Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

All questions pertaining to Windows Active Directory Service can go here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
ly422
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

Unread post by ly422 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am

We have a DS214+ running DSM 6.2-23739, which has been added to an AD domain using WIndows Server 2012 R2.
Most of our workstations are running Windows 10 Pro, and have been added to the domain.
A few workstations are not domain members - some of these are on Windows 10 Home, and some on Pro.
The setup worked well for a long time - users on non-domain workstations ran a batch file with commands like:
net use X: \\<nasname>\share/user:domain\domainusername
Recently users with non-domain workstations have been unable to map drives - they get ""System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied".
They can map drives which are on the WIndows server - just not on the Synology.

We have checked things DNS settings and ability to ping the NAS by name - all seems normal.
We have removed and re-added the NAS to the domain - doesn't help.

Incidentally, Mac clients are having a similar problem.

Any ideas?

I will be away for some time, so I am asking my colleague Sunday to monitor this thread and try any suggestions.

Thanks,

Richard

PolishPaul
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

Unread post by PolishPaul » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Given the error it sounds like you have a permissions issue on the share. Are you supplying the password? Can you map a drive on the workstation manually to see if it works? What error does it generate?

ly422
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cannot map drives from non-domain workstations

Unread post by ly422 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks, PolishPaul, for the reply.
The user enters the password at a prompt generated by the batch file.
We've tried copying the password (which works for accessing our Windows servers) and pasting it to make sure it's correct.
Last week I made a change in the File Services > SMB settings - I changed the Max SMB Protocol from SMB2 to SMB3. I kept the minimum at SMB1. Then I restarted the Synology.
Windows Home and Mac users reported that they could access shared folders again.
And today they were unable to access the folders again.

The odd thing is that we have another Synology on the same network - a DS216+ii, joined to the same domain, - and it has none of these connectivity issues. I've set up a temporary shared folder with the same permissions as the DS214+, and users can access it with Windows Home and Mac, no problem.

Any ideas?
Would a network reset (as described at https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... nology_NAS) help?
I'm reluctant to experiment with anything risky as I'm administering this box remotely, and 20+ colleagues use it actively.

Richard

Return to “Windows AD Domain”