Time Machine and PC's

Reference only! Archived older discussions about backup and restore of the DiskStation to any client.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Simpleuser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Time Machine and PC's

Unread post by Simpleuser » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 pm

I once read that applying Time Machine to an external harddrive would format the disc.

Now if I activate Time Machine on my Synology207+, will I then loose all my music, video's etc. already placed on the NAS. And would I still be able to get access to the NAS via PC (or only Mac)?

cheers
Morten

Seed
Versed
Versed

Re: Time Machine and PC's

Unread post by Seed » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 am

If the usb drive is already ext3 then I don't think it will be reformatted. That is usually done when you add a USB drive directly to the mac. The videos and all that stuff is on the main internal drives so yes your PC will still have access to the main NAS drives as well as your mac if you want.

If you want to use the NAS drives for TM backups just create a shared folder, enable TM and that folder can be used for backups.
DS412+ 5.0-4458 | 4x3TB Seagate
CloudStation | CrashPlan | Time Machine | Surveillance Station

Simpleuser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Simpleuser » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Okaay.

It is most the latter comment I am interested in. Just to be absolutely sure (no need to take chances ;)), enabling TM on my NAS will erase anything else on the NAS?

Seed
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Seed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:16 pm

no it will not erase anything.
DS412+ 5.0-4458 | 4x3TB Seagate
CloudStation | CrashPlan | Time Machine | Surveillance Station

Return to “Backup/Restore (Archived)”