Hikvision cameras not fully supported

All questions/comments regarding the Surveillance Station using IP Cameras may be placed here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
KLC
Trainee
Trainee

Hikvision cameras not fully supported

Unread post by KLC » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 am

I'm posting this here in the hopes that either a. synology takes this issues seriously, or b. someone has a solution.

The DS-2cd2332 camera, as well as many tehr hikvision cameras, support many smart detection features. In the 2332, these smart detection notifications are picked up by surveillance station as conventional motion detections, thus allowing the DS to record based on these smart notifications.

However, these cameras are end of life, and although many other Hikvision IPCs support these features, the DS refuses to pick up the notifications for any camera newer than the 2cd2332. I am a synology partner and have reported this to synology several times over the past year and a half and no solution has been offered yet. I'm currently installing DS-2cd2335 and I'm being forced to use hikvision and compatible NVRs for installations that I would love to use synology for, this is affecting my business, and it's doing a dis-service to my customers.

Synology markets surveillance stations as fully supporting most hikvision cameras, but this is a clear and blatant lie at worse, or a lack of responsible business practices at best.

I hope synology decides to fix this issue soon. I am willing to send synology support camera samples if it will help, or I can provide access to systems with various cameras, I've already done this before but support does not care.

willmoac
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Hikvision cameras not fully supported

Unread post by willmoac » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 am

That's interesting!

I have just invested in a DS218+ with plans to run 6-8 HikVision Turret Cameras, I currently have 2 DS-2CD2342WD-I plus 1 DS-2CD2355FWD-I.

I only set the system up last week, and have been using the motion detection on the SS. However I was planning to switch over to use the HikVision motion detection, as I am have been getting too many false triggers (but I also need to work out the best settings).

I hope after an investment of around £1k so far I have working system.

I chose the DS218+ as I needed a new NAS plus an NVR.

Have I made a bad decsion/choice?

KLC
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by KLC » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 pm

As far as NAS surveillance systems go, I still believe Synology is the best in the business. However, if you planned on using the Hikvision smart detection features, you’re completely out of luck. If you stick to Synology detection, or Hikvision “dumb” detection, you’ll be fine.

If you’re using a 218+, I’m pretty sure you’ll want to offload detection from the Synology over to the cameras, especially if you plan on using more than a few cameras. Unless Synology gets on board and fixes these issues, then they’ll keeep false advertising, Synology DOES NOT fully support modern Hikvision cameras. Synology does not currently support smart detection on any Hikvision camera released in the past 5 years.

willmoac
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by willmoac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 pm

So from what you are saying, I am essentially stuck with just using Motion Detection as controlled by the Synology SS rather than the cameras?

I was thinking I may swap over the motion detection to the cameras....

KLC
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by KLC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:07 pm

I’m also saying that you can use the standard motion detection on the Hikvision cameras. You just can’t use the smart detection features.

MikeHunt
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MikeHunt » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 pm

I recently got this camera: HikVision DS-2CD2142FWD-I
I already have the DS918+

Before I bought the camera, I went to https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility/camera to see if this model was compatible. Which it said it was. But the fact that it only works with the cameras motion detection, makes it pretty useless.

I don't want the Surveilance Station software to detect motion as it means my network will be flooded with cam trafic at all times. The detection should of course happen on the camera.

I guess I may have to buy an NVR to get a proper setup.

But it is sad to see that synology does not put a note on cameras that they work, but only with this or that feature.
Happy owner of Synology DS-918+ (with 2 x WD60EFRX)

willmoac
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by willmoac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:03 pm

KLC wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:07 pm
I’m also saying that you can use the standard motion detection on the Hikvision cameras. You just can’t use the smart detection features.
Thanks for that info, at present I am using the Synology motion detection. I assume that the HikVision standard motion detection is better?? I want to reduce false triggers especially once I get 6-8 cameras running.

Unfortunately fro some reason I am not getting emails to say there has been a response to my forum posts, so hadn't seen this until just now.

adama31
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by adama31 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Still no hikvision support in the 8.2 beta. It doesn't look like this is a priority for Synology.

georgenox
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by georgenox » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:43 pm

I have a DS-2CD2135FWD-I and a DS-2CD2335FWD-I. As others have mentioned, i would like the cameras to be doing the detections instead of SS and I'd want smart detections to work! Basic motion detection puts too much CPU overhead on the NAS, while it's prone to false positives on the cameras.

jonausten
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jonausten » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm running 8 hik vision DS-2CD2385FWD cameras using H265+ compression. All cameras are talking to the NAS and recording fine but I have a problem in seeing the stream on live view from inside surveillance station. I have a message saying the video format of this camera is not supported. however when I view the live stream from outside the SS, using an SS client, then all cameras' live streams are displayed. can anyone explain this anomaly?

Tim Powys-Lybbe
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Tim Powys-Lybbe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm

[quote=georgenox post_id=538133 time=1533055428 user_id=182471]
I have a DS-2CD2135FWD-I and a DS-2CD2335FWD-I. As others have mentioned, i would like the cameras to be doing the detections instead of SS and I'd want smart detections to work! Basic motion detection puts too much CPU overhead on the NAS, while it's prone to false positives on the cameras.
[/quote]

Agreed. I have found an article on Use-IP's forum at <https://www.use-ip.co.uk/forum/attachme ... gy-pdf.73/> titled "Quick Start Guide of Hikvision IP Camera & Synology NAS Connection v1.1". This gives two methods of linking your Hikvision camera to a Synology NAS. The first method is by NFS and should NOT be used as it looks like it will delete everything on your NAS. The second method is by CIFS which probably preserves all your current data and might work though I can't quite get that far on my kit!

I got the Hikvision camera to see the storage area I created on the NAS. But I could not get it to make the link to that area.

Has anyone else tried out these methods? I think someone may even be able to get them to work... hopefully.

Tim

Briolet
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Briolet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:30 pm

KLC wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 am
The DS-2cd2332 camera, as well as many tehr hikvision cameras, support many smart detection features. In the 2332, these smart detection notifications are picked up by surveillance station as conventional motion detections, thus allowing the DS to record based on these smart notifications.…
Interesting that this works on older models. I heard from others that smart detections are recognosed, but never got is working myself. I have several HikVisions, but all 4MP. So, I know now hwy I didn't got it working while others could.

The only "smart detection" that is recognised is Tampering. I love to have Line Crossing working. That gives less false detections than just "motion".

I looked into the device pack in the HIKVISION.conf file. I noticed that the 2cd2332 model uses "hikvision2 api" and all the newer 2cd2x42 models use the "hikvision3 api". Apparently Synology forgot to add the smart detection to this api.
(/volume1/@appstore/SurveillanceStation/device_pack/camera_support/HIKVISION.conf)

I also noticed that Synology forgot to add one camera supported resulution to the config file for all the 4MP models. (The 2304x1296 resolution). Adding it manually to the config makes that you also can set that resulution in SS.

tb123
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by tb123 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:42 am

I'm looking at installing a couple of new Hikvision cams on my DS and am interested in this post.

Curious, what's the difference between "line crossing" in the Hikvision and the ability to draw detection areas in the SS itself?
DS916+, 3 x 4TB WD Red, 1 x 4TB WD Purple
UniFi USG, 16 port PoE switch and 4 x AP’s, some Windows, Mac, Android and iDevices

Briolet
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by Briolet » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:25 pm

With linecrossing an object has to pass a line to trigger the alert. You can even set the direction of crossing that triggers the alert.

When you draw a detection area any movement within that area triggers an alert. This could be plants waving in the wind or a schadow that is disapearing and apearing when a cloud passes the sun.

Line crossing triggers the alert but this is not seen bij SS. At least not with my 4MP camera's from the 2cd2x42 series.

The current HikVision firmware also has face recognision. This triggers an alert when it sees a face in the field of view. This alert also is not picked up by SS.

juwi_uk
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by juwi_uk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:17 am

I too hope SS will support the smart events feature in Hikvision as I’m using SS motion detection at the moment and getting to many hits.

I sorely could do with the face detection and intrusion detection support that smart events present in the Hikvision cameras. I’m otherwise getting too may false hits, especially at night when car headlights light up the trees or when a leaf blows ( and dont get me started on spiders and other night-time bugs zig-zagging about in flight!).

I did try to switch to camera detection but I couldnt get SS to record reliably when camera detection is set.

The only positive in all of this is the exercise I have got jumping and walking about like a Ninja in my front garden trying to get the recording to fire. It seems I either got the recording to trigger every few second because a leaf fluttered or I could “drive a bus through it’ and not get a single hit out of it depending on what settings I set. Trying to find the right sensitivity, threshold, ignore movement settings has TBH being driving me nuts! :oops:

I’m sure Hikvision arent the only cameras out there with advanced features like this but there seems to be a reasonable sized community of Synology users out there using them so maybe they should give these cameras the same level of attention the seem to lavish on AXIS. Maybe Synology should pick up the phone and call Hikvision and suggest Hikvision second a couple of people to sort out these holes together; good for both companies as happy SS customers who dont then moan about the cost of the licenses and Hikvision sell more cameras. :wink:

Julian

Return to “Surveillance Station”