Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Discussion room for the Cloud Station clients for PC/Mac/Linux computers, designed to sync files between your different work-stations and your DiskStation
Forum rules
This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Mac finder extremely slow when running Cloud Station

Postby heddal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 pm

There is a new Cloud Station for Mac here: http://download.synology.com/download/T ... udStation/
I have tried it and it seems to work.
heddal
Trainee
Trainee

Postby heddal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Sorry to say that my last post suggested http://download.synology.com/download/T ... udStation/. IT DID NOT WORK. After 3101 install 3005 was automatically installed and the known problem returned.
jorge_rui
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jorge_rui » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Nice, it worked. Great catch !

philbert1 wrote:Hi Gang -

1. Locate "Synology Cloud Station" in the Applications folder
2. Right-click the icon and do a "Show Package Contents"
3. Dig down to the folder "Contents/MacOS/iconoverlay"
4. Rename the file "runSynoSIMBLAgent" to "_runSynoSIMBLAgent" (you might be asked for your password -- I can't remember)
5. Reboot

philbert
Raca
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Raca » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:03 am

Version 3103 included with DSM 5.0 seems to have fixed the freeze.
Dowgold
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Dowgold » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Raca wrote:Version 3103 included with DSM 5.0 seems to have fixed the freeze.

I second that, it seem to have fix the problem AS WELL AS the constant disk access. FINALLY.....
pdalfarr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pdalfarr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm

1, 2, 3 ... same for me :-)

Fixed
nj13451
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nj13451 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Ok so I'm having the exact same problems as everyone else as highlighted below:

It does keep a network connection alive even when not syncing. You can see that in activity monitor, under the network tab. It's not a high usage, but very consistent.

YES

Also, anyone also hearing noise coming from the HDD while cloud station is on? It does stop once paused. I do hear this "clicking" type noise on all of our systems when cloud station is on, so I doubt that I would be the only one

YES!!! These people understand me!

The only problem is that I'm not running cloud station. I had it setup at one point, but completely removed it, and since have upgraded both the diskstation(to 5.0) and completely wiped and re-installed OSX (problem persists on both 10.8 and 10.9).

Is there anything else that could be causing these same issues? Could there be some kind of deep cloudstation files leftover somewhere trying to do something? I was thinking of maybe re-installing cloud station, just to be able to perform the "hack" described above.

I've been researching for months The only other thing I've found online that comes close to my problem is this thread on apple.com: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3753011

Also just wanted to know if anyone else that is experiencing this...when you do a hard reset, does the computer sometimes take 10-15 minutes to boot up(with the clicking sound constantly going)?
pdalfarr
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby pdalfarr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

@nj13451 : I don't have this problem, sorry.
jinyu500
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jinyu500 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:29 pm

this problem seems solved after I upgraded to DSM 5.0
reinko
Rookie
Rookie

Postby reinko » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:16 pm

We had this problem on three macs running Mavericks and Mac OS 10.8. We tried all kinds of suggestions like not running dropbox, disabling appnap, etc.
It seems to have disappeared with the install of Cloud Station 3.0-3103. We have not updated DSM to 5.0 yet. So we're happy. Our workflow is much smoother now.
Nicolas Soriano
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Nicolas Soriano » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Sorry Pals,
Here the problem appeared after upgrading to DSM 5 and CS 3.0-3103. Can be related to Maverick 10.9.2...

I would never had imagined that this finder nightmare could be solved by stopping Cloud Station if I hadn't found it on the web...
RobSails
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby RobSails » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Finder freezing problem exists on both 10.8.5 and Mavericks.

In addition, if more than one computer is trying to sync to the cloudstation NAS, the sync'ing NEVER ends. It just goes round and round and round, updating the same files over and over... you get the point.

Looks like ownCloud will be getting our business for the forseeable future if Synology keeps their head stuck in the sand.

-R
david_r_laing
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby david_r_laing » Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am

I am running OS 10.8.5 and DSM 5. It is really bad. My finder window can't even pop up. When I force quit, there are two instances of Finder. I click on each one to restart them, then eventually a finder window will pop up. It happens every minute or so .. this is awful.

The only workaround is what Philbert published ..

4. Rename the file "runSynoSIMBLAgent" to "_runSynoSIMBLAgent" (you might be asked for your password -- I can't remember)
5. Reboot

Thank you for that .. no need for password.

At least I can have it running .. I was about to uninstall it cos it was so bad.

I do hope that Synology will fix this … it's a really bad problem to have. Love all the other stuff about the Synology Diskstations. Only my Plexserver can't work .. not sure what is going on with that .. other than that .. perfect!
TRC
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby TRC » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:56 pm

philbert1 wrote:
5. Reboot

So I was having this exact problem with Synology Cloud Station Version 3.2-3482 running on Yosemite 10.10.3 with DSM5.2 on my cloudstation, especially when it was syncing/updating to my cloudstation over the internet. Huge lag, finder crashing and so on. Large files, or even small (Kb in size) text files were causing the problem. Even more annoying was that when working with software that autosaves every 10 mins or so, it was causing a 10-15 second freeze on my machine.

As others have posted, quit or pause syncing of cloudstation client, no problems. Launch it again, problems start.

Fresh install of cloudstation client had not worked and "show icon overlay for file status" and "show icons for unsynced files" were switched off in Global Settings in the app without any effect.

The above suggested by philbert1 appears to be working (so far) with a few tweaks shown below

The files he mentioned were in Synology Cloud Station/Contents/Resources/icon-overlay/
I prepended both with _
_SynologySIMBL.osax (password required)
_synosimbl.config (password required)

For good measure, I also navigated to ~Library/Application Support/Synology/SIMBL/ and prepended the following
_SynologyCloudStation.config (password required)
_SynologyCloudStation (password required)

Rebooted the machine and no problems so far at all. No lag when syncing/updating, no more Finder crashes or hanging

I'll post an update if I run into issues
arglborps
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby arglborps » Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 am

Yeah, they're still using SIMBL. In this time and age. Even the developers of this crude hack have abandoned SIMBL a long time ago… Very sad.

Return to “Cloud Station Drive”