Back up files via direct connection?

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect other DiskStations, USB/eSATA, network backup, or other rsync clients.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
photo_house
I'm New!
I'm New!

Back up files via direct connection?

Unread post by photo_house » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm

Totally noobie here, but does anyone know how back up two Synologies without connecting to a network? I have a Synology 1010+ and would like to backup it's files onto a Synology DS416 Slim via direct ethernet or USB 3 cable. Is this possible? I use both systems via direct cable and neither are cloud-based. Thank you in advance!

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Back up files via direct connection?

Unread post by mike42dk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

Hi

You can't use USB as a direct connection, as it's a NAS.

Both units are dumb, you ned some device to give an IP in the same range, and you can run a DHCP server on a DS.

If you use Hyper Backup, then it just needs a IP address then you can connect the 2 devices.

But why would you not put the second DS on the network?
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

photo_house
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by photo_house » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback and information. I was tracking until you said "you can run a DHCP server on a DS" , then I had to google some stuff :oops: To answer your question of why not put it on the network, a couple reasons -one is that a friend of mine got hacked when he connected his to a network. honestly, that's terrifying. Also, and secondly, I want to travel with my Synology slim disk station. I didn't want to set it up and set some precedent that would get screwed up if I disconnected it and took it on the road for a few weeks. I'm happy to evolve, though! Just tryin' to back up my data, stay safe, and make it more user friendly for travel.

FordGuy61
Sharp
Sharp

Unread post by FordGuy61 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm

If you do not want to mess with DHCP, assign both units and your PC a static IP address then plug all three into a stand-alone Ethernet switch. Ex: DS1010 = 192.168.1.10; DS416 = 192.168.1.11; PC = 192.168.1.12. You won't need a router since all three are on the same subnet.

Another option is to use an external hard drive to shuffle files between systems.

photo_house
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by photo_house » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 am

Hi Fordguy61,
Thank you for the advice! Would you mind telling me how do I assign the static IP addresses to each machine? Is this done through the Synology Assistant program?

mike42dk
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by mike42dk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 am

Hi

On the DS, go to Control Panel, Network, Network interface. There you can set the fixed IP.

On your Windows PC, you need to go to settings, network, and there you can go set your IP.
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
DS 415+ DSM 6.2
2 WD red 2 TB RAID 1
2 Seagate nas 4 TB basic
DX 213
1 WD purple 1 TB basic

Return to “Backup/Restore for DiskStation to DiskStation/USB/eSATA/Off-site backups”