of compatible USB printers. The HP LaserJet 1005 is NOT listed on the first one (Offical list of compatible printers tested by Synology), and this is quite correct so. The second page, however: User Reported Compatible USB Printers lists it along with an explanation that, at a closer look, also reveals that it is in fact none. The corresponding text reads as follows:
Works - If you don't add the printer using Synology Assistant, it will be visible in Synology DS Manager, but you won't be able to print
That's quite correct - "you won't be able to print", the reason being that the printer is not compatible with any printserver at all. This is at least what I gathered from a support question at the HP IT Resource Center Forums: HP LaserJet 1005 & usr 9108 print server, the final conclusion being...
The 1005 is most likely a host-based printer, and won't work with that USR print server/router. For that matter, it probably won't work with any print server. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but the 1005 is not exactly a high-end printer, and low-cost printers often have compatibility issues as far as netwroking equipment is concerned.
...and that appears to be correct, given that the official driver download page for the LaserJet 1005 indeed lists the driver as being an "HP LaserJet 1005 Host Based Driver"

Therefore it is safe to assume that the LaserJet 1005 is only designed to work in a host based fashion, i.e. connected to a PC via the USB cable.

sawilson_uk
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by sawilson_uk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis of printing problems with an HP LaserJet 1005. For 6 years my HP Laserjet 1005 has been operating via a USB connection to the desktop XP PC. I then got a vista laptop and I was trying to share the printer between the laptop and the desktop without having the desktop switched on.

So i connected the printer to the USB port on the Draytek router. The XP machine will print to the printer, but ONLY if I connect it to the desktop, print a test page, and then connect it to the router, which is all a bit pointless. Turns out HP have not released drivers for Vista or W7.

I am contemplating buying a DS409 slim and was wondering whether I would be able to share the printer via the DS409 rather than via the router. The explanation by the previous poster suggests that this will not work either. Time to buy a new printer - shame because the LJ1005 is a reliabble and low cost little printer.

Scott

Return to “Printer Server”