resilio sync deleted my files

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
pmcl77
Rookie
Rookie

resilio sync deleted my files

Unread post by pmcl77 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am

Hi,

I just wanted to access my photos which I always sync from my local notebook to my synology with resilio sync. I copy new photos on an external harddrive and resilio syncs them to my synology. When the external harddrive is disconnected nothing happens, usually.

Now I wanted to access some of my pictures on my synology... ALL GONE! Luckily I do have a backup of my photos (thousands from a round the world trip) but still I ask myself, how can it be? My only explanation is a failure in resilio sync. When the external harddrive has been disconnected sometime it must have though I deleted all the photos and synced that to the Synology...

Anyone else experienced a similar problem with resilio sync?

Thanks,
Phil
DS215j
DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3

Shadow771
Enlightened
Enlightened

Re: resilio sync deleted my files

Unread post by Shadow771 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 am

So you setup a sync between your NAS and a removable storage? I wouldn't recommend that at all...

I think you should set a sync with a folder on your NAS and a folder on a static hard drive on your computer. Or copy the photo's directly to the NAS.
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

pmcl77
Rookie
Rookie

Re: resilio sync deleted my files

Unread post by pmcl77 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. It has worked for over a year flawlessly... whenever the external drive was attached sync started, when it was removed it paused. And I had not to take care manually about uploading my photos. Also, any changes to their metadata from photo editing software would be always synced like that. I cannot have them on a static harddrive as I am travelling rtw and space is scarce on my notebook, also it's over 10.000 pictures by now ;)

I will upgrade to DSM 6 later this year so it will be interesting to see if cloudbackup can handle this strategy.
DS215j
DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3

Return to “Third-party Packages”