XBMC(ATV2) sees DS212j but won't mount

Questions regarding using our product with a UPnP Digital Media Adaptor may be placed here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
itbedave
Trainee
Trainee

XBMC(ATV2) sees DS212j but won't mount

Unread post by itbedave » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello all and thanks in advance for any assistance you may offer. I've been reading various threads here for a few days now but perhaps I'm searching for the wrong things. Here's my predicament:

I just purchased a DS212j (aka "DeathStar") and have it setup with 2 - 2TB drives RAID1 for my backups, photos, and other personal files. I have also attached a 2.5TB external USB drive (aka "ATV_Media") to it where I have all my ripped movies and TV shows to serve up to my 4 Apple TVs around the house that are jailbroken and run XBMC Eden 3 Beta.

Previously I had a Buffalo LinkStation Live NAS that I served everything from - and it worked fine - but was low in capacity and lacked the RAID setup I wanted for my personal files and photos. Which is why I've moved to the DS212j.

I've enabled SMB and NFS sharing as I had read elsewhere NOT to use UPnP with XBMC due to scraping issues. (I could not see how to enable UPnP with the connected external drive anyway.)

So now I'm trying to add the ATV_Media drive (which is the external USB mind you) to my network volumes on XBMC. If I browse via Windows SMB, I can see DeathStar but when I try to dive further inside to select the volume(s) I want to add, it says "operation not permitted." Likewise, if I browse via NFS, I can see the IP address of DeathStar, but when I try to browse it, it will look like it's trying to access or a minute or two and then nothing. So I'm wondering if I've not go something enabled correctly in the control panel for the network settings? Or if something about having my streaming media library on the external drive causes complications?

Remember, I'm NOT looking to utilitze the 212j's media server capabilities - I have no need at this point to stream anything outside of my home network and just want this USB to be used as my media server for the Apple TVs and XBMC. So I just need to access this drive as storage.

Again, thanks in advance!
----------------------------------------
"Tim Tebow prayed for the Denver Broncos to win the Superbowl next year...so God gave the Denver Broncos Peyton Manning"

DS212j w/2TB WD x2 + 2.5 WD USB
AppleTV2 w/XBMC

itbedave
Trainee
Trainee

Re: XBMC(ATV2) sees DS212j but won't mount

Unread post by itbedave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am

UPDATE: SMB NOW WORKING!!!

FWIW - I ended up using SMB to connect to my DS212j as I couldn't get zeroconfig to work for me on my ATV2 and UPnP apparently won't allow proper scraping.

SMB works great - but you MUST make sure your guest user account is ENABLED in your users control panel. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't see the DS212j and on a whim, decided to check the users setup and saw it was disabled. As soon as I enabled it, worked as expected.
----------------------------------------
"Tim Tebow prayed for the Denver Broncos to win the Superbowl next year...so God gave the Denver Broncos Peyton Manning"

DS212j w/2TB WD x2 + 2.5 WD USB
AppleTV2 w/XBMC

moshbox
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by moshbox » Sun May 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Same problem, however, I'd like to find a real solution to using NFS rather than an SMB bandaid.

These volumes were previously shared from a linux box and XBMC/ATV2 had no problem with them with the following /etc/exports:

Code: Select all

#/export	192.168.0.0/24(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check,async)
#/export/Music	192.168.0.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async)
#/export/Videos	192.168.0.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,async)
Now that I've migrated everything to the DS212j I can't for the life of me figure out why I can only see what shares are available but not browse/mount them. This is the /etc/export from the DS:

Code: Select all

/volume1/Videos	192.168.0.0/24(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/Music	192.168.0.0/24(rw,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
Any ideas?

Cheers! -j

Somydi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Somydi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm

I had the same issue, but followed these instructions and it works just fine. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS#Synology

necrosis
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by necrosis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 am

itbedave wrote:UPDATE: SMB NOW WORKING!!!

FWIW - I ended up using SMB to connect to my DS212j as I couldn't get zeroconfig to work for me on my ATV2 and UPnP apparently won't allow proper scraping.

SMB works great - but you MUST make sure your guest user account is ENABLED in your users control panel. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't see the DS212j and on a whim, decided to check the users setup and saw it was disabled. As soon as I enabled it, worked as expected.
Does anyone have a REAL fix for this? Its like giving a user root access because your tired of them bugging you when they need software installed. Its just seriously stupid.

EDIT: Found a work around that does not need guest enabled.

EDIT EDIT: For those that want to know how read over this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Us ... urce_types

I had to manually edit the sources.xml to put in my l/p information for the synology share.

For some reason when XBMC tries to connect to the SMB server it first tries "guest" at which point it SHOULD then ask for a login and password but the SMB server returns some bogus operation that is not permitted. So you have to supply the l/p on the very first time you try and connect to the SMB. Only way to do this is to edit the config files directly.

I do not think its the SMB server itself (build or version number), just the default config of SMB. Might look into it more to find out exactly what the problem is.

*sigh* Would really love to just use my Samsung TV but these 12 year olds running anime distro groups are moving to 10-bit encodes which the TV does not support. As it is I have to use nightlys of XBMC till v12 (Frodo) comes out to play them right.
DS1812+ (DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1)
APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 160w Load {20%} 36min

erikauk
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by erikauk » Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for this thread helped me with my issues.

agroom
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by agroom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!

I've also been pulling my hair out for the past few months wondering why this wouldn't work. I upgraded from a 211j to a 214play and the Raspberry Pi I have connected to it would not connect, though it still connected to the 211j just fine. I scoured dozens of forums and tried 100 different things, all with no avail. I even went through side-by-side comparisons of every control panel setting...except the user accounts *sigh*

gokky
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by gokky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:58 pm

For those more security avvare: Guest account is needed only to define new SMB path then it might be safely disabled again (DS214play, DSM 5.0).

Return to “Streaming Multimedia Server”