Slow internet speed from VM

The discussion room for the Virtual DSM Manager package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Willems Tech
Novice
Novice

Slow internet speed from VM

Unread post by Willems Tech » Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 am

I have a new DS1517+ equipped with 16GB memory and dual M2 SSD drives.

I created my very first VM running Windows 10 Home edition (not "activated the license yet) It has all 4 cores and 8GB of memory allocated to the VM. And there is nothing else running on this NAS.

The test network is Gigabit router and switch and wired with Cat6a. Normal access to this DS1517+ is fast hower I am kind of dispointed about the speed of the VM. It works but for example typing has a lag...

I think it has something to do with the network connection of the VM to the network. It currently using the default shared setup.

I need to access some SAAS via this VM therefor internet connection must be fast. However when I run a speed test its very slow and nothing compared to what is available on the router it is directly connected to.

What do I need to do to make this work faster?

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks!

Rogier

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Slow internet speed from VM

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

I have 0 lag when I type on my VMs (win10 or 7) and internet speed is about 90% of my total bandwidth (but VMs are not idle while testing so the speed can be even faster).

Are you connecting to that VM via RDP? If not try it you will have much much better performance then via browser.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Willems Tech
Novice
Novice

Unread post by Willems Tech » Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am

I am hoping that that will resolve the problem.

See my other post asking for help how to set this up :-)
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

Rusty1281
Proficient
Proficient

Unread post by Rusty1281 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:31 pm

noticed that topic as well and responded
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC

Return to “Virtual Machine Manager”