NTFS Partition

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
brewder
Beginner
Beginner

NTFS Partition

Unread post by brewder » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Hello,

New to Synology NAS... I purchased the DS918+ and pimped it out with (4) 3TB IronWolf drives... two Samsung 970 EVO's 256GB M.2's for Cache....and a memory upgrade. :)

I want to eventually virtualize my HP Proliant Server (Windows 2012) and run it on the NAS. It's a basic file server running Active Directory for my home network. That physical server also holds my Group Policy redirected "My Documents" for all computers on my network. This server has run out of storage space.

I want to redirect those folders to a new share on the 918+.... That's easy to do via Group Policy and not my question. My concern is that the destination folder needs to be formated as NTFS to retain all of the security descriptors for the files/folder structures.

Is that possible on the NAS? If not, is my best bet to setup a new virtual windows server with enough storage to hold everything I need?

//Brew

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Re: NTFS Partition

Unread post by sincarne » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am

you can make iSCSI LUN and connect window server to LUN and format for NTFS. NAS has active directory and virtualization can try instead.

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Your best bet would be to run it as a VM on the nas considering your needs.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

brewder
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by brewder » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks guys. My end goal is the get rid of the huge proliant server... So visualizing will be my best bet. Thanks!

Return to “Windows AD Domain”