Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
ly422
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

Unread post by ly422 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am

We have a DS214+ running DSM 6.2-23739, which has been added to an AD domain using WIndows Server 2012 R2.
Most of our workstations are running Windows 10 Pro, and have been added to the domain.
A few workstations are not domain members - some of these are on Windows 10 Home, and some on Pro.
The setup worked well for a long time - users on non-domain workstations ran a batch file with commands like:
net use X: \\<nasname>\share/user:domain\domainusername
Recently users with non-domain workstations have been unable to map drives - they get ""System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied".
They can map drives which are on the WIndows server - just not on the Synology.

We have checked things DNS settings and ability to ping the NAS by name - all seems normal.
We have removed and re-added the NAS to the domain - doesn't help.

Incidentally, Mac clients are having a similar problem.

Any ideas?

I will be away for some time, so I am asking my colleague Sunday to monitor this thread and try any suggestions.

Thanks,

Richard

Return to “Windows AD Domain”