Time Machine Backup When MacBook Asleep

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Craig_w
I'm New!
I'm New!

Time Machine Backup When MacBook Asleep

Unread post by Craig_w » Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Recently bought a Synology and have it setup and working (mostly) but while my Time Machine backups are working without issue whenever my MacBook is open and awake it never seems to backup when the MacBook is closed and asleep (connected to power), my understanding is the MacBook should backup when asleep if power nap is enabled and its connected to power? Maybe it does just not with Synology.

Any help would be appreciated!

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Time Machine Backup When MacBook Asleep

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Craig_w wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 pm
...my understanding is...
Where did you get this understanding? Maybe you are right, but it is MY understanding that the power nap is just your Mac napping, sleeping, idling, doing nothing at all. MY understanding is that the difference between a power nap and a "normal" nap is that one will retain the current state in memory so use a little battery power but is very fast to "wake up" from and the other will save the state to disk, making it use no power at all but takes a little more time to wake up. I'm not even sure which is which because I don't use either method on my iMac and I don't have a MacBook.

But again, that is MY understanding, so I'm wondering why you think a Mac will backup while napping. :?:
The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

Craig_w
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Craig_w » Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi, it’s in the power settings of the MacBook it suggests that if power nap is enabled the MacBook will be able to do various things such as update software, check for emails etc and one of the tasks it mentions is time machine backups. But I’m by no means an expert so perhaps I’ve misunderstood and it’s normal that it doesn’t backup while asleep.

TBH it’s not a huge issue as theoretically as it’s a sleep there wouldn’t be many changes since it’s last backed up anyway.

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri May 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Craig_w wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:01 pm
But I’m by no means an expert...
I'm absolutely no expert either! :lol: So if it is mentioned in the settings, then yeah; it probably should do the backups. I assume your Time Machine setup it functioning as expected when the lazy piece of bits is not napping? :wink:
The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

Craig_w
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Craig_w » Sun May 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah it backs up fine when it’s awake

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”