Expanding from 3 to 4 disks

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
huh?
I'm New!
I'm New!

Expanding from 3 to 4 disks

Unread post by huh? » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:11 pm

I have DS916+ with three 3TB drives. I'd like to remove one of the drives and install two 10TB drives and am not sure about the order to do the reconfiguration. The instructions I found indicate that only one drive should be swapped out at a time. Since I'm only swapping one drive and adding another new drive, can I do the swap and add at the same time or should I swap the 3TB drive with the 10TB drive, repair the storage pool, wait for that to finish and then add the 10TB drive?

Thanks

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Expanding from 3 to 4 disks

Unread post by mike42dk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 am

Hi

One disk at a time, so replace the one disk, wait a couple of days for it to finish checking, when it's done put in the second new disk.

And remember backup :-)
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

huh?
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Expanding from 3 to 4 disks

Unread post by huh? » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 pm