Why is my 918+ spinning up disks

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
jerry340
I'm New!
I'm New!

Why is my 918+ spinning up disks

Unread post by jerry340 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 pm

I am sitting here typing watching youtube videos and all of a sudden by NAS starts spinning up drives and they start making seek type noises. I do have 3 or 4 shares on this NAS, but I am not running Windows 10 explorer or anything else that should be accessing the NAS. Any ideas on how I might figure out what caused the NAS to wake up and what the NAS is doing?

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Why is my 918+ spinning up disks

Unread post by mike42dk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 am

Hi

Depends on what apps and services you are running, have you checked the log to see if there is something there, or you could check Resource monitor to see what is going on?
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

jerry340
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Why is my 918+ spinning up disks

Unread post by jerry340 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:15 pm

HI,

Thanks for responding. I am brand new to Synology so forgive me if say something incorrect.

When I look in the logs all I see are "Internal disks woke up from hibernation" messages. I have one last night at 04:50 and one yesterday at 12:10. At neither time was I accessing the NAS.

As far as apps installed it has the default apps, which are Control Panel, Resource Monitor, EZ-Internet, DSM-Help, Package Center, Log Center, Universal Search, Security Advisor, Support Center, iSCSI Manager, File Station, and OAuth Service.

I have not installed any apps additional apps.

I did create a couple of shares.

Also, I did enable Time Machine backups which turned on Bonjour service discovery for my Mac. I also Turned on "WS-Discover, Enable Windows network discovery to allow file access vis SMB" so my Windows 10 system could see the shares.

BTW, is there some sort of sync process that runs periodically? When my system wakes up it seems to be doing all sort of disk access, but I am not accessing the shares from my PC or Mac.

jerry

Return to “Hibernation Room”