How do you rename a volume?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Kynthos
Trainee
Trainee

Re: How do you rename a volume?

Unread post by Kynthos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Old thread I know, but still a relevant issue. After the deletion of volumes, replacing disks and expanding an already active volume leaves the realization, that you cannot rename the last remaining volume. In the case of 3 active volumes, say having 2 SSDs as basic volumes, and the rest of the disks being HDDs in raid as a third volume. They are named Volume 1 (setup by one SSD as a Basic volume), Volume 2 (setup by one SSD as a Basic volume) and Volume 3 (setup by a number of HDDs in a RAID6). Deciding to take out the two SSDs and replacing them with two more HDDs in order to expand Volume 3 with these two more drives, leaves Volume 1 and Volume 2 gone with only Volume 3 in the NAS. Another scenario is the same setup of disks, deciding to change Volume 1 and 2 from Basic volumes to SSD cache. In both scenarios this would leave only 1 volume in the NAS called Volume 3. The name is not logical, as it simply "cannot" be Volume 3, as only one volume exists in the NAS.

I would agree that such a renaming option is indeed not only practical, but indeed also necessary in order to keep a tidy NAS.

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 am

paulfielding wrote:
leethompson wrote: Volume1 is like drive C: on windows or /dev/sda on unix. You can name the volume SHARE anything you'd like, including media...
Well, not exactly. I just setup my first share, and while I can call the basic share whatever I want, for an NFS mount (which I need), it does indeed add /volume1 to the front of it. So for example, I created a share called "data". For the NFS mount, I have to mount /volume1/data.

I don't consider that very acceptable...

Paul
that how it is on linux. in window (SMB) you just map share with no volume1 in name.

Kynthos
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Kynthos » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:19 am

sincarne wrote:that how it is on linux. in window (SMB) you just map share with no volume1 in name.
Well, things are as they are until they are changed. An option to rename a volume - as I have described above - would be a very welcome one.

wcndave
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by wcndave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I agree this would be really useful, and don't agree that they are hidden.

When using HTPC for example, to browser media, you are shown volume1/2/3/4 etc... and it's really not intuitive.

Right now I want to replace a crashed volume, however some data is accessible. If I put in the new disk, is will create vol 5? or create vol4 which is a disk removed right now, and therefore conflict later? I will want to copy what I can from vol1 to volXX and then rename volXX to vol1 once completed....

However these things become much harder.

BTW: saying it's like C: on PC is not correct, you can assign drive letters AND Name your drives in windows...

So, I'd vote for the LVM naming tools to be part of the interface.
DS712+: 2xWD20EACS (2TB) running in RAID 1
DS409+ 4xWD60EADS (24TB) running in Basic

Dune HD

par86
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by par86 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:43 am

I'm currently without an access to one of my JBOD disks most likely because of inability to rename volumes.

Disk with volume1 crashed and became read-only. I removed disk with volume2 and inserted a replacement disk (which got assigned volume2). Then I copied the data from crashed disk's volume1 to new disk's volume2 and removed crashed volume1. NAS has only volume2 now. When I'm attaching my initial 2nd drive (which used to have volume2) it says it's not initialized. I'm assuming because of volume name conflict because it was working just fine.

Waiting for support ticket to help resolve this since I kinda need that data. It would have been much easier if we could name and rename volumes however we wanted....

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

IMO this has nothing to do with the volume name.
Very simple to verify: remove the current disk, insert the old volume2 disk and boot.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “System Management”