How to stop Hyper Backup from linking unrelated apps and folders?

Discussion room for the Hyper Backup package
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

How to stop Hyper Backup from linking unrelated apps and folders?

Unread post by Twisted World » Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 pm

I backup my data in various ways, depending on the importance of it. For example, my real important data (mainly photos) is backed up to an external NAS using Drive but also to an external HD that I swap around weekly with another one that is also stored remotely.

Movies (less important) have an exact copy on another (remote) NAS, but new movies are just stored in a separate folder and once in a while I copy these to an external drive and take that with me to the remote NAS. (And then move them from the separate folder to the regular one.)

To backup app data, however, I only found Hyper Backup useable. Hyper Backup with send the copy to another NAS that I have setup as my Hyper Backup Vault. Recently I noticed backups failing and discovered that the backup data got ridiculously large. It appeared that Hyper Backup also started to back up my 46.000+ MP3 files for no apparent reason!

I tried to switch of the backup of the "music" share, but got greeted by this annoying message:

Why is that and how to stop this? Neither Drive, Moments or Office have data in the music folder. I went ahead anyway and tried to re-enable the backup of the Drive, Moments and Office afterwards, but that simply included the music folder again. It doesn't make sense to me! I didn't enable the personal music folder and again; no relation to the Drive, Moment or Office apps and this share with music.

My music share is actually a sync from an external HD on my iMac, so it is already backed up. I make a hard clone of the entire drive every weekend so I don't want my NAS to also backup 46.000 MP3 files just because I want my app data backed up.

Anyone has a clue what is happening here???
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Re: How to stop Hyper Backup from linking unrelated apps and folders?

Unread post by sincarne » Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 am

you have music folder setup as drive team folder?

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri May 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Damn, you're right. There is the link for Drive and the music share. I actually DO share the folder as a team folder so my iMac can sync it using the drive client.

Knowing the why doesn't make it less annoying though. :? If I disable Drive (I can live with losing its settings) it will also disable Moments and Office because that apparently use Drive as well. So no matter what, I always end up in the chain-reaction of needing to backup my complete .mp3 collection just to be able to backup the setting of some app. Checking, comparing and backing up close to a terabyte of data just so backup a few kilobytes. It is kind of ridiculous. :evil:

I thought I was being a smart-ass by then just using Cloud Station for syncing my music but Cloud Station and Drive don't play nice together. Grrr...

Anyone got any reasonably good alternative to sync my music folder from iTunes on my iMac with the music share for Audio Station on my Synology so I can disable it as a team folder???
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 pm

resilio sync in docker

Return to “Hyper Backup”