Another Hibernation Problem?

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Another Hibernation Problem?

Postby Der Peter » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:57 pm

With the v2.0.3 - 0462 everything worked perfect. Now the HD goes to sleep, just after that it will spin up again, as long as any machine on the network is active.

IMHO it should wether go to sleep or not. But not spinning down just to spin up again.

Anyone experiencing the same behaviour?
Product Model: DS-101j
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 - 0518
Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K400
grantzau
Novice
Novice

Postby grantzau » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 pm

I get this too...

Renders my DS106e un-usable right now :cry:
Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:27 pm

Please be sure to report your findings to our online support team;
Also, please identify which service is causing your system to spin back up; to do this, shut down all services on the Synology product (web, photo, multimedia, ftp, etc)

And then activate one service at a time with hibernation set to 10 minutes, if it hibernates, then turn off that service, and enable the next service you wish to use. Repeat until you identify which service is keeping your system waking up. After identifying which service is keeping your system awake, then appropreiate actions can be taken.

Note; make sure that no other network device, (computers/UPnP) are attempting to access the server every X amount of minutes....
**Franklin is not available**
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel ~ Synology eNews
Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Der Peter » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:24 am

It seems to be the new web based file station service. Deactiviating that, brings back the old situation.

Maybe grantzau can confirm this.

btw: How do i report my findings to your online support team?

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:40 pm

Click on support form in my signature links

**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**

Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images

Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Der Peter » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Back to start. This did not do the trick or only for a short while. rrgh

I keep you postet.

Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Der Peter » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:19 pm

New findings. Even if ALL services are switched off, the box runs up from hibernation mode every approx. 30 mind without beeing called. Nothing in the complete network configuration has been changed, only the Synology box was updated. Not even the smallest configuration changes on any machine.

I think I have to donwngrade, this is annoying.

Franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Franklin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 am

@Der Peter

With your system exactly as it is, disconnect the Ethernet cord. If it goes to sleep, and then wakes up after hibernating, then please contact online support (sig link) so we can determine what is causing your system to wake up. Downgrading may not solve your dilemma, as our system could be performing another task...

@all
Please contact online support if you have questions on hibernation

Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Der Peter » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:00 pm

If I unplug the Ethernet cord, as you guessed it, it works ok. But the moment i have the unit back to the network again the story continues. Checkin out everything i did not find any change or update in software or hardware. Only the new firmware of DS-101j.

So this behaviour comes, IHMO, solely from the new firmware.

My solution is to set the hibermation time to 1 hour, so the drive will not spin down and up continuosly. It just stays up until all workstatios are shut down. Thats not ideal but better than the down-up thing.

Still thinking about downgrading.

bouncemeister
Experienced
Experienced

Postby bouncemeister » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Same here. If i set the hibernation to 30 minutes, the drive will spin up almost immediately afther it went into hibernation. (DS-207/128Mb, latest firmware)

My guess is that windows (XP and Vista) checks something every 30 minutes on the network.

Setting the hibernation to 1 hour solves the problem. This way the drives won't spin down when a pc is active. The downside is that the drives will keep spinning for a full hour when i go to sleep.

Because of this behaviour, i'd like to see a 45 minute hibernation timer, or better, a custom timer so users can set their own time to hibernate. This shouldn't be too much trouble to implement. :idea:
succus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby succus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:53 pm

I basically have the same issue on my DS207 with 518.

viewtopic.php?t=5562

Synology support suggested it was the MacOS update to Leopard/10.5.x. I've troubleshot from both sides with no improvement. The only thing that allows the DiskStation to sleep is physical disconnection from the LAN which kind of makes the box useless.

Now that there are some cross platform reports I think Synology should look towards the 518 update as the culprit.
DS207/ST3500630NS/RAID 1/firmware 728
MacOS 10.5.5
stephan
Trainee
Trainee

Postby stephan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:24 pm

The problem existed already in previous versions of the firmware. As a workaround you can put the CS/DS in a different workgroup than all your other computers (at least on Windows; don't know about Mac). After some time (several hours) this suddenly solves the hibernation problem.
I have a support ticket open for this problem. However, they are having a hard time locating the problem. From the debug information I've sent them so far they could not identify what the problem is.
Regards,
Stephan
mischaq
Versed
Versed

confirmation

Postby mischaq » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:29 pm

yep - i think i can confirm this problem: every 30 min. the DS 101j gets waken up by some win-request. it seems to have something to to with the upgrade. it also seems that the work-arounf with changing the workgroup helps.

cheers,m

...but for the rest, the FW 518/ssh patch is just sooooooooooooooo great!!!
Der Peter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Der Peter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 pm

The different workgroup thing has done the job. Great!

Franklin, i would suggest making it a troubleshooting thing, sticky, whatsoever for the users to find.

succus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby succus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:44 am

is there a similar process in the MacOS network environment? How would I put the drive on a different workgroup?
DS207/ST3500630NS/RAID 1/firmware 728
MacOS 10.5.5

Return to “Hibernation Room”