Does it make sense to use Synology Wordpress to create a website that's hosted elsewhere?

Discussion room for Wordpress, a weblog based social networking community.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
smuldal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Does it make sense to use Synology Wordpress to create a website that's hosted elsewhere?

Unread post by smuldal » Tue May 01, 2018 2:45 pm

I wanted to create a little public-interest website and host it on my DS216SE. I installed the Synology Wordpress package and built my site, but I can only view it locally - I haven't managed to host it myself.
Reluctantly I'm having to admit I probably don't know enough Wordpress and web hosting to be able to self-host. Really I just want to get the website out there - I'd be happy to pay for a cheap website hosting service.
But does it make sense for someone to create a website using the Wordpress package and then export it somehow to the hosting service? I've published HTML-page websites before, but Wordpress seems very different. It looks like I would be expected to subscribe to a Wordpress service at the hosting site, and build the website there - is that right?
Would my Synology Wordpress then be obsolete, and I'd just maintain the site using the hosting site Wordpress, or could I still maintain my website using the Synology Wordpress?
Is it difficult to 'publish' my Wordpress website to a website hosting service?
I only started using the Wordpress software because it was there and it was free...

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Does it make sense to use Synology Wordpress to create a website that's hosted elsewhere?

Unread post by Twisted World » Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 pm

smuldal wrote:But does it make sense for someone to create a website using the Wordpress package and then export it somehow to the hosting service?
Not really, IMHO. But you CAN use your local installation to try out new plugins, themes or custom scripts. That way your live site won't be down if you F up. Once tested locally, you can apply your changes to your live site. I use Coda 2 for this. It has the ability to use a local and a remote site sort of simultaneously, perfect for testing and then updating your live site with the changes you made to your local test site.
smuldal wrote:It looks like I would be expected to subscribe to a Wordpress service at the hosting site, and build the website there - is that right?
There are some specialized WordPress hosting services that offer ready-installed WordPress setups and make sure it keeps running. Ranging from warning you about potential security issues up till full blown auto-updating and theme offers. Wordpress.com is probably the best known WordPress specialized host. But the WordPress package itself is totally free, as are many themes and plugins. You can download it at wordpress.ORG (not .com) and install it at your own hosting service. Your host needs to support php and mysql, but as far as I now even the cheapest and most crappy hosts offer this by default. Many hosts even have some service running to auto-install popular packages for you so you can install WordPress with the click of a button and don't need to do the entire setup yourself/
smuldal wrote:Would my Synology Wordpress then be obsolete, and I'd just maintain the site using the hosting site Wordpress, or could I still maintain my website using the Synology Wordpress?
If it is a simple site that only changes the content and there is not much testing, installing and custom scripting going on, then I would say you don't need your WordPress setup on your Synology.

But on the other hand, if the site is really small and you expect only a handful of visitor a day, it will be cheaper to just register a domain name, point is at your machine at home and host the thing yourself. But of course that would require some more setting up then going with a host that offers easy scripting installation.
smuldal wrote:Is it difficult to 'publish' my Wordpress website to a website hosting service?
No. WordPress has export and import features. Just make sure your online version has the same theme and plugins and then just export/import your posts and pages.
smuldal wrote:I only started using the Wordpress software because it was there and it was free...
It is also free to use it with a webhost. Of course you need to pay for the hosting, but the WordPress package itself is free to download and use. Basically all Synology did was the very same thing many webhosts do; offer you an easier way to get WordPress up and running. If you want to install it manually, you need to upload all the files using FTP, make sure you have login credentials for a mySQL database and then run the WordPress setup. Using the Synology package also does all this (sort off) but without you noticing it.
[ DS918+ | DS916+ | DS216+II | DS1815+ | DS115j | EDS14 | DS212+ | DS211+ | DS411slim ]

smuldal
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Does it make sense to use Synology Wordpress to create a website that's hosted elsewhere?

Unread post by smuldal » Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Thank you for your help. As this is a small website I think I'll try one more time to set up self-hosting before I give up!

Steve1200
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by Steve1200 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 am

Some friends ask me to post instructions for setting up a website on Synology. The instructions are to long to post here and I don't know if it will help but here is a link to my Synology website skdavis.net. There is some info on WordPress as well as other things if you look around. Note there could be some pauses as I'm having some issues with my ISP. (I live in the sticks)

Return to “Wordpress”