DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by swrt64 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I give you an update of my situation:
My DS1815+ died on nov 20 af mentionned in my previous post.

The vendor (Materiel.net, french site) replied quickly and gave me a RMA, I returned the product without charge.
I waited 4 days to be informed that the system was not working, and I that will have a replacement.
And "the manufacturer is not able to repair, nor is able to provide a new DS1815+".
It tooks again one week, and Materiel.net said that I will receive a new DS1817+.
Now waiting for confirmation of shipment.

swrt64

kike_RR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Another dead 1815+ Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration back

Unread post by kike_RR » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi

I´m new in this forum, but this thread was very useful for me and i want to give some useful info for other users that wasn't mentioned here (i think).

The bad news

One more 1815+ bricked here, no lights, no power, no fans... nothing.

This monday, without any system update or any previous problem out 1815+ have died, it was purchased on July-2015, like most of dead ones in this post. It looks like to be obvious that some components installed on Summer 2015 were defective with terrible consequences for us.

1 - Dead NAS DSM was 5.4 (or 5.1 can´t remember), no updates for months due a conflict with a package, it was imposible to update it without risks so we leave it in this version. I give this info to clarify in my nas DSM update was not guilt.

2nd. Our NAS had 2 RAIDS and 3 individual HDDs

RAID A - SHR made of x3 6TB WD Red
RAID B - Raid 0 made of x2 6TB WD Red
x3 individual HDDs, x1 8Tb, x1 4Tb and x1 2Tb

How to migrate to a new NAS form a dead Synology

After the dead of my DS1815+ we were very concerned about our data integrity, specially the one hosted in SHR, due it´s a native Synology RAID. Of course migration process was critical for us.

1 - We purchased a brand new Synology DS1817+ (8gb) without waiting for Synology´s answer. In a corporate environment timings of Synology customer care are totally unacceptable (from 2 to 5 days in a company are thousand euros lost every day).

2º - We read the step by step guide provided by synology. It looks like to be clear, but we had the inconvenience of DSM 5.4 in dead NAS, all info talks about migrating between NAS with the same DSM. We where (very) worried about compatibility between DSM 5.X and 6.X

3º - We got our new 1817+ and try migration process (with crossed fingers)... and hopefully it was PERFECT!!!!!. I´ll try to give some missing info about this process.

a- When synology ask us to move HDDs from old NAS to the new one they are talking about moving ALL HDDs, even if you have different RAIDs, volumes or shared folders. Always move all disks.

b - Migration process is clean, quick and painless, just power up the new NAS with all HDDs connected in the same order as original NAS, followed procedure to connect to the new NAS, downloaded last DSM (as system asks), system rebooted and without any configuration backup new NAS kept up all the original configuration, including RSync, users, passwords, and most of the packages (compatible ones), VPN privileges... very soft and quick

In few minutes since replacement unit arrived (about 20m) we where online again, no pain, no problems, no data loss. We are now waiting Synology to send us a replacement for the 1815+ and will use it as a high availability backup to the 1817+... this point is not confirmed, but synology talk about "being under guarantee period" so we asume they will do their part and send us a replacement.

If synology send us the replacement we will keep confidence on Synology. A bad serie of units can happen, migration process is awesome and quick, so if customer service send a new unit we will be very happy and confident in synology for years (specially with a High availability cluster) ...

Hope this helps anyone. Thanks for all the support given in this forum

swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by swrt64 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 am

My last Update, usefull for french users I hope:

My DS1815+ died on nov 20 as mentionned in one previous post.

The vendor (Materiel.net, french site) replied quickly and gave me a RMA, I returned the product without charge.
I waited 4 days to be informed that the system was not working, and that I will have a replacement unit.
And that "the manufacturer is not able to repair, nor is able to provide a new DS1815+".
It tooks again one week, and Materiel.net said that I will receive a new DS1817+.
I received the replacement unit (DS1817+) the next day (december 5).
Starting with my disks (SHR Raid), migration OK.
I thank the materiel.net team for their comitment.

15 days from the failure to the new startup, I think that some users on this forum where less happy with the exchange process.
swrt64

coop777
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by coop777 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 pm

I will say it again to anyone else whom goes through this - unfortunately you have to be on top of getting the support request moving, aside from the failure of the unit itself - which isn't really Synology's fault, even if you get the advanced RMA option, be prepared to wait...

3DVigilante
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by 3DVigilante » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 am

Well, add mine to the list of dead DS1815+ units. Received nearly 30 email notifications that the Synology unit experienced power failure and was improperly shutdown. Went home to shut it down, but when I tried to power it back up....dead. D-E-A-D dead. Purchased in October 2015. Running six 3TB WD Red drives, light usage. Support ticket opened. Let's see how it goes from here...

Prez808
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Prez808 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 am

:evil: Add mine as another ds1815+ that died this morning. I saw a notification from a little over a week ago that the system had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. It is on a ups, so I am confident I do not have any power issues. In fact a ds1513+ sits on the same ups and did not have any errors. I was able to check the server tonight in person and it is completely dead. No lights whatsoever.

This issue seems pretty big! My 2 ds1513+s and 1812+ are all solid, so it is disappointing to see this happening.

HenryD
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by HenryD » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:36 pm

My DS415+ died a few days ago. I talked about this in another thread, but I see this thread is where the real conversation is happening. Last Wednesday, all the yellow disk lights were solid, the blue power light was flashing, and there was no status light. Long story short, nothing would revive it.

I contacted Synology support, and they promptly issued an RMA, and now I must pack up the unit and ship it back to Synology. Not wanting to wait for a new unit, I purchased a new DS918+ (after making sure it did NOT have the offending Intel Atom processor). Recovery was a snap -- I just put my disk in the new unit in the same order as the old unit, powered up the unit, Synology assistant found it and told me it was migratable. 10 minutes later, I was up and running again with my entire configuration intact. Sweet.

Now let's see how long it takes to get my refurbished DS415+ shipped to me.

phobra
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by phobra » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:23 am

Hi!
Just bought a new DS1815+ a couple of days ago. I suddenly got over this forum post about faulty DS1815+. Have checked my serial number, which starts with 1521, meaning produced february 2015 if I understand this serial decoding corretly. This means my 1815+ has the faulty CPU, am I right? Is there anything I can do about it now? Contact Synology? Or do I have to wait for my DS to crash before doing anything other than take backup of the whole thing?

Cheers!
Alex

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by polanat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am

phobra wrote:This means my 1815+ has the faulty CPU, am I right? Is there anything I can do about it now? Contact Synology? Or do I have to wait for my DS to crash before doing anything other than take backup of the whole thing?
There were plenty of advices here on this thread (and here on this one -> Intel C2000 Series Failures) - just read them carefully and make your choice ...
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

kike_RR
I'm New!
I'm New!

SYNOLOGY don't want to change Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having

Unread post by kike_RR » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am

Hi people, a quick update on our dead DS1815+

Synology said they will proceed with an RMA, but after a copuple of mails now they say our DS1815+ is out of guarantee (purchased at the end of July 2015... 3 months beyond 2 years) and, even there are hundreds of similar cases and is clear that Summer 2015 Synology servers where badly manufactured, they will not change our dead DS1815+

We are trying to make them reconsider it, probably not.

We will update how this case ends, but looks like that everyone with a dead 1518+ won't have a replacement.

Hope they reconsider this, if not the will lost a direct client and probably much more than one, we will tell people how Synology works with its customers

:evil:

polanat
Skilled
Skilled

Re: SYNOLOGY don't want to change Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having

Unread post by polanat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am

kike_RR wrote:Synology said they will proceed with an RMA, but after a copuple of mails now they say our DS1815+ is out of guarantee (purchased at the end of July 2015... 3 months beyond 2 years)
DS1815+ has 4-Years warranty in total (3-Years standard + 1-Year extended) - someone is trying to cheat you - be careful !!!

PS 3 Years standard -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... =DS1815%2B

1 Year extended -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/company/ ... tus_Update
DS415+ [5.2-5967 Update 3 + 4xST3000VN000] & DS112 [DSM 6.1.2-15132 + WD40EFRX+ Ext1 WDBEMM0010BBK-U3] / Transmission 2.84-10 / Transmission Remote GUI 5.0.1
Samsung SMART TV 3D FullHD UE40ES6307 / Samsung UE32H4000 + iconBIT Toucan Duo Plus mk2 / iconBIT NetTAB THOR ZX (NT-0907S)
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND +2TL-ANT2408CL + TL-SG1008D / UPS Powercom WOW-500U

prostar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by prostar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:59 pm

+1

Add me to the list of dead devices. Came home after being out for an hour or so and noticed that my DS1515+ was very quiet. Looking into the issue, I found out it was dead as a brick. No way to get anything out of it.
Is there really no advance replacement program available that anybody knows of?

kike_RR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: SYNOLOGY don't want to change Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having

Unread post by kike_RR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:20 am

polanat wrote:
kike_RR wrote:Synology said they will proceed with an RMA, but after a copuple of mails now they say our DS1815+ is out of guarantee (purchased at the end of July 2015... 3 months beyond 2 years)
DS1815+ has 4-Years warranty in total (3-Years standard + 1-Year extended) - someone is trying to cheat you - be careful !!!

PS 3 Years standard -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... =DS1815%2B

1 Year extended -> https://www.synology.com/en-us/company/ ... tus_Update
Thank you very much, i´ll talk with synology right now

kike_RR
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by kike_RR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 am

More interesting info, Synology accepts there was an Atom Issue and extends an additional year the guarantee for this models
DS415+, DS1515+ DS1815+, DS2415+, RS815(RP)+, and RS2416(RP)+.

https://www.synology.com/es-es/company/ ... tus_Update

honkmasta
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by honkmasta » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:50 pm

One more unit died ...

- DS1815+
- 2x3 WD RED drives
- purchased at Amazon.DE SEP2015

- DS was sending several messages "system improperly shutting down"
- after a few days the unit died completely

(+) synology: very quick reply from synology stating guarantee is 3+1
local seller (amazon) is synology partner and should process the RMA
(+) amazon: support called me back instantly after requesting in my amazon account
(-) amazon: support was not able to process my problem, support person talked several times to his supervisor
at the end I was asked to send a mail to amazon and to tell my story again --> I guess there is no RMA process defined
(-) amazon: I asked for a problem ticket or something similar to track: answer given to me does not exist

Update:
(-) amazon.DE denies to process the RMA although they are Synology partners
statement: amazon.DE does not process any RMA, only implied warranties (2 years in germany)
(+) RMA started with Synology ... I will see how long the process takes

I will update the story ...

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”