All shares on one disk disappeared with metadata removed by system

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Mock
Apprentice
Apprentice

All shares on one disk disappeared with metadata removed by system

Unread post by Mock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am

Im running a DS1515+ and DX510 running on BTRFS where i suddenly could see my share missed all the files, at first i thought it was some permission i setup in a wrong way, but when logging in with admin and filestation still reported no files, i feared that i was hacked, and somebody deleted the files or a workstation with SMB access could have deleted the files. but i had some issue a few days ago, not important for this, but here i enabled all logs like file access, and start searching trough what could have caused it, and what i could see from the general log was that the system had removed 3 shares without no explanation, all the shares was on a single Basic SHR volume inside the DX510, what i also could see was a lot of other shares said restored, but not at the same time.

I think the issues could be of a disk not spinning up correctly, or maybe loosing power in some kind, don't know if this can cause a share to be removed. It exactly the same that happens when from DSM removing a share and it says all data also will be deleted if removing the share. But an automatic process that removes all data is not smart. i didn't get any E-mails, about crash or power loss from the logs, one shares removed/restored and only disks from DX510 was affected. I know it uses some powersave, and maybe this also could have something to do with it.

The good news is its possible to recover all the files from Windows, even with a BTRFS system, i remember the old days where it was almost impossible to get data out of a EXT3 MDA because of the software raid without being a Linux guru. I tried some different software, like UFS Explore that didn't help much, it was able to see the partition with a ok health, but didn't find a single file.

than decided to go with ReclaiMe File Recovery that found all partitions, and in the scan process i could see all files start appearing as they where before, and in the scanning process it was also possible to restore files, and see content to confirm it was succesful. so at this moment to be sure im buying some new disks, but still hope for an explanation on how this can happen on some disks that havn't failed.
DS1515+ (16GB) | DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2 | SHR Raid 5 | DX510
Synology RT2600ac SRM 1.1.3-6447 Update 4 |(Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit 10.0.14393)

Mock
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: All shares on one disk disappeared with metadata removed by system

Unread post by Mock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 pm

It very hard to say what happened to the disk where all files was disappearing, and only the share name was left. But seems like this disk is not good anyway, after recovering all the data, i tried to copy data back on the disk, and after 200GB the disk failed, and the log showed a lot of Bad sectors. So it might be the cause of the problem. The other shares i was speaking about, was solved by trying to re plug one of the disk, where i came online again, and it said the 3 shares missing was restored, This disk didn't show the share like the bad disk, so it was two issues it seems, that looked like one.

but two new 10TB disks will arrive tomorrow so the 2TB disk will get dumped to the trash.
DS1515+ (16GB) | DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2 | SHR Raid 5 | DX510
Synology RT2600ac SRM 1.1.3-6447 Update 4 |(Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit 10.0.14393)

Return to “System Management”