Attention!: Click Repair, "System Partition Failed" - What happens next?

Questions pertaining to Power settings, Auto Block, Permissions, User Quotas and Email alerts may be posted here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
AZMedia
Rookie
Rookie

Attention!: Click Repair, "System Partition Failed" - What happens next?

Unread post by AZMedia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 pm

I have DS1812. Storage Manager under drive #8 shows "System Partition Failed". However, the drive shows to be "Healthy" but DSM wants me to fix the partition using a "Repair" link. So my research led to me re-seating the drive in it's bay, but the below "Attention" message came back. The unit is currently performing great. So I'm curious what happens if I click "REPAIR". Is there any chance of loosing data?

The logs below show there have been two issues with drive #8. Late in December the "Bad Sector Found" warning is what created the "Attention" message.
Can anyone elaborate on what's going on here?

These are logs for drive #8.

Notice there are no "Reconnect" issues in January.
I re-seated the drive in it's bay around December 28th.

Puzzle
Sharp
Sharp

Re: Attention!: Click Repair, "System Partition Failed" - What happens next?

Unread post by Puzzle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Hello AZMedia

I cannot guarantee you anything, but I encountered this also a couple of times.
I did not think long and always let the DiskStation repair the disk group.
So far I have not had any trouble with this.

My recommendation(I take no responsibility though) is that you repair the disk group if you do have current backups of all data and configuration.
Maybe start the repairing action on a Saturday morning or whenever as few users as possible are affected.
Just to be sure...

Greetings

AZMedia
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by AZMedia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks "Puzzle".
I just have no idea what "Repair" does....fix the entire 25Tb volume, if so, by doing what? Does it fix the the drive? Fix the bad sector that triggered the error? I wish DSM or the Syn website provided more info and what happens...and why.

So I guess on De. 23rd when trying to move data to the volume it ran into a "Bad Sector" on drive 8. From what I've read, software manages this - skips over the bad sector and remembers to never try and use that area again....simple enough. Seems weird to process the entire volume with some sort of "Repair" process.

gerrontic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gerrontic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm

AZMedia wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 pm
... what happens if I click "REPAIR". Is there any chance of loosing data? ...
... Can anyone elaborate on what's going on here?
Nothing happens on the 1-st click. Don't afraid :)

In my case on this ahtung:
Attention
System is healthy.Failed to access the system partition. Please repair it by clicking the following link.(Repair)
after click on "Repair" button, I got the next, following ahtung:
Failed to access the system partition. This failure could result from bad sectors or older system detected on the system partition. We suggest you repair the system partition, which
will not affect your data
However, for security reason, we strongly recommend that you back up the data before proceeding. If the repair fails, replace the hard disks with healthy ones instead.

When you remove hard disks, please note that at least one system disk [Disk 1, Disk 3] should be kept for the system to function normally.
(bold is mine)

However, what will happens on the hext click I don't know... and I'm afraid a little bit :(

telos
Distinguished
Distinguished

Unread post by telos » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Would you like me to click "repair" for you?

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am

The system partition only contains DSM. Click Repair. Then consider replacing the faulty drive under warranty.

gerrontic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by gerrontic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 pm

@telos

* Would you like me to click "repair" for you?

- Yeah. I readed manuals on two hours. Nothing understood. Then I turned power off, took out the most important disk from bay (3 remains), turned power on and click this button. Everything turned green in a shortest moment. Nothing of many-hours(days) tests, that killing disks that are are already close to death :)

Return to “System Management”