New Ds418play cannot reach decent speed...

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Zecari
I'm New!
I'm New!

New Ds418play cannot reach decent speed...

Unread post by Zecari » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Hello everyone!

This morning I had my new Ds418 play to replace my old 213J who was to slow for 4K streaming.

So I had 2x 6TO western digital red in Raid0

Directly connected to my netgear nighthawk (gigabyte) and all cable are in CAT7 gigabyte.

In configuration I just activate Smb and NFS.

The problem is that I cannot reach more than 60mb/s!!! Far away from the 200mb/s synology promise...

The strange things is that I activate SMB3 and reach 150MB/s and without any reason I get back to 60MB/s just after few minute...

Can you help me please?

Shadow771
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: New Ds418play cannot reach decent speed...

Unread post by Shadow771 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 am

Zecari wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 pm
Raid0
Why Raid0? Why not RAID5 (if not using SHR anyway?)?
Maybe the RAID is still building, or some other task is eating the CPU resources of your new NAS currently. Have you checked that?
Synology DS216+II <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> <site-to-site VPN tunnel> <--> Synology RT1900AC <--> Synology DS118

Zecari
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zecari » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 am

Hello thanks for helping,

Unfornatly, cannot make RAID 5 with 2 Disks ...

So what is the best ?

And when i do a speed test, the CPU reach max 30%

Zecari
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zecari » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am

Ok i formatted all and change for classic volume, and it's worst ... 5Mb/s down ...

sincarne
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by sincarne » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm

is test with one file or many file

tb123
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by tb123 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 am

How are you doing a speed test?
Wired, wireless?
DS916+, EdgeRouter Lite, UniFi AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

Zecari
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Zecari » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Tested with Parkdale wired :)

and with a classic windows transfer

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Does your computer have a hard drive or an SSD?

mervincm
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by mervincm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Parkdale does not rely on the speed of the local HDD like a file copy from PC to NAS would.

OP, your goal here is 110-115MB/sec. that the most you will get in any situation from a single PC to your NAS, the 200MB/sec from Synology refers to a different situation (see their test scenario descriptions) where you have multiple PCs accessing the NAS at the same time in a very specific way.

top performance depends on your NAS concentrating on the file transfer. other tasks like RAID rebuilds, SMART tests, Indexing, add-on packages, etc. can keep your disks busy moving it's r/w head around instead of simply streaming your test task.
-remove all packages you don't need
-remove indexes you don't need (I use none)
-disable NFS for now
-SMB should be min 2 max 3
-run the drive performance test on each disk and a SMART test to make sure they are healthy and happy.
-confirm no Raid building/testing is occurring, no Antivirus is active
-resource monitor task manager services will let you confirm that nothing else is using your disks (0 bytes read and write)
-did you enable compression or encryption on your Synology as both impact maximum performance?

From a wired PC (not a mac) (win 10 preferably) with an SSD copy a single 10GB+ file from PC to the NAS and watch the resource monitor, specifically disk utilization. network speed it will spike up and down as it samples, but ignore that red herring, look for the trend. In a situation like this, I would expect you to see a fairly consistent 100MB/sec write to the NAS.
wait a bit, wait for the NAS to complete the write from its local ram cache to the disks (1 minute should be enough) then copy that file from the NAS back to your PC. I would expect a similar 100+ MB/sec

RAID0 is not commonly the best choice, but it works if you understand what the tradeoffs are (lowest availability and highest chance of data loss) vs. (performance and maximizing space, simple single volume)
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED

Return to “File Server Performance”