DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Topics pertaining to volume setup, boot/shutdown, initialization, DSM update, HDD migration.
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
Piniu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by Piniu » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm

My DS1515 + doesn't work.
I plugged the ATX power supply from the PC and the NAS turned on.
I bought a new original Synology power supply and NAS doesn't work :(

The voltage on the green and black cable in the original power supply is 5.03V and on the PC power supply voltage is 3.25V it may be a problem ??? Someone checked it ???

arthur1512
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS1815+ died (no lights) - how to move disks to another DS1815+ without having configuration backup

Unread post by arthur1512 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Piniu wrote:My DS1515 + doesn't work.
I plugged the ATX power supply from the PC and the NAS turned on.
I bought a new original Synology power supply and NAS doesn't work :(

The voltage on the green and black cable in the original power supply is 5.03V and on the PC power supply voltage is 3.25V it may be a problem ??? Someone checked it ???
Two days ago, exactly the same happened here. After 2 years, first power failure occurred. One month later, my 1815+ died. I ordered a new PSU at centralpoint. Synology reported, because the company where I bought my server, went bankrupt, I had to sent in the old psu first, and after investigation they sent me a new one. That we'll at least take 2 weeks.. the server is necessary for my business .. so much for reliability..

<Update>
I replaced the old psu with the new one, and guess what, nothing happens.. so I have to sent in the whole unit.. probably the motherboard or the clock issue.. curious what happens next, since I need it badly for my business. Maybe we can upgrade to a 1817+..

BZHGeek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BZHGeek » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:56 pm

My 1815 went off abruptly twice last night while I was not even using it. Restarting on its own after a few minutes.
I received 2 emails from it : "System booted up from an improper shutdown".

I opened a support ticket right away.
I just received an email from them (French speaking here if that counts), they consider my NAS to be dead and point me back to the retailer to get an RMA and then they'll send a new NAS to the retailer for me to have.

Yeah, sure, NAS bought on June '15 on Amazon, I don't feel like Amazon will do anything for me...
By the way, what is the standard warranty on these ? 3 years if I am not mistaken ?

What shall I do now ? I just can't afford buying a new NAS...
Any clue about somebody to get in touch at Synology for a French customer like me ?

Thanks !
DS1815+ / 6GB RAM / 256GB SSD cache + various TB HDDs
DS215+
DS414 Play
DS115J

coop777
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by coop777 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't know if France is different than the US with regards to manufacturer warranty support policies or whom purchased from, however I also purchased my DS1815+ in 2015 from Amazon. When I reached out this year for support when mine died, all they asked for was proof of purchase to validate warranty.

I did deal with Synology directly - not Amazon - for warranty support. The unit carries a 3 year warranty from date of purchase and Synology has been giving an additional year of warranty for impacted units upon replacement.

BZHGeek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by BZHGeek » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for your answer.
I guess I will know shortly how Synology deals with that over here. I won't even try to ask Amazon for sure.

I'll let you know how it goes but that is a real headache to deal with for sure.
DS1815+ / 6GB RAM / 256GB SSD cache + various TB HDDs
DS215+
DS414 Play
DS115J

Shadowblues
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Shadowblues » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Another one just died. 2.5 years old.

So from saturday on I will have a main 1817+ and a backup 1815+ as soon as it gets back from warranty ...

CRAP!

punkle
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by punkle » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Well, that was painless.
Short update on my dead DS1515+. After some time (more then a week) back'n'forth with reseller who simply *refused* to RMA the DS and only wanted to give me money back, i gave up and contacted Synology. After a few hours i got a response and ended up with sending the DS back to synology UK. Then weeks went by and my ticket apparently ran out. So a quick email to support again, a couple of hours later it was sorted and my support person "talked" with the RMA "department", and basically said my DS would be sendt in a day or so. A loooong week (and a cople of days) later i got the box in the mail today-
Unpacked it, let it sit in room temp for a few hours. Put my 5 data discs in, powered the DS up, open browser to find.synology.com, it was there! Got one option: Repair. Clicked it and ~12 minutes later my DS is back up, just as i left it before the other gone dead. Everything works, even the static IP is as it was.

Smoothest migration ever! :D

coop777
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by coop777 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Glad to hear - that indeed is the one saving grace of this situation...you should also have the 1 year warranty extension.

JJRode
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JJRode » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

You can add me to the list of failures for the DS1815+. I have checked the power supply and can short the power on pin on the connector to ground and have the system go to blue flashing lights. I'm guessing that I have a failed connector to the power button or a bad board.

I have requested an RMA from Synology UK, hopefully I will get some response Monday

S/N 1530********

The unit has been under light duty, 24/7 operation since bought on 14 Sept 2015.

I purchased through Amazon and they have been no help, but did offer to give me a full refund. If Synology take a while to RMA I may purchase a new DS1817+ and get the refund on the DS1815+. Someone please tell me that the newer units aren't plagued with the same issues and the previous generation.

swrt64
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by swrt64 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Same story: my 1815+ died, no light, no fan, no noise.

Running from 03/2016.
Two days before, I received a dozen of alarm burst about "System booted up from an improper shutdown".

I am in France.
Ticket opened on Synology web site, waiting for answer. And mail send to the vendor support (materiel.net).

Janardan7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Janardan7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Well add me to the long list of people with failed DS1815+ units.

I got mine from Amazon in US. Bought in 08/2015. Have 8 red WD drives in unit. Not heavy user but lots of photos stored on NAS
Sent several email's to Synology with only the auto response back thus far.

Read through all 26 pages of responses on this thread.

What a pain!! Anyone try to ask about upgrading to current DS1817+ unit? Is that an option? Will it be any better?

JJRode
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by JJRode » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

quick update...

Synology UK has contacted me with the following;

"I would recommend we proceed with an RMA, so that we can process and dispatch a replacement for you (once the faulty unit has been received).

Unfortunately, due to a recent warehouse relocation, this has resulted in an RMA processing backlog of 1 to 3 weeks so there will be some delay before a replacement is shipped.
"

I told them that there RMA turnaround time was unacceptable for commercial grade equipment but I didn't have a choice and would proceed with the RMA anyway. I also mentioned that I wasn't surprised that their relocated warehouse was swamped considering all the units affected by the Intel chip problem.

Hopefully they don't take 3 weeks to get my NAS back...

I will inquire about replacing the unit with a model that doesn't have an inherent design fault and see where it gets me, my guess is nowhere.

Janardan7
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Janardan7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Update:

Got e-mail reply for advanced RMA to get replacement unit shipped out. Would have to pay a lot for expedited shipping (took the free shipping, I can wait 5 days).

Tried to ask about upgrading to ds1817+ but no reply to that question.

For those that have gotten replacement units I a few questions:

1. How did you know this is new unit versus refurbished unit?
2. How do you know this has new Atom Intel chip built after 02/2017?
3. How did the switch process go if you follow there instructions? Any warning tips?

Thanks all

richyb
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by richyb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 am

I'm glad other people are having more success getting their DS1815+ RMAed then me. I found ours failed on the 27th of October and contacted Synology - got a response on the 30th where they bounced me back to the reseller - Amazon UK. Amazon could only offer a full refund of the item (which has gone up £200 since purchase) since they no longer had any stock. Synology's email did say "contact us again...e, the customer is possible to be charged all the fees that including two-way freight, duties, taxes and brokerage fee.".

I therefore emailed Synology on the 30th and they replied on the 31st for all the details (name, address etc which I had filled out in the first web form) and I replied straight away. I got the RMA number on the 2nd of November and had the drive dispatched to them under ParcelForce 24 hour and it was received on Friday the 3rd. 8th of November, I followed up asking how long it'll be and received on the 9th "After receiving the device, it'll take four weeks to examine and test a replacement.". On the 16th, I was "form emailed" "Your RMA item is received by Synology RMA team:".

So far, I'm really really unimpressed by Synology support - no mention of an "Advanced RMA" option, trying to fob me off with two way freight charges initially, poor/non-existent RMA tracking etc. For a business grade product, I would have expected less than a week turnaround for initial inquiry (my current "consumer grade gaming" PC, when brought, had a faulty graphics card which blew 2 power supplies - the manufacturer arranged for it to be picked up, repaired and back to me in 4 days: including a discount on a CPU upgrade).

The only "plus side" of this is the Amazon did, to their credit once I had asked 3 people if they could arrange a replacement or repair (even a refurbished unit) and said "since you brought new we can only provide new - and we don't have stock", did give me a 25% refund on the item (which covered the £50 postage and then some). I did feel a bit bad accepting it though as it wasn't Amazon's fault (Amazon didn't make the faulty product, they didn't decline to issue a recall when they knew about the issue and they also didn't discontinue the product).

I hope I get my Synology back and when it comes to the next time buying or recommending a NAS solution, I'm going to be hesitant to recommend Synology because of this.

Arif_Iqball
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Arif_Iqball » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm

Still waiting after three weeks. Synology Taiwan says work through a reseller but very hard to find a reseller willing to take a product bought in another country. One who was willing to work with me has not replied to my mails and calls for a week. The process should be easier for such well known problems. Am running out of patience now. Any advice is appreciated. Product was bought via B&H out of New York but I am in Japan now.

Return to “Installation, Configuration, Migration, Expansion”