Where do I find a "legacy Backup" option?

Discussion room for the Hyper Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
SynKomrad
Trainee
Trainee

Where do I find a "legacy Backup" option?

Unread post by SynKomrad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:14 am

in these forums., I read about the legacy backup option for Hyper Backup where the backed up files are stored in their original folder/file format on an external USB drive. ie not a database style file. The reason I want that is that drive will be backed up to the cloud, and I have an app on phone that can download the backed up files wherever I'm at. Say I'm on vacation in a foreign country, lose my passport. I can pull down pictures of it and print them up at the embassy. That makes getting a temp passport much easier . Trust me, I've had to do it.

But I cannot find the option in Hyper Backup. I've tried USB Local and USB local (single ) options. The destination opts are Device Name / Folder name, and that is it. It would be nice to have a short 1 -2 sentence description for each option that describes what the output is for each option. I write a lot of command line tools and one of the first things I write is the help output that tells the user what that application and each parameter does.

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

My Goal is to have
1) Local backup with discrete files ( think rsync ) on a USB attached hard drive.
2)Plug drive into Mac and backup to Backblaze service once a month for offsite backup.

References
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=117771
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=117696

Edit:
I started running "Local Folder & USB (singe)". and it seemed to be making a single file with all of the backup data, so I stopped it. I'm currently running the "Local Folder & USB" backup which should be finished tonight ( MST time ) . So far the output is the folder name I selected "synology_2" and an "hbk" extension. The full name is "synology_2.hbk" . That doesn't seem to be an rsync-style backup , but I'll check it when I get home from work tonight and see what the final output looks like.
Last edited by SynKomrad on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

akahan
Distinguished
Distinguished

Re: Where do I find a "legacy Backup" option?

Unread post by akahan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 am

You'd use "Local Folder & USB". What's the problem you're having with that?
It will duplicate the selected folder structure onto the USB drive.
Of course, first you have to format the USB drive and set it up as a shared folder.

Alternatively, you could use the USB Copy app.

FordGuy61
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by FordGuy61 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 am

Comment: If the goal is to get your data in the cloud, look at Cloud Sync. It will sync your data directly to several cloud providers. No external drive needed. If Cloud Sync does not meet your needs, check out rclone, rclone.org. It is CLI based and not as easy to set up as Cloud Sync. However, it is very reliable once configured & working.

Hyper Backup:

"Local Folder & USB (single version)" is the correct choice. It will copy the selected files from the NAS to a USB attached drive. It is a straight file copy, like dragging a folder in File Station.

First, in Control Panel -> External Devices, format the drive.

Second, in Control Panel -> Shared Folder, create a shared folder on the external drive (like setting up a shared folder on the internal drives).

Now for Hyper Backup:
Launch Hyper Backup, click on the Plus sign, choose Data Backup Task, choose "Local folder & USB (single version)."
On Backup Destination Settings, for Shared Folder choose the shared folder you just created on the external USB drive.
On Data Backup, choose the folders you want to copy to the external drive.
On Application Backup, choose any apps you wish to backup.
On Backup settings:
  • Task: A name. Can be anything. Doesn't matter.
  • Directory: This is the directory where your data will be copied. Hyper Backup will create the directory. It will be located in the Shared Folder on the external drive.
  • Other settings - notifications, schedule, etc - as desired.
If you look in File Station after running the task, you will see:
<hostname>/<shared folder>/<backup directory>/<your data>

If you ssh into your NAS, the structure is:
/volumeUSB1/usbshare/<backup director>/<your data>
(may be /volumeUSB2, etc depending on how many USB drives are attached to your NAS).

pyld76
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by pyld76 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm

If you tell it to use the "local folder and USB" option, while the directory may have a funny hbk name, when you drill into it, it's going to look like a standard rsync'd filesystem.

SynKomrad
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by SynKomrad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 pm

pyld76 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm
If you tell it to use the "local folder and USB" option, while the directory may have a funny hbk name, when you drill into it, it's going to look like a standard rsync'd filesystem.
Yes, it works good. Unfortunately, I had to re-engineer the solution because I found out that Synology cannot write to HFS+ file system . it can only write to FAT32 or ext4.

FAT32 - limited to 2 TB partitions and I’m backing up 7TB to 10TB drive.
ext4 - writes ok but to read I have to mount it on my Mac using 3rd party Fuse drivers . Backblaze will not backup mounted volumes l.

My solution is to connect drive to my Mac using a USB sled , format it HFS+ , and rsync the files to the drive over the network.

It’s a lot slower, but it should work as Backblaze docs say that it backs up USB drives.

I think it’s going to take a 2 days to rsync the first time , and a very long time to backup to the cloud.

This will give me a fast local backup and a slow offsite backup , which meets my minimum requiments .

I haven’t researched to see if I can get Synology to support writing to HFS+ , but I will . exFat might also be an option . if you know a way to get Synology to *write* one of these formats , feel free to post it here.

akahan
Distinguished
Distinguished

Unread post by akahan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Isn’t exfat available thru exfat package? License fee applies...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/exFAT

SynKomrad
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by SynKomrad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm

akahan wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm
Isn’t exfat available thru exfat package? License fee applies...

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/packages/exFAT
I don’t have the instructions , but i found some reddit posts about it .

I’m going to try to connect to my synology over vpn from work . If I can’t do that I’ll wait until I get home and try installing exfat on my Synology then .

it would save a me ton of time so $4 is definitely worth it.

FordGuy61
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by FordGuy61 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Tell me if I'm missing something, but it seems you're making this too complex. You can move your data directly to the cloud and directly to a USB drive without involving other systems or paying for software.

1. Use Cloud Sync to copy your data from your DS directly to BackBlaze.
  • Copies data in original file/folder format
  • Additions/Deletions/Changes detected & uploaded immediately
2. Use Hyper Backup to copy your data to a USB drive.
  • Versioning capability available if desired
  • Can be scheduled to run at desired interval
3. If you need to sync USB drive with BackBlaze, use rclone, rclone.org
  • Can be scheduled to run at desired interval (via cron)
  • Free / Open Source
  • Supports external drives (Cloud Sync does not)

SynKomrad
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by SynKomrad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:56 am

FordGuy61 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm
Tell me if I'm missing something, but it seems you're making this too complex. You can move your data directly to the cloud and directly to a USB drive without involving other systems or paying for software.

1. Use Cloud Sync to copy your data from your DS directly to BackBlaze.
  • Additions/Deletions/Changes detected & uploaded immediately
2. Use Hyper Backup to copy your data to a USB drive.
  • Versioning capability available if desired
  • Can be scheduled to run at desired interval
3. If you need to sync USB drive with BackBlaze, use rclone, rclone.org
  • Can be scheduled to run at desired interval (via cron)
  • Free / Open Source
  • Supports external drives (Cloud Sync does not)
How is it complicated ?

1. Plug into Synology . backup Synology to drive with Hyberbackup

2. Plug into Macbook . Backblaze ($5 a month version, not expensive B2 ) automatically backs up both USB drive and Macbook Pro.

FordGuy61
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by FordGuy61 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 am

Yeah, see your point. Especially at $5 / month.
Was looking for a solution that did not involve having to move connections.
Also, Cloud Sync works with B2. Probably not with personal version.
Cheers.

Return to “Hyper Backup”