Trouble setting up custom DDNS service (namecheap)

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
DirtyHarry
Trainee
Trainee

Trouble setting up custom DDNS service (namecheap)

Unread post by DirtyHarry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am

Hi everybody,

recently I have tried to setup a custom DDNS Service provider in order to link my domain which I have registered at namecheap to my DS415+.
I am on the latest firmware on the DiskStation.

What I did, was following the instructions by namecheap on how to setup a Query URL.
I then configured a new service provider in External Access -> DDNS -> Customize:

The full Query URL is:

Code: Select all

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=@&domain=__HOSTNAME__&password=__PASSWORD__&ip=__MYIP__

With that, I think the settings for the custom DDNS Service Provider (External Access -> DDNS -> Add) should be someting like this:
Service provider: *namecheap
Hostname: [your.domain]
Username/Email: [it is unused, so fill in anything you like]
Password/Key: [Your Dynamic DNS password provided by namecheap]

I also configured the needed host record in the control panel in my namecheap account:

Actually, this seems to be working alright. I can see that the Value for the IP in the namecheap control panel / website is updated as it should.
However, in DSM, I always end up with this error:

Failed to connect to server. Please check the network connection of the server.

Does anybody have an idea on how to get this formally right as well?

DirtyHarry
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Trouble setting up custom DDNS service (namecheap)

Unread post by DirtyHarry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Udpate: Support says it's known issue that will be resolved in DSM 6.2!

tqila
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tqila » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:12 pm

DirtyHarry wrote:Udpate: Support says it's known issue that will be resolved in DSM 6.2!
just your issue with namecheap or custom DDNS in general?

I also have a similar issues with the custom DDNS, but with loopia.
for me its just saying "loading.."

I have been using it forever and never had any issues, until a couple of days ago.
and talking to loopia they say the arent even seeing any Connection tries from me.

hopefully the dsm 6.2 will solve it for me as well!

anyone know when it will be out?

DirtyHarry
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by DirtyHarry » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,

my experience is solely based on namecheap. The only other DDNS service I have running is the one by Synology, and it is working OK!
Sorry that I can not add anything further to this.

tqila
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tqila » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am

After having the problem on both my NAS'es (both latest DSM) i switched to updating my DDNS from my windows server using some software for that.
So now the DDNS updating works perfectly for me.

In other words, there is no doubt that something is broken with the DDNS-updating service on one of the latest DSM updates. Not sure if its the latest or the one before that since i didnt check in between updates.

Anyway, not planning on switching back to it since it isnt reliable. And since you mention it will be fixed first in the 3.2 update im not planning on waiting that long. i mean, that is atleast a couple of month away by my guesstimate. I'll stick to doing the updates from my windows server from now on.

DirtyHarry
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by DirtyHarry » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks for the information.

For me it's actually not that big of a deal, since the IP gets registered in the end. It is not great to see DSM showing an error message, but as long as it works and as long as it gets fixed in one of the next udpates, I am fine with it.
I do not have an alternative since I do not have another machine running 24/7 anyway, so...

anschmid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by anschmid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:38 pm

I had the same problem here and have been playing around with it a bit. For what it's worth here is my solution.

Setup a Custom DDNS provider using the following query string:

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=__HOSTNAME__&domain=__USERNAME__&password=__PASSWORD__&ip=__MYIP__
Then use in the GUI:
Hostname: <hostname>
Username/email: <domain>
Password/Key: <password>

While this updates the DNS at Namecheap correctly it still throws an error message that it wasn't able to connect to the server.

a1soysauce
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by a1soysauce » Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm

anschmid wrote:I had the same problem here and have been playing around with it a bit. For what it's worth here is my solution.

Setup a Custom DDNS provider using the following query string:

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=__HOSTNAME__&domain=__USERNAME__&password=__PASSWORD__&ip=__MYIP__
Then use in the GUI:
Hostname: <hostname>
Username/email: <domain>
Password/Key: <password>

While this updates the DNS at Namecheap correctly it still throws an error message that it wasn't able to connect to the server.
Your connection string would work great when the tool gets fixed, but here is how I got it working with a dynamic IP.
I used the same string and hardcoded everything into the update url but decided not to use the IP portion of it. When not specifying an IP, it seems to know what your IP you are coming from already.

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=mycloud&domain=mydomain.com&password=hardcodedpassword

AnthonyGam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Trouble setting up custom DDNS service namecheap

Unread post by AnthonyGam » Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm

I tried and I get exactly the same error.

Is there anyway to get some more verbose or any logging that could help diagnose whats happening?

nis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nis » Tue May 29, 2018 12:06 am

So DSM 6.2 is out and this still won't work for me on namecheap. I've tried all the methods listed above yet still get "failed to connect to the server" error.

Am I missing something with 6.2? The DDNS interface doesn't look like it's changed at all. I just has a bunch of new predefined services in the list but no namecheap.

** UPDATE **
Some testing shows that it is actually working, but still throws the error.
I used this string for the custom url

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=@&domain=__USERNAME__&password=__PASSWORD__&ip=__MYIP__

renarsvilnis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by renarsvilnis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:50 am

Can also confirm, having the issue using DSM 6.2, getting "Failed to connect to the server. Please check the network connection of the server.".

I can't understand if either DSM can't parse the response or is something wrong with the request url format, parameters.

Michdi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Michdi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Today I registered my domain at Namecheap and I can only say what the others have said. Newest update gives me
IP-Adresse XX.XX.XX.XXX konnte für Hostname domain.tld [Unbekannter Fehler] nicht registriert werden
(Same error, only in German)... I didn't find an option to disable the DDNS Error Notifications yet :/

acesabe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by acesabe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Investigating this a bit further I'd say it's an issue on Namecheap's side, if you take the DDNS url you have set in your DSM as per the instructions from the Namecheap howto linked above;

https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=myhost&domain=mytopleveldomain.com&password=xyz123xyz123xyz123xyz1234&ip=93.184.216.34
(I used the IP address of example.com for testing purposes)

then paste it into your web browser you get a response like:

SETDNSHOSTeng93.184.216.3400true

which indicates it has set the DNS to point to the IP address used and a few minutes later pinging my ddns domain I get the IP 93.184.216.34 as reply so it works.

Using curl from the command line (Mac/Linux)to query the webserver you get error messages indicating domain not recognised:

curl https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=host&domain=somedomain.com&password=123qwe123wqe123qwe123&ip=93.184.216.34
returns the following:
[1] 2990
[2] 2991
[3] 2992
[2]- Done domain=somedomain.com
[3]+ Done password=123qwe123wqe123qwe123
me@hal ~ $ <?xml version="1.0"?><interface-response><Command>SETDNSHOST</Command><Language>eng</Language><ErrCount>1</ErrCount><errors><Err1>Domain name not found</Err1></errors><ResponseCount>1</ResponseCount><responses><response><ResponseNumber>316585</ResponseNumber><ResponseString>Validation error; not found; domain name(s)</ResponseString></response></responses><Done>true</Done><debug><![CDATA[]]></debug></interface-response>
(personal info in output above redacted)

So the webserver at Namecheap is throwing errors back to DSM which is causing the errors seen in the control panel, but it is working OK (with or without the @ip= at the end of the url).

The annoying thing is the error message notifications...

nis
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by nis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 am

You can turn off the ddns notifications in control panel > notification > advanced > system > DDNS registration failed

DirtyHarry
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by DirtyHarry » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm

nis wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 am
You can turn off the ddns notifications in control panel > notification > advanced > system > DDNS registration failed
This is helpful, thanks!

I still wonder if there is / will be a real solution for the issue.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”