Hibernation by drive?

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
FTP
I'm New!
I'm New!

Hibernation by drive?

Unread post by FTP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to build a silent NAS based on a DS918+.
For that, I plan to use a 2To SSD drive as main drive; which would make (except the fans that can run at the lowest speed with only a SSD to cool down) indeed a silent NAS.

But of course I need to backup my data.
So for that I plan to add a 2To HDD for the sole purpose of backuping the SSD data once a day only; let's say around 12pm when it's lunch time and the HDD noise is not an issue.

However, to make sure the NAS is silent the rest of the day, I need to make sure the unused HDD is in hibernation mode.

So question: with DSM 6.1, is it possible to have 1 drive working (the SSD in this case), while other -unused- drives are in hibernation mode?

Thanks for your help! :)
Last edited by FTP on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Hibernation by drive?

Unread post by HarryPotter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 pm

FTP wrote:His it possible to have 1 drive working (the SSD in this case), while other -unused- drives are in hibernation mode?
No.

And you wont see any advantages on using an SSD. Waste of money.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

FTP
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by FTP » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am

HarryPotter wrote:
FTP wrote:Is it possible to have 1 drive working (the SSD in this case), while other -unused- drives are in hibernation mode?
No.
Can you elaborate a bit more?
Does it means it's either all drives going to hibernation or none?

And in this case, why? What's the technical reason?
It's a waste of energy and lifetime for those unused drives.
SSD or not, you can have one drive working for hours and days and all the others not, used only for storage or backup once in a while.
Does it means all the others in the NAS will have to run for hours, 24/7 maybe, even unused for days?

drabisan
Guru
Guru

Unread post by drabisan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm

What's the exact reason for this behavior it's hard to tell. Part is inherited from Linux restrictions - see systemctl suspend/hibernate, part is Synology is not necessarily customizing their OS for this. Most users will have a single volume spread over all disks and it makes no sense to design an hibernation per disk.
Granted, for configuration with several volumes it makes sense to have hibernation per volume. But, again, I suspect that's not something supported in Linux and it would require major refactoring and it would be far from trivial.
You can open a feature request to Synology.

Note - if you put that 2T drive into an USB enclosure, that is subject of a different type of hibernation and that disk will indeed fall asleep when not used.

FTP
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by FTP » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 pm

drabisan wrote:What's the exact reason for this behavior it's hard to tell.
I've -maybe- found the main reason...
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 25#p264625
HarryPotter wrote:There si no "disk with the DSM on it". ALL disks contain the DSM (system partition is a RAID1 over all disks)
If the DSM is indeed duplicated on all disks and if any tiny parameter or log modifications is instantly duplicated in RAID 1 across all those disks, indeed there's clearly no chance any unused disk can rest as long as the NAS is still working :roll:

But all this is just a pitty. As explained by all users in this topic...
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 83&t=63517
...many users have configurations where some disks are not working for hours and days while others are working. But the way DSM is implemented forces all disks to work 24/7, wasting energy and their lifetime for nearly nothing. Just maintain a duplication that's just excessive in some cases or could be done with an acceptable delay when it's not critical. At least users should have the choice :(

Am I correct HarryPotter?
Is it still currently, 4 years after this old topic, the main reason why hibernation cannot be managed by disk in DSM 6.1?
Any chance a future DSM could take into account this feature request?
drabisan wrote:Note - if you put that 2T drive into an USB enclosure, that is subject of a different type of hibernation and that disk will indeed fall asleep when not used.
Thanks. It indeed looks like the only option but it's sad to have to go through an external enclosure while I just purchased a brand new DS918+ with 4 disk slots. I would have taken a smaller one if it's to put some disks outside :(

mervincm
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by mervincm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm

The most irritating noise is usually exiting hibernation. You might find that with the right disk you wont hear it at all and disabling hibernation is the best option. make sure that no indexing or scheduled tasks line up with your daytime use. Do a search for noise here, and you will find advice on suppressing disk noise. A little velcro on the drive bay can work wonders.

PS hibernation in USB cannot be assumed. many cases do not support it. be careful before you invest in that.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

FTP wrote:Does it means it's either all drives going to hibernation or none?
Exactly.

I guess the reason is because the system partition is a RAID1 over all disks.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

tijl
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by tijl » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm

HarryPotter wrote: I guess the reason is because the system partition is a RAID1 over all disks.
I placed 2 new disks in slot 3 and 4 which were empty before. These disks appear as "Not initialized".
Is the system partition already installed/copied on these disks? Or will it as soon as I create a volume or iSCSI LUN on them?

I'm advocating for the option to exclude diskgroups from this in this topic as in my case these are intended to store automated backups on every week and don't need to spin the whole time for nothing while the other diskgroup is in use.

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 pm

tijl wrote:Is the system partition already installed/copied on these disks?
No, not yet. The partitioning will happen as soon as you assign the disk to a volume/iscsi lun.

DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

Return to “Hibernation Room”