Cannot Connect to Synology via Remote FTP

For issues regarding settings and usage of FTP and WebDAV service, post it here!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
AGuyWhoIsBored
I'm New!
I'm New!

Cannot Connect to Synology via Remote FTP

Unread post by AGuyWhoIsBored » Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 am

Hello!

I'm having issues remotely connecting to my Synology NAS when I'm using my external IP (I should note that I'm trying to connect when I'm on my local network).

I want to be able to "Add a network share" in Windows & macOS that maps to the FTP server, but it will not connect.

In macOS, when I attempt to Connect to a Server in Finder using my external IP / DDNS (it translates to the external IP as well), it reports that: "This file server will not allow any additional users to log on. Try to connect again later."
I don't have any connection caps setup for FTP, and the account I'm trying to remote in with is the admin account.

I have used ftptest.net to test if my FTP server is working / visible externally, and it reports that it does.

I am running DSM v6.1.6 on a DS3018xs.

If more information is needed, just let me know and I will be happy to give it!
If anyone has any suggestions / ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

-Duncan

AGuyWhoIsBored
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Cannot Connect to Synology via Remote FTP

Unread post by AGuyWhoIsBored » Fri May 04, 2018 1:54 am

bump

Anybody have any ideas? I would really appreciate it if I could get this fixed :D

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Fri May 04, 2018 7:03 pm

I had the same problem and I think (am pretty sure) that is has to do with the modem/router used. I had a Draytek modem before (best brand, running circles around any other, even Synology) and that one had no problems connecting to internal devices using outside ip addresses or domain names. Now I am stuck with a modem/router provided by my ISP and it is a total piece of ZyXEL crap! It can't connect to the internet and then back in.

I solved my personal situation by installing the free preference pane "hosts" on my iMac, telling it to resolve my domain name to the internal IP of my NAS. Now I can just use my domain name and never even leave the local network through my crappy modem/router.

I don't really understand why you would want to connect to your local NAS using your external IP and I can't come up with a good solution to do that. Exactly why are you trying to use your external IP to connect locally?
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

AGuyWhoIsBored
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by AGuyWhoIsBored » Sat May 05, 2018 4:58 am

Twisted World wrote:I had the same problem and I think (am pretty sure) that is has to do with the modem/router used. I had a Draytek modem before (best brand, running circles around any other, even Synology) and that one had no problems connecting to internal devices using outside ip addresses or domain names. Now I am stuck with a modem/router provided by my ISP and it is a total piece of ZyXEL crap! It can't connect to the internet and then back in.

I solved my personal situation by installing the free preference pane "hosts" on my iMac, telling it to resolve my domain name to the internal IP of my NAS. Now I can just use my domain name and never even leave the local network through my crappy modem/router.

I don't really understand why you would want to connect to your local NAS using your external IP and I can't come up with a good solution to do that. Exactly why are you trying to use your external IP to connect locally?
Thank you for your reply!

Interesting, I will have to look into it...

The main reason I want to do this is because my Synology is on a different subnet compared to the computers that I want to connect it to. I should describe the way my network is setup:
We have one router coming in from the Modem (purely a modem), which goes into a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X. This router is custom configured to route four different subnets (192.168.1.x to 192.168.4.x) all throughout our house (to isolate potential network viruses), so different computers in the building are connected to different subnets.

I also wanted to test the functionality of remote FTP in general and see if it work (I'm now realizing that may raise problems involving NAT Loopback, etc...)

I ultimately want to be able to connect to it locally AND remotely using the same mechanism (FTP).
At the moment, I can connect to it locally just fine, and I can connect to it remotely using FileZilla with it being "smart" (it auto-detects that the passive reply reports a non-routable address, and automatically switches to using the external IP which is correct when it is being used remotely).

Now that I can access it remotely using FileZilla, I want to be able to use macOS Finder's "Connect to Server" and Windows' "Map Network Drive" to be able to mount the NAS natively both locally and externally, as both of them currently do not work.

When I am connecting to it remotely in macOS Finder, I get the error "There was a problem connecting to the server: Check the server name or IP address, and then try again."
When I am connecting to it locally in macOS Finder (on the same network but different subnets), I get the error "There was a problem connecting to the server. This file server will not allow any additional users to logon."

For the local instance, all of my permissions in DSM are set (the accounts I am using to login are all children of the admin account).

I will give more information if needed, and thank you!

-Duncan

Return to “FTP & WebDAV Server”