Using video transcoding from NAS 1 (new) with NAS 2 (older) larger capacity to store media

Plex package allows users to manage and playback their media collections to local or remote desktop/mobile running Plex media client through Synology DiskStation
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Stealthbit
I'm New!
I'm New!

Using video transcoding from NAS 1 (new) with NAS 2 (older) larger capacity to store media

Unread post by Stealthbit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 am

Hi all,

I have a solid 2413+ that I have been using for sometime now and I'm overall happy with it.

Now I would like to build a Plex server and use the HW trasncoding capability.

The 2413+ won't be able to handle that, so I thought of buying a new 918+ and combine it with the 2413+. Use the HW power of the 918+ to transcode media stored on the 2413+.

Is this even a good idea? :idea: if yes, any tips on how to do it? :?:

Thanks!

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Using video transcoding from NAS 1 (new) with NAS 2 (older) larger capacity to store media

Unread post by mike42dk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 am

Hi

Quite an expensive way of doing this :-)

Why not spend the money on a small factor PC (Icore7) and let that take care of Plex, this way you will get a plex server that can eat though everything, and still accessible to you everywhere, and all you have to do is mount the Video folders on that PC, and all is up and running.

I use a Intel NUC for running my PLEX server and I never ever having any problems no matter how big or small the file is, and it transcode what ever I put into it. Running a ATV on the other end.

A DS 918+ is not the best Plex server in the world.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Using video transcoding from NAS 1 (new) with NAS 2 (older) larger capacity to store media

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am

As much as I do agree with Mike here, just to answer to OP and his question. In short yes you can do that but if you are planing to use 918 just to run Plex then I have to go with Mike on this one.

On the other hand 918 can in its maximum run 4x4K transcode streams without any problems and there will still be room left before CPU gets in the red. But again, 918 just for plex migh be a really expensive investment.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “Plex”