Backup failed error([23] Unknown error)

Reference only! Archived older discussions about backup and restore of the DiskStation to any client.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Backup failed error([23] Unknown error)

Unread post by Spinux » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 pm

I have several daily network backups scheduled on my CS407. The network backup is done to my DS207 over my local network.

All but one backup seems to fail; seems to, because my CS407 gives to different pieces of information.

In my network backup log I see the following message:
2008/01/15 23:55:51 admin Network Backup failed to backup shared folder [Data] to [DiskStation (192.168.5.202)]. error([23] Unknown error)
2008/01/15 23:51:06 admin Network Backup started to backup shared folder [Data] to [192.168.5.202].

When I look at the settings off the specific backup for my data folder, I see the following:
Last backup time: 2008/01/15 23:55
Last backup status: Successful
Backup schedule: schedule has been set , time: 23:51
weekday: Daily

Which of the two should I believe??? This problem occured since the update to the latest firmware (on both the DS and CS). But as already stated, this message is only for the data folder. All other backups are completed successfully.

Please help,

Spike

Notorious NAS
Rookie
Rookie

Error 23

Unread post by Notorious NAS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 am

I have the same problem. I am using 2 DS-107s and every one of my network backup jobs except one (the web share) end up with an "error 23" in my network backup logs. This only happens when I turn on encryption. When I turn it off, I stop getting that error. Oddly enough, even with the error my files are still backed up to the remote DS.

Anyone know what exactly causes an "error 23" ???

As for if it is related to new firmware I can't say, I just bought these units.

- Notorious NAS

Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Spinux » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:19 am

add to my original post: in my case encryption is OFF

@ Notorious NAS: you can find your firmware version info logging into the admin panel

wardog
Versed
Versed

Unread post by wardog » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Until Franklin replies here .........

Related?
http://www.synology.com/enu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20590
DS-207 | Two Hitachi E7K500 HDS725050KLA360 (0A32412) 500GB HD's
DS-207 | Two Hitachi 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A33863) 1TB HD's

Notorious NAS
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Notorious NAS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned what firmware I am running. Both of my DS-107s are running the same firmware below:

Model Name: DS107
Current Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0518
Firmware Date: 2007/11/01

Also, thanks posting that link Wardog. If I do have a locked file that is causing the error 23, a reboot of the NAS (or both NASes) should clear that up if that is the case. I'll be sure to try that and post what happens later today.

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Greetings all-

Sorry for the "unknown error" statement, we will update our strings to reflect what it actually means in a future firmware update.

In any case, error 23 means that a file was deleted after the backup list was created. So, Network Backup is providing a warning that it cannot find a file to backup which was instructed to do so during the initial scan.

Hope this helps
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews

Notorious NAS
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Notorious NAS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Hmm....

Just to make sure I understand this clearly. Once you start your remote backup job, the source syno builds a list of files to copy/modify/delete to the destination syno. And you are saying that if I were to delete a file from the source syno during the backup it would fail (error 23) because it couldn't locate the file on the list to copy to the destination syno. Correct?

If that were true, then the next time you start that same remote backup job, it should build a new list and everything should back up fine. Correct?

Please let me know if I do not understand the nature of this error. I just want to figure out how to fix it :)

Thanks again!

Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Spinux » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:33 pm

In my case the backup takes place at night and all workstations are switched off. My CS wakes up from hibernation and is not in use at the time the network backup is performed. Also notable is the fact in the network backup log I can see that the backup takes exactly the same time every night.

I tried to rule out that files are locked by rebooting the CS407 and start the specific backup manualy. This gives the same result: in the log I see the error 23 and in the backup settings I see the message "successfull"....

Can it be that one file is corrupt and the backup stops there? And if so, how can I determine that specific file?

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Unread post by Franklin » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:34 am

@Notorious NAS
Yes, what is correct; if you delete a file after the system has created a list to backup to the destination Syno; our system will log that a file was missing during the backup, as Error23

@Spinux
Please contact online support about your dilemma. Our support team will most likely ask for the diagnostic log from your system and may ask for remote control of your server to see what is causing your error. The link is in my signature.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Spinux » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 am

As adviced by Franklin I contacted Synology support. Their response was very swift! To complete this forum thread, I post their findings:

The engineer have checked your system and found the following rsync error:

Jan 22 22:03:53 rsyncd[2829]: rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(163)
Jan 22 22:07:55 rsyncd[3042]: rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(163)

This message indicates rsync meets a error when preparing the list of some specified folder before backup. Good news is this warning message won't affect the backup mission. However, this is a known issue now ( thank you again ), we will fix this confusing message as soon as possible.

Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Spinux » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 am

In reponse to the finding of Synology support I replied with the following question:

It is a good thing that the "unknown error" is now a "known error" and can be specified, but what about the root cause of the problem? The error will still be reported in the network backup error log. What can I do to prevent the error?

I will post the answer as soon as I receive a response from support.

Spinux
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by Spinux » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:18 am

And again very swift response from Synology support!!!!

Let us worry about the fixing. The rsync engineer explains that rsync daemon detects inexistent files ( but existed before ) so cause this issue. He will fix this wrong warning in our log system, then you won't meet the same issue again.

I'm very satisfied with this answer and overall support from Synology!

NetBoot
Ace
Ace

Unread post by NetBoot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:28 pm

It should really be a waring and not an error. The solution or workaround would be to use --delete-before. But I think that option is only available for rsync version 3.

Net....
Product Model: DS-106
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0640

I have my reasons for my insanity....

Jennice
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Backup failed error([23] Unknown error)

Unread post by Jennice » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:06 pm

I have the sampe problem! :cry:

I run a remote backup at night, so nothing is in use.
It gives the same response when initiating backup manually.
It causes an error on two of my 7 main folders (each one backs up at different days - no overlapping).

It occurs since my ecent upgrade to 518 (done to get FileStation)
All ran fine with previous official FW.

Franklin, please advise...

Regards,
Jennice

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Re: Backup failed error([23] Unknown error)

Unread post by Franklin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Greetings Jennice

Please contact online support for further assistance; sorry if this doesn't help you immediately.

Return to “Backup/Restore (Archived)”