Media Indexing Loop

Questions about the Synology Photo Station can be placed here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
browncamry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Media Indexing Loop

Unread post by browncamry » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so this is my first post!

I've had my DS916+ for half a year now, and it has served me well, until my last round of updates. I'm a heavy Photo Station user, and it is why I purchased the Synology over other competitive products.

As mentioned, I've recently updated my DSM and PhotoSharing app at the time of writing this post.
- DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2
- Photo Sharing 6.7.0-3414

My Media Indexing service is constantly looping, and it's been running for days and doesn't pick up new photos anymore. It is constantly at "Indexing media files..." state. I'm also worried that it might actually damage my hard drives.

I tried deleting the database and re-indexing from scratch (deleted /volume1/@database/pgsql and rebooted my DS916+).

When running queries against the index database (sudo psql mediaserver postgres), I notice the following:
- select count(*) from photo; results in the same value. This tells me that the indexing service has finished traversing through all photos, and there is no new photos to index.
count
-------
(1 row)
However, when I look at the ID values on the photo table, it is continuously being rolled over.
- select min(id) from photo; results in a different value, and so does select max(id).
It seems like the oldest index record is being deleted and replaced back as a new index record.
mediaserver=# select min(id) from photo;
min
-------
(1 row)
And the following is called soon after:
mediaserver=# select min(id) from photo;
min
-------
(1 row)
I've since stopped the indexing service by running
sudo synoservicectl --stop synoindexd
Am I dealing with a defect here? Any advice on what I should do next would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tam

browncamry
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Media Indexing Loop

Unread post by browncamry » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 pm

I was able to resolve this with the help of @jhp's post (thank you), in the following thread:
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 33#p311752

So, for me, the steps to resolution are:

0) cd /var/spool/

1) sudo synoservicectl --stop synoindexd

2) sudo rm syno_indexing*
(delete all indexing files under /var/spool/)

3) sudo synoservicectl --start synoindexd

Cheers!
Tam

Return to “Photo Station”