Here is the reason why HDDs wake up from hibernation often

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
c0d3r
Trainee
Trainee

Here is the reason why HDDs wake up from hibernation often

Postby c0d3r » Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 am

HI, All

Notice: its only occured if the DiskStation's network interface is set to 'get network interface automatically (DHCP)'.

Just review the packets captured by the router, and found that Synology keeping request DHCP renewal every 1 hour from the router, its actually sending DHCPREQUEST command to the router, when the router response the IP address, the funny part comes, the HDD wakes up from Hibernation, it doesn't make sense, but why would it waks up the HDDs?

Thats because Synology lease file was stored on /etc, which is a HDD. So of course, when the lease is renewed, even the IP is the same, the HDD needs to spin up to write to the file.

So Synology Develop Team should fix the issue by moving the temporary dhcpv[4/6].lease.eth? lease file to /tmp when Diskstation "hibernation" is enabled, and it won't wake up HDDs from hibernation.

Hopfully they can fix it, This is just stupid.
Last edited by c0d3r on Wed May 20, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Here is the reason HDDs wake up when request IP renewal

Postby jetkins » Wed May 20, 2015 3:13 am

Good catch. In the meantime, you could just increase the lease period on your DHCP server - unless you have far more DHCP clients than you have available addresses, there's really no reason to use a lease period of less than 24 hours.
DS1815+ / DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 / Kingston KVR16LS11/4 RAM module (6GB total)
6x 3TB WD Red SHR2 (Primary Volume), 2x 1.5TB Seagate SHR (CrashPlan local backups)
RAID IS NOT BACKUP http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup
doctorstrobe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby doctorstrobe » Wed May 20, 2015 3:34 am

That's it!
I set my DS213j LAN settings to manual config.
I should be able to reserve the IP address in the router.

It hibernates and wakes just the way it should now.
Before it would NEVER hibernate.

Thanks!
c0d3r
Trainee
Trainee

Postby c0d3r » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 am

jetkins wrote:Good catch. In the meantime, you could just increase the lease period on your DHCP server - unless you have far more DHCP clients than you have available addresses, there's really no reason to use a lease period of less than 24 hours.

This brings another Synology issue: Synology is requesting renewal halfway through the lease. Which means, if your router lease time is every 2 hours (7200 seconds), Synology would request renewal every 1 hour. This is exactly what happened to me, my router's lease time is 2 hours (7200 seconds) by default, but its sending DHCPREQUEST to the router every 1 hour.
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby jetkins » Wed May 20, 2015 4:40 am

c0d3r wrote:This brings another Synology issue: Synology is requesting renewal halfway through the lease. Which means, if your router lease time is every 2 hours (7200 seconds), Synology would request renewal every 1 hour. This is exactly what happened to me, my router's lease time is 2 hours (7200 seconds) by default, but its sending DHCPREQUEST to the router every 1 hour.

That is not a Synology issue, it's the DHCP client doing exactly what it's told to do, per section 4.4.5 of the RFC. The DHCP server tells the client not only how long the lease is valid, but also when it should start attempting to renew. The default is half-way through the lease period, and I've never come across a DHCP server that does otherwise.
DS1815+ / DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 / Kingston KVR16LS11/4 RAM module (6GB total)
6x 3TB WD Red SHR2 (Primary Volume), 2x 1.5TB Seagate SHR (CrashPlan local backups)
RAID IS NOT BACKUP http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup
c0d3r
Trainee
Trainee

Postby c0d3r » Wed May 20, 2015 4:42 am

jetkins wrote:
c0d3r wrote:This brings another Synology issue: Synology is requesting renewal halfway through the lease. Which means, if your router lease time is every 2 hours (7200 seconds), Synology would request renewal every 1 hour. This is exactly what happened to me, my router's lease time is 2 hours (7200 seconds) by default, but its sending DHCPREQUEST to the router every 1 hour.

That is not a Synology issue, it's the DHCP client doing exactly what it's told to do, per section 4.4.5 of the RFC. The DHCP server tells the client not only how long the lease is valid, but also when it should start attempting to renew. The default is half-way through the lease period, and I've never come across a DHCP server that does otherwise.

Thanks for the info.
doctorstrobe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Here is the reason why HDDs wake up from hibernation oft

Postby doctorstrobe » Wed May 20, 2015 5:00 am

The router I'm on has dd-wrt installed.
Someone had the Client Lease time set to zero minutes, which is definitely NOT infinite lease...
It was more like 0.99 minutes. So my Diskstation was probably trying to renew constantly so it never hibernated...

I set it to 2 days. It actually fixed a problem with my iPhone problems with Wi-fi.

I set up a static IP for the Diskstation though, so it will never need to renew lease.
huubhuub
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby huubhuub » Fri May 22, 2015 12:33 pm

doctorstrobe wrote:That's it!
I set my DS213j LAN settings to manual config.
I should be able to reserve the IP address in the router.

It hibernates and wakes just the way it should now.
Before it would NEVER hibernate.

Thanks!

This didnt fix my DS414 HDD-hibernation.
It still is not working after trying this (my HDD's never go to sleep mode, the status led are always on)
doctorstrobe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Here is the reason why HDDs wake up from hibernation oft

Postby doctorstrobe » Mon May 25, 2015 7:24 am

It's fixed again.
Had to re-install DSM.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... 3?q_id=493
It doesn't wipe out any user data...
It wasn't hibernating for long though so I went back to a static IP address and turned off IPv6 as someone else suggested. Now it stays asleep till I access it.

Return to “Hibernation Room”