Time Machine Backups Not Working

Discuss backup and restore functions of the DiskStation with respect to computer clients, such as Synology Data Replicator, Time Machine, or other client backup software.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Big Tex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Time Machine Backups Not Working

Unread post by Big Tex » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Since upgrading to MacOS Sierra (10.12.2) I have been having a major issue with my Time Machine backups. I have read various posts online and updated to the DSM 6.1 beta to try to find a fix. No success so far.

I have both SMB (SMB 3) and AFP file services configured and can connect to the DiskStation using the Finder under both protocols. I have tried deleting and re-selecting the backup disk in time machine but always receive an error “Time Machine Couldn’t Back up to <TM_Share>”.

Has anyone had success in making TM work with DSM 6.1 under MacOS Sierra? If so, I'd appreciate some step by step feedback regarding what needs to be configured for TM to work successfully. I have initiated a ticket with Synology support however their suggestion (mount the TM share manually using AFP and then select the mount as the TM drive) didn't work.

anthsyno
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Time Machine Backups Not Working

Unread post by anthsyno » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 am

I can not offer direct help on the TM part. I have TM working with 10.11.6 and current Syno. Generally I would avoid Betas and new releases on any system: Mac, Syno, Windows, etc. It is always best to wait especially on major releases. Its why I am not on Sierra yet.

I would make a recommendation that you supplement your TM back ups with Syno Cloud Back up (Computer to NAS back up). You will need to install the Mac portion. It does a very good job. You do need to set the filters, by default if I am not mistaken more or less it will default to back up everything, even Apps and System components. For most User, Documents, Music, Movies, Desktop and downloads should be enough, and faster to back up.

You can never be too backed up. I use Crashplan, external disks, and TM and Cloud Back up on Synology. To explain TM has an Achilles heel even when its working (unless its used with direct attached storage, e.g. USB). TM uses a sparce bundle/Disk image for any network attached storage. If it gets corrupt and can't be repaired its toast.

Syno Cloud back up is a File level back up so its not subject to the all or nothing proposition with a disk image. The disk image is nice in that you can do a restore and its has all your settings and so forth. You can get full restore as well with CCC or Superduper to local disks via USB as well (both create bootable back ups).

Why some many kinds of back up. Everything has a pro and Con. My household is all Macbook Pros and IOS devices so most back up is going to happen wirelessly. NAS gives me local but wireless back up, Crashplan is off site. Would be painful and slow to restore from. Local disks are great but are only good as the most recent back up unless you restore from that and then copy the differences from another type of back up. TM is like a local back up in being a complete restore with settings and OS, but with a disk image back up but you have to have an operating system first as a first step. It great if it works/healthy. Cloud back up gives me a local real time file level back up of most important elements.

Now a days with Apple recovery partitions and being able to boot from the internet from Apple and feed the system your back up after or during with TM, or other backing up the operating system is not so important for most.

Good Luck.

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Big Tex wrote:Since upgrading to MacOS Sierra (10.12.2) I have been having a major issue with my Time Machine backups. I have read various posts online and updated to the DSM 6.1 beta to try to find a fix. No success so far.

I have both SMB (SMB 3) and AFP file services configured and can connect to the DiskStation using the Finder under both protocols. I have tried deleting and re-selecting the backup disk in time machine but always receive an error “Time Machine Couldn’t Back up to <TM_Share>”.

Has anyone had success in making TM work with DSM 6.1 under MacOS Sierra? If so, I'd appreciate some step by step feedback regarding what needs to be configured for TM to work successfully. I have initiated a ticket with Synology support however their suggestion (mount the TM share manually using AFP and then select the mount as the TM drive) didn't work.
There's a new setting in 6.1 to handle Time Machine. Go to Control Panel->File Services->Service Discovery. From there you can set any shared folder as a Time Machine folder over both AFP and SMB.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

misterwiggles
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by misterwiggles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:04 am

I have tried everything to get TM to work with the latest RC. It seems to work for a while, i.e. a week, but then it stopped working and gave me an error during a backup that the network and password were not working. I had created a specific time machine user and timemachine folder for backups. As expected, TM created a sparebundle for both my desktop and laptop since I used the same setup from different machines. Now I can't seem to get it to work at all. It just gives me the 'network address and./or password are not working' message. The whole thing where you have to turn on SMB TM Broadcast to even have your TM folder be seen is problematic as it causes all the other shared folders for my user account to become unavailable through the Finder. So once I have chosen the TM folder and I have to go back and turn off the SMB TB broadcast to restore proper Finder browsing of my Synology folders. But it seems like TM might not like that hence the problem mentioned above. Seems as though others are having similar problems.

Shame on me for updating to the RC. My experience in software is that by the RC most if not all serious functional issues have been resolved and the developers are just checking for final bugs that might have crept into the build somewhere. But NOT have Time Machine working cleanly with macOS Sierra is a MAJOR bug and renders my Synology LESS functional than on the previous DSM. Sierra of course has deprecated AFP moving forward and I was hoping that I could just use SMB for everything.

So Synology, please fix these TM issues BEFORE you release 6.1.

/m

misterwiggles
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by misterwiggles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am

syno.dustin wrote:
Big Tex wrote:Since upgrading to MacOS Sierra (10.12.2) I have been having a major issue with my Time Machine backups. I have read various posts online and updated to the DSM 6.1 beta to try to find a fix. No success so far.

There's a new setting in 6.1 to handle Time Machine. Go to Control Panel->File Services->Service Discovery. From there you can set any shared folder as a Time Machine folder over both AFP and SMB.
sync/dustin: Appreciate your referencing the new Service Discovery option for Time Machine users, but you must know that this doesn't work properly. Yes, you can use it to get TM going if you activate SMB Broadcast, BUT, and big BUT, you lose any access to your shared folders from your main mac account if that is different the the user set up on the Synology for TM access. I specifically set up a TM user to have quota controls so that I didn't fill up my Synology with TM backup data. So how do you make this work? If it DOES work just using your main mac account that you use to access shared folders, then you should have a specific option to limit the size of the storage devoted to TM backups. Any suggestions?

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:18 am

misterwiggles wrote:I have tried everything to get TM to work with the latest RC. It seems to work for a while, i.e. a week, but then it stopped working and gave me an error during a backup that the network and password were not working. I had created a specific time machine user and timemachine folder for backups. As expected, TM created a sparebundle for both my desktop and laptop since I used the same setup from different machines. Now I can't seem to get it to work at all. It just gives me the 'network address and./or password are not working' message. The whole thing where you have to turn on SMB TM Broadcast to even have your TM folder be seen is problematic as it causes all the other shared folders for my user account to become unavailable through the Finder. So once I have chosen the TM folder and I have to go back and turn off the SMB TB broadcast to restore proper Finder browsing of my Synology folders. But it seems like TM might not like that hence the problem mentioned above. Seems as though others are having similar problems.

Shame on me for updating to the RC. My experience in software is that by the RC most if not all serious functional issues have been resolved and the developers are just checking for final bugs that might have crept into the build somewhere. But NOT have Time Machine working cleanly with macOS Sierra is a MAJOR bug and renders my Synology LESS functional than on the previous DSM. Sierra of course has deprecated AFP moving forward and I was hoping that I could just use SMB for everything.

/m
This is a user forum so they won't see this. Do you have a ticket open with Synology? Also, a lot of this is from the Sierra side, so there's only so much they can do.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

misterwiggles
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by misterwiggles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:29 am

misterwiggles wrote:
syno.dustin wrote:

sync/dustin: Appreciate your referencing the new Service Discovery option for Time Machine users, but you must know that this doesn't work properly. Yes, you can use it to get TM going if you activate SMB Broadcast, BUT, and big BUT, you lose any access to your shared folders from your main mac account if that is different the the user set up on the Synology for TM access. I specifically set up a TM user to have quota controls so that I didn't fill up my Synology with TM backup data. So how do you make this work? If it DOES work just using your main mac account that you use to access shared folders, then you should have a specific option to limit the size of the storage devoted to TM backups. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: so I deleted my dedicated TM user in an attempt to just get it working with my main synology user account that I gave r/w access to the TM folder. That appears to let TM start it's backup, but again, as mentioned by others, I've lost access to the rest of my shared folders on my Synology. That's with leaving SMB Broadcast for TM on of course. Access to all my other folders returns if I turn SMB Broadcast off. But surely Synology doesn't expect normal people to not leave that on given it's specifically for TM backups.

misterwiggles
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by misterwiggles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 am

syno.dustin wrote:
misterwiggles wrote:I have tried everything to get TM to work with the latest RC. It seems to work for a while, i.e. a week, but then it stopped working and gave me an error during a backup that the network and password were not working. I had created a specific time machine user and timemachine folder for backups. As expected, TM created a sparebundle for both my desktop and laptop since I used the same setup from different machines. Now I can't seem to get it to work at all. It just gives me the 'network address and./or password are not working' message. The whole thing where you have to turn on SMB TM Broadcast to even have your TM folder be seen is problematic as it causes all the other shared folders for my user account to become unavailable through the Finder. So once I have chosen the TM folder and I have to go back and turn off the SMB TB broadcast to restore proper Finder browsing of my Synology folders. But it seems like TM might not like that hence the problem mentioned above. Seems as though others are having similar problems.

/m
This is a user forum so they won't see this. Do you have a ticket open with Synology? Also, a lot of this is from the Sierra side, so there's only so much they can do.

I can certainly file a ticket with Synology, as others have done. But Sierra has been in developer preview/beta since last June. I mean that is a LONG time for Synology to claim that this is some kind of recently occurring problem. Given that they specifically changed how TM works in 6.1 to allow it to work with SMB, they should have been resolving this problem well before now.

Big Tex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Big Tex » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:34 pm

I filed a ticket with Synology regarding this issue and their response was as shown below.

Currently compatibility is still being worked out, so please standby for the official DSM 6.1 release. It is expected to resolve all the issues for this.

Thank you,
Emil H.
Synology Support

They declined to provide any date regarding when the official 6.1 release may be available.

PaulS
Enlightened
Enlightened

Unread post by PaulS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Waiting with bated breath... :?

anthsyno
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by anthsyno » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:03 am

Thank you for Sharing support info..... Strongly recommend all supplement our Time machine back ups with Syno Cloud station Back up and other types of back up. Cloud Stations back up, is File level back up. Time machine on any network volume is all or nothing Sparse Bundle that can get corrupt, sometimes fatally. File level back ups do not have those issues.

And of course the more back up types and separate Physical media and Physical locations the better. You can have too many back ups.

Citan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Citan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello All,

I have MacOS full updated (no betas) and las version of SDM. My MacBook Pro have TM running but this is my problem:

After I turn on the MacBook TM works fine
- I have a TM user for quota

When I acces de NAS with Finder with a different user (not the TM user) it works fine but after this finder access TM stop working.

If I force a Finder restart TM start working again...

Any idea to fix this or I have to wait for DSM 6.1?

Thanks!

anthsyno
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by anthsyno » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 am

What version of Mac os all updated? 10.11.6, 10.12.3?

I have a feeling the issue is your Mac Key Chain and or connecting to the Synology via multiple users. You might want to go to the Utilities folder and clear down saved entries related to Synology.

Citan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Citan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm

anthsyno wrote:What version of Mac os all updated? 10.11.6, 10.12.3?

I have a feeling the issue is your Mac Key Chain and or connecting to the Synology via multiple users. You might want to go to the Utilities folder and clear down saved entries related to Synology.
I actual have 2 users, one for Time Machine and another for me when I use Finder. The first one is of the TM quota.

exlex
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by exlex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

I have a same problem that Time Machine Back up are not working anymore. Same problem with New MacBook Pro Touch ID and 12" MacBook. Both MacBook ended to make backups. I Own DS216+ii and previous model was DS216j.

Time Machine jams "preparing" field. After 10-20mins Time Machine says that can't create backup-file.

Please fix this problem fast!

Return to “Backup/Restore for computer clients”