syncrond waking up NAS on DSM6?

All questions regarding system hibernation may be placed here. Thanks!
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JeanMars
Novice
Novice

syncrond waking up NAS on DSM6?

Postby JeanMars » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi,
it seems that there is a new daemon on DSM6 (at least it does not show on another NAS running DSM5) named syncrond. This one uses a synocrond.config file at /usr/syno/etc; such a file looks like (after some human CR/LF formatting):

Code: Select all

{"jobs":
{"builtin-dyn-autopkgupgrade-default":
  {"cmd_list":["/tmp/synocrond/builtin-dyn-autopkgupgrade-default","chkupgradepkg"],
   "cmd_str":"/usr/syno/bin/synopkg chkupgradepkg",
   "config":{"assure_execute":168,
   "cmd":"/usr/syno/bin/synopkg chkupgradepkg",
   "crontab":"~ ~ * * 1,4",
   "expire":24,
   "expire_action":"skip",
   "name":"builtin-dyn-autopkgupgrade-default",
   "period":"crontab","user":"root"},
   "expireTime":0,
   "lastExecution":1461225159,
   "schedule":{"Minute":[2],"day":[-1],"hour":[8],"month":[-1],"week":[1,4]}
   },
  "builtin-syno-letsencrypt-syno-letsencrypt: autorenew":
   {"cmd_list":["/tmp/synocrond/builtin-syno-letsencrypt-syno-letsencrypt: autorenew","renew-all"],
   "cmd_str":"/usr/syno/sbin/syno-letsencrypt renew-all",
"config":{"assure_execute":0,
"cmd":"/usr/syno/sbin/syno-letsencrypt renew-all",
 "expire":3,
"name":"builtin-syno-letsencrypt-syno-letsencrypt: autorenew",
"period":"weekly","user":"root"},
   "lastExecution":1461138752,
   "schedule":{"Minute":[38],"day":[-1],"hour":[16],"month":[-1],"week":[3]}
   },
  "builtin-synodatacollect-synodatacollect":
   {"cmd_list":["/tmp/synocrond/builtin-synodatacollect-synodatacollect"],
    "cmd_str":"/usr/syno/bin/synodatacollect",
    "cmd":"/usr/syno/bin/synodatacollect",
    "crontab":"~ ~ * * 0~6",
    "expire":72,
    "name":"builtin-synodatacollect-synodatacollect",
    "lastExecution":1460830415,
    "schedule":{"Minute":[27],"day":[-1],"hour":[11],"month":[-1],"week":[0]}
    },
   "builtin-synosharesnapshot-default":
 {"cmd_list":["/tmp/synocrond/builtin-synosharesnapshot-default","misc","subvol-clean"],
  "cmd_str":"/usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean",
  "cmd":"/usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean",
  "expire":3,
"name":"builtin-synosharesnapshot-default",
"period":"daily","user":"root"},
  "lastExecution":1461292851,
     "schedule":{"Minute":[42],"day":[-1],"hour":[4],"month":[-1],"week":[-1]}
},
    "builtin-synosharing-default":
     {"cmd_list":["/tmp/synocrond/builtin-synosharing-default"],
     "cmd_str":"/usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron",
     "cmd":"/usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron",
     "crontab":"~ 0~7 * * *",
     "expire":24,
     "name":"builtin-synosharing-default",
     "lastExecution":1461290391,
     "schedule":{"Minute":[41],"day":[-1],"hour":["],"month":[-1],"week":[-1]}
   }
  }
}

So it seems that there is another crond like daemon that runs in the background to perform some administrative tasks. Problem is that there is no other way to control the timing of these tasks (I did not find a match with what is accessible through the GUI) than editing this file, assuming I understand every meaning about all fields. Of course, /etc/crontab shows nothing like that.
Does someone have some knowledge about this synocrond and its configuration. I believe this is what wakes up my NAS regularly.

Thanks,
Jean
Last edited by JeanMars on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanMars
Novice
Novice

Re: syncrond waking up NAS on DSM6?

Postby JeanMars » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi again,

having a look at /tmp/synocrond.log:

Code: Select all

04-23 02:28:28 running job: builtin-synosharing-default with command: /usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron as user root
04-23 09:27:32 running job: builtin-synosharesnapshot-default with command: /usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean as user root
04-24 03:36:07 running job: builtin-synosharing-default with command: /usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron as user root
04-24 19:26:27 running job: builtin-synodatacollect-synodatacollect with command: /usr/syno/bin/synodatacollect as user root
04-24 22:11:29 running job: builtin-synosharesnapshot-default with command: /usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean as user root
04-25 03:57:33 running job: builtin-syno-letsencrypt-syno-letsencrypt: autorenew with command: /usr/syno/sbin/syno-letsencrypt renew-all as user root
04-25 05:21:33 running job: builtin-dyn-autopkgupgrade-default with command: /usr/syno/bin/synopkg chkupgradepkg as user root
04-25 05:30:33 running job: builtin-synosharing-default with command: /usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron as user root
04-25 19:09:42 running job: builtin-synosharesnapshot-default with command: /usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean as user root
04-26 03:40:48 running job: builtin-synosharing-default with command: /usr/syno/bin/synosharingcron as user root
04-26 04:20:49 running job: builtin-synosharesnapshot-default with command: /usr/syno/sbin/synosharesnapshot misc subvol-clean as user root

This does not make any sense; the jobs are scheduled but not at any expected time I can understand from synocrond.config !
Does someone understand the way synocrond works????
ddvsamara
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ddvsamara » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, i too found this synocrond daemon, investigate and shut up it by command: synoservice --hard-stop synocrond
Editng synocrond.conf has no effect - synology replace it after reboot. As result my NAS have no wake ups all night. No one!
May be stop synocrond really bad idea, i not shure. In synocrond.config foung system update check task and other system tasks,
this may be problem. But! synocrond in my case is gulity in pereodic wake ups. I think make downgrade to lower version without this guano
and other unwanted funcionality as unstoppable indexing service (in GUI), search and other s..t.

I still watching whats going on in my NAS.
voorniks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby voorniks » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:17 am

Hi ddvsamara,

How did the shutdown of the service 'synocrond' turned out to your Synology?
Is everything still running and updating?

I'm thinking of editing the synocrond.config myself since Synology seems to think everything is OK
Three questions:
1. How to get to such a file in an easy way, WinSCP?
2. How to edit such a file (since it's a Linux-file and I'm on Windows 8.1, I obviously don't want to corrupt it).
Use Notepad++ with special settings?
3. What to change in the file? Delete all "jobs" in the file or simply change the ---schedule":{"Minute":[24],"day":[-1],"hour":[22],"month":[-1],"week":[2]}--- items to something like ---schedule":{"Minute":[-1],"day":[-1],"hour":[-1],"month":[-1],"week":[-1]}---

I don't mind to perform these edits every time the system is rebooted. That only happens after DSM updates in my case.
I hope you/someone can help me with this. If it's to risky I'll pass, but I want to get rid of these scheduled wake ups 3 times a day.

Thanks,
Roger
smartin
Trainee
Trainee

Postby smartin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 pm

@voorniks: The behaviour is a bit better now. However the DS does still start exactly every 24h. Funny thing is though, that I can't find any cron jobs for that. The synocrond.config is still empty with only {"jobs":} in it. I used nano to edit this file, as vi is a bit hard to use for me. Nano can be installed via third party sources at http://packages.synocommunity.com.
- after that you login via SSH (usually using putty), with an account that is member of the admin group
- then change to root, by using sudo -i
- call nano: root@Diskstation:nano /usr/syno/etc/synocrond.config
- make a backup of the content of the config file (just copy the text and paste it in a text file)
- clear the file and leave {"jobs":} in it
- now you can restart the DS

I'm not sure if it makes sense to set the DS back to factory settings before doing the mod of the config file. I still think that apart from some suspicious cron jobs, something went wrong with the update.

Return to “Hibernation Room”