Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Discussion about the hardware (internal HDD/external HDD/USB printer) and software compatibility of Synology product.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu



2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
syn_dox
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by syn_dox » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 pm

I recently bought a ethernet cable from amazon, not synology

The problem is that the data transfer speed is considerably slower

Can someone please tell me where I can get the one that came with the box?
DS212+ 2 x 3TB WD Red

User avatar
rgarjr
Sharp
Sharp
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by rgarjr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm

any cat 5E or cat 6 should do the task
DS509+ | DS918+ | DS3617xs

syn_dox
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by syn_dox » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 am

rgarjr wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm
any cat 5E or cat 6 should do the task
The thing is that the item's description says cat 7
DS212+ 2 x 3TB WD Red

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am

Cat 7 is a better spec than 5e or 6, but if you bought a cheap cable from a no-name Chinese supplier you may have gotten a dud. I’d recommend Monoprice if you’re in the US.

syn_dox
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by syn_dox » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Squozen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am
Cat 7 is a better spec than 5e or 6, but if you bought a cheap cable from a no-name Chinese supplier you may have gotten a dud. I’d recommend Monoprice if you’re in the US.
But it clearly didn't achieve better result, rather it achieved worst results
DS212+ 2 x 3TB WD Red

telos
Distinguished
Distinguished
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by telos » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:44 pm

syn_dox wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 am
rgarjr wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm
any cat 5E or cat 6 should do the task
The thing is that the item's description says cat 7
What description? DS212+ has Ethernet 1000Base-T. Cat 5e/6 should be fine as suggested.
Last edited by telos on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Posts: 1355
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Ethernet cable for the DS212+?

Unread post by Squozen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:49 am

syn_dox wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 pm
Squozen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am
Cat 7 is a better spec than 5e or 6, but if you bought a cheap cable from a no-name Chinese supplier you may have gotten a dud. I’d recommend Monoprice if you’re in the US.
But it clearly didn't achieve better result, rather it achieved worst results
Read the rest of my post. You must have a bad cable.

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”