Create admin user

Topics pertaining to SRM usage, usability and management
Forum rules
Synology Community is the new platform for the enthusiasts' interaction, and it will soon be available to replace the Forum.
biggreydog
Beginner
Beginner

Create admin user

Unread post by biggreydog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm

How do you create a user and give them admin privileges?

I want to deactivate the default admin user named admin and I know how to do that but it won't let you until you have another admin account.

Babylonia
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Create admin user

Unread post by Babylonia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Tried as a test, but seems not possible after the router is installed in first degree, and you didn't use a different name for admin within the base wizard already.

Make a back-up of all your settings.
Reset your router to factory settings. Making the steps within the set-up wizard, just overwrite the admin name, by another personal name, and go further within the steps in the wizard. Afterwards you have the personal name, as well the admin name as for users with admin rights.

Load your set-up back-up again for the rest of your settings, accept the personal settings. (You can make a choice for several options to overwrite or not).
RT1900ac / DS213j / DS415+ / DS218+ (at different locations).

sbrady373
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by sbrady373 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Same question actually. Not sure how I did it, but I did at one point add an additional admin. So, I see my created admin account that I use as well as the default admin account that I've disabled. I want to add another admin, but unfortunately I can't remember how I did it. Any help would be appreciated.

biggreydog
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by biggreydog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I spoke with Synology reps.

When you setup your Synology Router, the default and only admin account is ADMIN. If you do not change that name, then the only admin account is that one. If when you are setting it up, you change that initial name, that becomes the admin account and ADMIN stays but is deactivated. You can reactivate it if you want.

Bottom line you only get 1 or 2 admin accounts max depending on what you do when you setup the router.

sbrady373
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by sbrady373 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:18 am

Bummer was hoping for some level of admin group type access. Thanks for the info though!!

IvanDeSousa
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by IvanDeSousa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:43 am

This is actually a negative surprise. Synology routers have been marketed to Small Businesses and small branch offices, this is as basic as it gets in terms of security and accountability when you have several staff providing IT support.

Babylonia
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Babylonia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:49 pm

You can do a feature request to Synology support to implement it.
RT1900ac / DS213j / DS415+ / DS218+ (at different locations).

Return to “Installation and Configuration”