Unable to reach a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM from an outside machine

The discussion room for the Virtual DSM Manager package
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
risket
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unable to reach a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM from an outside machine

Unread post by risket » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello,

I've having some network trouble on a VM that I've created on my Synology NAS.

NAS model: RS3614xs+
DSM Version: DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 1
Virtual Machine Manager version: 2.3.2-9011

This is the first VM that I've created on a Synology NAS, so I suspect that I've missed a configuration step.

I created a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM using an ISO from Microsoft, and installed the Synology Guest Tools along with the VirtIO drivers. The OS installation went well, and I am able to reach the internet from within the VM, and I am able to connect to computers on the local network. However, I cannot connect to the VM from other machines on the local network via VNC, RDP or otherwise. I can't even ping the VM's IP address from any local machine. However, I can remotely connect to the VM using RealVNC Connect's cloud connection service. I suspect that I would be able to remote into the system using LogMeIn, TeamViewer, or something else along those lines. The VM can be connected to via the shared link in DSM.

When I started this process I created a new Virtual Switch in Virtual Machine Manager, connecting it to an external connection. I've tried all 3 of the available network adapters (e1000, virtio, RTLsomething) and while I'm able to connect to the internet/local machines from within the VM, I cannot connect to the VM from local machines without using some roundabout way. I have to be able to connect to the VM from a local machine, as it contains software that I'm going to be testing and I need to connect to the web server that will be running on the VM.

It seems as if incoming connections aren't being bridged from the physical network adapter to the virtual one correctly.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I've put in a support ticket, but Synology is taking forever to respond.

Thank you

Rusty1281
Sagacious
Sagacious

Re: Unable to reach a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM from an outside machine

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Well how does your network configuration inside VMM looks like? Do you have a network thats using any of your LAN adapters on your host side?
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

risket
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Unable to reach a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM from an outside machine

Unread post by risket » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I realized that I didn't take into account this was a Windows Server installation and that much more needed to be manually configured.

My problem was that I didn't enable some of the Windows Firewall Incoming Rules, which was preventing me from pinging the VM, specifically "File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In) and the VNC Server rule was set to domain only for some reason. Because of the problems I haven't added the VM to our domain yet. I also forgot to turn on Remote Desktop connections.

So basically the problem was my firewall configuration.

Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Virtual Machine Manager”