Windows 10 - NAS not showing in Network

All questions regarding using our system with Windows XP, Vista, 7 may go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
msspublic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Windows 10 - NAS not showing in Network

Postby msspublic » Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes I did that except for the master browser. I was unsure about the security of a guest account with no password when my box is not on the private setting but is public. Yes I am only using the ATT router.
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 am

Have you tried locating the NAS with Synology Assistant (available on the Synology Downloads page for your NAS) or by typing http://find.synology.com into your browser?

And did you have a static IP address configured for the NAS or were you using DHCP?

If you had a static IP address then follow the first part of the guide shown here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/tutorials/493

That will reset your admin password and set the network config. back to DHCP. You will need to setup a new password once you connect to the NAS.
Regards
Andy M

Synology DS1813+ 8x ST4000VN000 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Panasonic TH-L42ET60A Panasonic TH-55DX600U
msspublic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby msspublic » Fri May 13, 2016 1:45 am

Nas was assigned a static IP in router no DHCP and is a public setting all other machines are privet and from the pool. One of the issues is that the ATT modem is not in the modem list so nothing can be done to the modem unless manual. Why would I reset the password and go back to DHCP?. I need the static address for the Wordpress blog I host on the NAS. (Just a family thing no traffic).
Yes the assistant finds it and I can get there by typing the IP. When I im in a folder on the Nas it does show in the network of explorer. It's not a husge deal I just know something is not the way it should be.
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Fri May 13, 2016 2:01 am

I thought you stated that you could not connect to the NAS?

My advice was to help you connect to it, but I see that you are able to connect.

You did not say what version of Windows you were using, so it is hard to say what your issue is.

I trust you have set DSM to use SMB 3 as explained earlier?

I also trust you have renamed the NAS without any illegal characters or spaces?
Regards
Andy M

Synology DS1813+ 8x ST4000VN000 Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Panasonic TH-L42ET60A Panasonic TH-55DX600U
msspublic
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby msspublic » Fri May 13, 2016 2:07 am

Yes to all that. In my original post about 4 or 5 posts up I noted Win 10 up to the latest update.
Arjay-El
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Arjay-El » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:54 am

I just cam across this problem with my DS1815. Win64, fully updated, Synology updated, set for SMB3, Auto. Win File manager sees the Diskstation no problem. Freecommander, WinNC, Powerdesk9 no longer see the Diskstation as a network share, only as a media share. I have to map the individual folders which is not a solution. Was this resolved in some method I cannot find searching all the posts?

Thanks
Pepper14
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Pepper14 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 am

** Possible Solution **

I have the DS214Play and had the same issue, everything was fine...Cloud Station worked, accessing DSM was fine, I just couldn't map drives because the NAS didn't show up under "Network" in Windows Explorer. But finally sorted it so posting here in case it helps.

In DSM under File Services --> Win/Mac/NFS tab --> Windows File Service section there is a box which says "Enter the below address to access folders using a computer in your local network:"

In my case the "PC (Windows Explorer)" value is "\\DS214Play". I simply entered this into the address bar of WE and like magic the NAS appears under Network and all the folders are mappable.

Unfortuantely you have to do this each time you open WE but at least I can now get to my NAS folders.
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 am

Yes, in almost all cases the NAS is accessible via the UNC address, \\DiskStation etc. but the NAS is not visible under Network in File Explorer (Windows Explorer) at all.

This issue was resolved with Windows 10 update version 1511 (Build 10586.164) onwards.

If you have not done so already, you should update to the Windows 10 Anniversary release of 1607 (Build 14393.82)

And don't forget to reboot your modem/router and everything else on your network after any major update.

You should also update the NAS to DSM 6.0.2-8451 if you are able to.
Regards
Andy M

Pepper14
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Pepper14 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:45 pm

My DSM is up to date, as is Windows 10. Unfortunately the DS214 doesn't appear under "Network" in Win Explorer. The only way I can get to see the folders is by using the UNC address solution I posted earlier
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:54 pm

All I can tell you is that it is working fine for me and has been since 1511 (build 10586.164).

Although I did have an issue with an update on my Windows 7 machine that prevented me from seeing any SMB device under Network in File Explorer on any of my machines, even with the Windows 7 machine shut down. I thought it may have been another Windows 10 update had broken things again, but it wasn't.

I uninstalled all updates back to 14-july-2016 on the Windows 7 Pro 64Bit machine and then allowed Microsoft to update Windows 7 again and that fixed the issue for me.

Make sure your NAS is using the same Workgroup name as your Win10 PC/Laptop in DSM Control Panel->File Services Workgroup (default is WORKGROUP) and make sure you have Windows File Services turned on.

Also, click on the 'advanced settings' button and make sure you have 'enable SMB 3' and 'auto' selected.

I also have the Master browser turned on in DSM and the Master Browser disabled on all my PC's. You might try that also. You will need to leave your NAS on 24/7 though and it will not hibernate at all if you turn on the Master Browser.

To turn it off on your PC/Laptop, use search on the taskbar, type in 'services' and then click on 'Services - Desktop App'. Then search for 'Computer Browser' and then disable it or set it to manual startup.

In DSM Control Panel->Shared Folders make sure your shared folders have the 'Hide this shared folder in "My Network Places"' turned off.

In DSM Control Panel->Network make sure you set the name of the NAS correctly, no spaces or characters other than letters and numbers. Default is: DiskStation

I can't think of anything else offhand, but there are a lot of other suggestions in this and other threads that you might consider trying also.
Regards
Andy M

guybor
Novice
Novice

Postby guybor » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm

trumpy81 wrote:In DSM Control Panel->Network make sure you set the name of the NAS correctly, no spaces or characters other than letters and numbers. Default is: DiskStation

Are "-" allowed?

My systems are DS-1515 and DS-1513. On my Win10 Surface Book, the 1513 is showing in network places, but my 1515 is not. And I can not figure out what the difference is as I think I have them set up the same.

Thank you
trumpy81
Novice
Novice

Postby trumpy81 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:49 pm

I believe that you can use a dash - in the name but to be on the safe side, I would not use it until you can establish a connection to that NAS at least.

Check your shared folders and make sure none of them have 'hide this shared folder in 'My Network Places'', unless you actually want to hide them from Windows.

Also, it may help if you use DHCP reservation or static LAN IP addresses for both NAS.

And don't forget to reboot your router and then reboot all other devices, including the NAS, that are connected to your router, that includes wireless devices, whenever you make any configuration changes to your network.
Regards
Andy M

But_Thats_Ok
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby But_Thats_Ok » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:16 am

Perhaps my experience will help some of you who cannot see the Diskstations under network neighborhood with Windows 10.

I have an old 713+ and a new 716+ generally identical configurations, same workgroup, etc. both connected to the same LAN using single Ethernet connections. I was only able to see the 716+. I did a comparison on the configurations and I noted that on the 713+ the Network Interface for the LAN 2, although Disconnected, had a manual address on my LAN segment of 192.168.x.x whereas the 716+ had a DHCP null address of 169.x.x.x. So I switched the 713+ LAN 2 connection to a DHCP address and hit APPLY and waited for the null address to be returned. Once I refreshed the Network "Neighborhood", I could immediately see and access the 713+.

Since then, I have tested both the 716+ and the 713+ several time changing the Disconnected Network Interface to a manual IP address which makes it disappear from the network -- back to the DHCP address which makes it show up again. Cannot explain what effect this has but for me it resolved the problem. For reference, I am using an ASUS router with Tomato for my WINS server and have it acting as my Master Browse but I don't think this has any relation to the issue as ithe 713+ was missing before the implementation of the WINS Server on the router.
zdenes
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby zdenes » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:05 pm

I have a DS410j and a DS416play and the latter just didn't show up in Explorer as the 410j whatever I tried (spent a day on this) until I tried what 'But_Thats_OK' suggested. Having two fixed IP addresses messed things up. I have no idea why it is like that, but thanks for the solution!
net4u
I'm New!
I'm New!

NAS not available in Network

Postby net4u » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi,

I have troubles with NAS in Network in Windows 10 File Explorer. It does not show anymore from several months, but if I simply write the name of my NAS in File Explorer address bar, it show in left pane, I am able to see the shares, it does not show in right pane, and of course it vanish when I enter again File Explorer. I am not able to identify a reason, since there are several changes that I made in my network in same period (November) : I reinstalled my Windows 2012 Domain Controller (however, here is working normally), my work notebook (here is not working), another Windows 2012 server (also not showing), and also I installed DSM 6.1-14871 early in November.
Any hints please?

Return to “Windows OS”