Lost Authenticator App and error bypassing 2 step Authentication.

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Memnoch9992
I'm New!
I'm New!

Lost Authenticator App and error bypassing 2 step Authentication.

Unread post by Memnoch9992 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:45 am

Hello, First off I'm not really sure if this is in the correct place. Please do let me know if there is a better place to post this.

I was wondering, is there any work around at all (short of resetting my NAS) for the 2 step authentication? I had an authenticator app configured on a Windows phone that died on me. Unfortunately I don't have email recovery set up on the DS214se

I get it... work arounds are kinda against the whole point... I just have to ask is all.

If I do need to do a reset, is there a way of doing that without being able to get into the OS? One of the disks is a Block level iSCSI share, should my files remain on that disk and be accessible after?

Thanks!

Chris

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Lost Authenticator App and error bypassing 2 step Authentication.

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:19 am

knowledgebase wrote:To reset users' 2-Step verification settings:

Users belonging to the administrators group can reset the 2-step verification settings of other users.

Go to Control Panel > User.
Double-click the user whose 2-step verification you wish to reset.
On the User Information tab, click the button Reset 2-Step Verification.

Note:

If a user belonging to the administrators group is not available, you can press the physical reset button on your Synology NAS to reset DSM settings and disable 2-step verification.
https://www.synology.com/knowledgebase/ ... nology_NAS
https://www.synology.com/knowledgebase/ ... nology_NAS
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

gstom
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gstom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Unfortunately a soft reset (on SRM Router) of the router does not reset the 2factor authentification as it does on DSM for NAS.

I did a soft reset on the router. The setup wizzard only let me use the only admin in the system and does not reset the the default 'admin'. So I used this only admin with new passwords but after finishing the wizzard it asks again for the 6 digits, it does not send an emergency code nor does the 8 digit backup code work.

big design failure

Dr. Nooo
Trainee
Trainee

2 step verification locked me out, again.

Unread post by Dr. Nooo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Some time ago I enabled 2-step verification with the google authenticator. Some time later I tried to login but none of the codes would work. I had to rely on the emergency code sent to me e-mail. I removed the verification and set it up again, hoping that it was just some kind of error.

Now my codes don't work again. Only this time I'm not getting an e-mail. I tried several times during the past few days.

So now what? I only found a tutorial that requires SSH, which I don't have.
https://www.ask-sheldon.com/reset-authe ... skstation/

Oh yeah, and I don't have the authenticator anymore either because I flashed another ROM today. For good measure.

hstruik
I'm New!
I'm New!

Two way authentication

Unread post by hstruik » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I secured my NAS with two way authentication using Google Authenticator.
Got a new phone and just found out there is no backup of all the used logins!

The NAS should send a mail with a recovery code but does not.
I can not login, please advise.

Dr. Nooo
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by Dr. Nooo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Nevermind. I dragged all the files off the NAS, reset it and spend my entire weekend setting it up again (which obviously didn't include enabling that broken 2-step bull*).

cygnusrift
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cygnusrift » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I am having the same problem.

Have just got my NAS unit out after two years and I realise that even though I know the password to my admin account the two factor aunthentication is locking it up for me. The authenticator app is still there on my phone but is unable to receive the codes. When I clicked on the lost phone option it says it has sent an email but I havn't received any.
Only option was a hard reset.

Return to “System Management”