Another Hibernation Problem?

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
biggo
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Another Hibernation Problem?

Unread post by biggo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I've tried changing Workgroup and setting master=no - but it didn't help.

I read in some forum that Hibernation was working better with the new firmware 598. Maybe I should give it a shot...

stephan
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stephan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Unfortunately the new firmware did not improve the situation either. Only using a different workgroup helped.
Regards,
Stephan

mischaq
Versed
Versed

Unread post by mischaq » Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

DUMMY-workgroup:

Do I understand right, that some of you guys have no more spin-ups even when machines on the lan are active, when using a Dummy-workgroup? not even spinups when a win-machine on the lan is booting? ...no spinups even though you have syno-share mapped on win-machines as networkdrives?

I also use the workgroup "dummy" for some time and it has in deed helped somewhat against spinups, but there are still some spinups particularly always when a win-machine is booting in the lan. of course the win-lan-machine are in another workgroup than "dummy". my lan-machines have mapped some syno-shares as network drives.

can someone immagine what i coult try to avoid this.

cheers, mischaq

mischaq
Versed
Versed

DHCP-setup?

Unread post by mischaq » Fri May 02, 2008 3:33 pm

btw: what is your opinion about spinups caused by ip-address renewals at the end of leasetime in a DHCP-setup?

stephan
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by stephan » Fri May 02, 2008 5:35 pm

You are right. When a computer is booting up the DS is still coming out of hibernation. However, I suppose this is probably a Windows feature as all the network shares are validated at start up.
For me it is much more important that the DS properly hibernates during the night even when I do not turn off all computers. And this is working if you put it into a different workgroup.
Regards,
Stephan

biggo
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by biggo » Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 am

I've done a reinstall of Vista - and now it seems that all the "wake up" issues are gone. :o

When I resumed from standby on my old installation the Diskstation always did a spin up. It doesn't do that anymore.
When I've used it - it does hibernate after 10mins. and doesn't wake up again... I will of course test that part further!

Please note, that I do not have any mapped drives on to my diskstation. I just use a Internet shortcut to the IP of my diskstation. The diskstation has a dummy workgroup and I've applied the "master = no". Can't say if the last setting did anything though, as I haven't tested it without it.

I will try to map a drive and see what happens next.

Return to “Hibernation Room”