WOL does not work following scheduled power off

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
cheekygreek
Trainee
Trainee

WOL does not work following scheduled power off

Postby cheekygreek » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 am

Hi,

Is anyone experiencing issues with WOL and scheduled power off? When I switch off my DS410 by pressing the power button, then Wake on Lan works just fine and dandy. However when it switches itself off via the scheduled off feature, then WOL does not work. Is this the case for anyone else?

Cheers,
CheekyGreek

UPDATE: Following further investigation, I can confirm that this is not in fact a problem with the scheduled power off. Yesterday due to internet problems I rebooted my router. I have enable DynDNS on the router and also correct port forwarding for WOL. However I have just experimented and after rebooting the router (and confirming DynDNS's updated IP address), WOL does not work. This is definately not a problem with DynDNS as Remote Desktop is working on my other pc (when accessed from outside my network).

When I switch on the DS410 manually, then allow it to power off, WOL works again. Very strange.

Ideas will be welcomed!
Vadim
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: WOL does not work following scheduled power off

Postby Vadim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi!
You can call me a necroposter, but now we are in 2011 and got DSM 3.0-1354 for DS410 but the problem still persist.
I don't understand why the problem is ignored. Are there all the users always sitting near the box to push the button when the lights back on again? :)

Issue:
Wake on LAN doesn't work if DS410 was shut down using 'poweroff' command via ssh.
But as the topic starter mentioned above: Wake On LAN works fine when using front panel button to shutdown.

This behavior makes it impossible to implement completely remote power management without user interaction is case of power failure occur when you have UPS connected to a PC with agent software capable to run scripts only. Really don't know about device's behavior with networked UPS.

I believe this can be solved very quickly - just provide the shell with the command that issues the same shutdown instructions to the box in the way the front panel button does it. I don't beleieve the button handler is separate of the boxes' OS and smarter than it.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:10 pm

If you just use the "poweroff" command, the DS is not correctly shutdown, it does not run the scripts needed.

Scheduled poweroff and WOL is no problem with current FW.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-4 / ST4000VN000-2AH166
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-4 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS712+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-4 / HD154UI + ST31000340AS (RAID0)

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
cheekygreek
Trainee
Trainee

Postby cheekygreek » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Nice to see my old post resurrected..as I gave up on this months ago!

HarryPotter wrote:If you just use the "poweroff" command, the DS is not correctly shutdown, it does not run the scripts needed.

Scheduled poweroff and WOL is no problem with current FW.

I beg to differ. I still can't seem to get it working. I do remember doing some research and found that it may in fact be an issue with my router, as according to some post I read most consumer routers do not keep the association of MAC address to an IP after a certain period of inactivity (ie. once the NAS has been switched off for a while). I can in fact confirm that if I power down the NAS then try WOL instantly then it works fine, however after a few minutes it stops working. Apparently I need a router that can do MAC to IP bonding or something?

Definately a NOOB in this area so please let me know if I am talking out of my other hole...

Cheers
CG
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 am

HarryPotter wrote:If you just use the "poweroff" command, the DS is not correctly shutdown, it does not run the scripts needed.

This makes it sound like it is sooo easy to fix. Just ask the shutdown script to run the correct script for WOL.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Was searching in other forums to confirm my last post.

I obviously was wrong: poweroff DOES run te S* scripts with the parameter "stop".

I tested it with my DS110+ and I had no problem with rebooting it using WOL.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
Vadim
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Vadim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks for the good news, HarryPotter!

As for now, should we officially request solution of our problem as a bug ( or as feature ) via support form to get it solved
or we've already been heard by the person able to handle it?
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Do not hesitate to report it again so it doesnt get forgotten :wink:

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
Vadim
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Vadim » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi again!

Sorry for soo long delay with the answers
I have discussed the Synology support team about the issue.

Result:
WOL works fine after poweroff from ssh only when the system powering wasn't interrupted during it was off. If physical power loss occur after the device was powered off via software it won't wake by lan anymore.

here's the support team member's comment
Hi Vadim,

Thanks for the feedback. If the power supply of the system loses power, the WOL feature will not work as the system will lose its WOL settings. Unfortunately there is no workaround for this issue as it is a hardware behavior. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Andrew Lai
cfuttrup
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Postby cfuttrup » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Ah yes, sounds like a fair and good reason ... with a solution - don't turn off at the wall.
aol
Beginner
Beginner

Postby aol » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm having this same issue on a DS410.

Simple setup: Actiontec gen2 (Verizon FIOS) router, behind that the 410 on a static ip as well as the other boxes in the house. I port map port 9 to the device I want to WOL, and use the tool at dslreports to send a magic packet using my DDNS name and the MAC address of the device I want to wake (410 or other box).

If I port map port 9 to another box and use it's MAC address, it wakes; if I port map port 9 to the 410 and use it's MAC address, it does not wake. The WOL checkbox is checked and I use scheduled start and stop. Power was not interrupted at the wall to the 410 since it's scheduled shut down.

The discussion about the router losing the reference to the 410 is interesting. I found a PHP script that actually broadcasts on a subnet (i.e., 10.1.1.*), so you plug in the MAC and maybe that will work. I sure HOPE it's not because I used scheduled shutdown as opposed to physically pressing the power button, as others have suggested.

Andrew

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”