SURVEILLANCE STATION UPDATE PUT HOME SECURITY AT RISK

All questions/comments regarding the Surveillance Station using IP Cameras may be placed here
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
kusojiji
Beginner
Beginner

SURVEILLANCE STATION UPDATE PUT HOME SECURITY AT RISK

Unread post by kusojiji » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:36 pm

The last surveillance station update discontinued Internet Explorer support, which I use. It put my security at risk as I can no longer monitor what is going on. They are only considering using Chrome, which I refuse to use as it is Google, which I do not trust.

Is there a way to reverse the update? Even their surveillance station client doesn't work, which is very poor of them. I can get the desktop up, but it says that my cameras are off-line. I can go to my files and see that there are recordings and can view them that way, but I do not get to use the live view, nor see the big picture of all cameras.

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: SURVEILLANCE STATION UPDATE PUT HOME SECURITY AT RISK

Unread post by mike42dk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:42 am

Hi

Run with Firefox, works like a charm.

Or you could use Edge?
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

zippydan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by zippydan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Live View should work with any browser that supports HTML5, which is all modern browsers.

Internet Explorer has been out of date for a couple of years now, at least, so it is not a surprise that it is no longer supported. In fact, most of us Synology users are thrilled that Synology finally supports HTML5, and has dropped the use of clunky plugins.

I'm not sure why they decided to completely drop support for Internet Explorer and couldn't have just maintained support for both HTML5 and the plugins, but I'm guessing that maintaining the plugins is a development chore that is not necessary in a modern HTML5 world.

So, you should be able to use HTML5 in Chrome, Chromium (which is an open-source version of Chrome), Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc. Synology said as much themselves, that it should work on any HTML5 browser, they are simply limiting their in-house testing to Chrome, so they can't explicitly guarantee that it works on every browser. In practice, though, HTML5 is a standard and you shouldn't have any problems with Live View in different browser, any more than you'd have problems watching YouTube in different browsers.

In short, you're overreacting - this is altogether a good thing. Also, why the hate towards google? You use Internet Explorer. You think Microsoft is more trustworthy? Use Firefox or Opera then, I guess.

jseymour
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by jseymour » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:57 pm

zippydan wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 pm
So, you should be able to use HTML5 in Chrome, Chromium (which is an open-source version of Chrome), Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc. Synology said as much themselves, that it should work on any HTML5 browser, ...
I'm using Vivaldi and that works fine. It does use the Blink rendering engine, but should be free from the concerns the OP has with Google. (FWIW: I neither like nor trust Google, either.)

Briolet
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Briolet » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 pm

zippydan wrote:
Live View should work with any browser that supports HTML5, which is all modern browsers.
On the mac I'm used to the fact that, since at leaset DSM, SS only works with Safari and no other mac browser. At least before switching to HTML5.
zippydan wrote:
In practice, though, HTML5 is a standard and you shouldn't have any problems with Live View in different browser, any more than you'd have problems watching YouTube in different browsers.
HTML5 supports many elements, but hardly any browser supports all elements that were defined in HTML5. You have to blame IE not fully supporting HTML5.
https://html5test.com/compare/browser/index.html

tb123
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by tb123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 am

Live View (and recording playback) still won't work in Chrome if you are using h265+, need to use the desktop client.
DS916+, 3 x 4TB WD Red, 1 x 4TB WD Purple
UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

Briolet
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Briolet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 am

When I look at above site, only Edge and Safari support H265.
I would always use the desktop client as it is much faster. It is not slowed down by a browser layer.

tb123
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by tb123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am

Briolet wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 am
When I look at above site, only Edge and Safari support H265.
I would always use the desktop client as it is much faster. It is not slowed down by a browser layer.
Safari on my iPad won’t show h265+ either, I haven’t tried straight h265 though.
DS916+, 3 x 4TB WD Red, 1 x 4TB WD Purple
UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

Paul Barrett
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Paul Barrett » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Unfortunately you are going to have to wean yourself off Internet Explorer. Microsoft have pulled the plug on it and, one-by-one, applications developers are dropping it because the effort of writing backwards compatible code for old browsers is just too hard or not possible.

You are going to find it harder and harder to find apps that support IE. You need to jump ship. Something like 97% of people already have.

But, as others have said, you don't NEED a web browser to access SS. If you go to the Download Center and enter your DS model number, you will see a link for the desktop application, which is indistinguishable from the browser version and faster too.
Main: 916+
Test: 716+II
Backup: DS216j
RT2600ac Router
Ver: Always the latest :)

Return to “Surveillance Station”