Surveillance Station 8 - Browser Plug In Issue And Desktop Client How To

All questions/comments regarding the Surveillance Station using IP Cameras may be placed here
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
ingeborgdot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: How do I get my surveillance station to work?

Unread post by ingeborgdot » Tue May 16, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm pretty new to the surveillance station. Where is the desktop client? I have not tried any mobile clients other than the one that works directly with my Hikvision camera. Everything works fine with anything from Hikvision.

piomp10splyr
Rookie
Rookie

Beating a Dead Horse

Unread post by piomp10splyr » Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 am

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but will someone please tell Synology that nobody uses Internet Explorer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times I get on and try to check my Surveillance station when I'm actually home on my desktop............. ugh, I typically do everything from phone or while I'm nowhere near my house. But every once or twice a month for(I don't know) 3 years I always get on and start using Chrome or Firefox and what do I always encounter....... does not support NPAPI plugin!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not switching to IE or Edge or anything else. Either get the software to work or better yet make an standalone desktop application that is HTML5 compatible just for surveillance station. That would actually be genius because its the one app that would benefit from a standalone program!

Your's Truly,

3-5 years of annoyance exploding!
Last edited by piomp10splyr on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjbenson
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rjbenson » Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 am

The mobile app would be in the IOS or Android app stores. I use IOS and the app is called DS Cam it should work. I am having the same problem trying to view in web browser. I purchased a Foscam camera to try out the Surveillance Station app. I was able to get the camera to work but trying to use Survelliance Station to view the films is worthless. It appears that it no longer works with Chrome, Firefox or Edge, since they no longer support some of the JAVA based add-ins. Supposedly you can get it to work with IE but I haven't gotten it to work yet. Is there a desktop client? I'd like to know what that is and where to get it if anyone knows. As for the problem with Surveillance Station it would be nice to know if this issue will be addressed or not. At the bare minimum they should redo their camera compatibility chart. I will probably send back the Foscam and switch to Netgear's Arlo, simpler solution.

Kanashii
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Surveillance Station 8 - Browser Plug In Issue And Desktop Client How To

Unread post by Kanashii » Sun May 21, 2017 12:30 am

Why not use a html5 + nodejs (or any other framework) code to avoid all the problems with the plugin not working on browsers?

Meruem
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by Meruem » Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 am

ingeborgdot wrote:I'm pretty new to the surveillance station. Where is the desktop client? I have not tried any mobile clients other than the one that works directly with my Hikvision camera. Everything works fine with anything from Hikvision.
open the web management survelience station app in dsm, and then go to start button, and then go to client management, and installer is there

yerbabie
Experienced
Experienced

No Chrome Support, seriously?

Unread post by yerbabie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:12 am

Are Synology serious when they say to use IE or Safari?

from w3:
2017 Chrome IE/Edge Firefox Safari Opera
April 75.7 % 4.6 % 13.6 % 3.7 % 1.1 %

I mean come on, use IE or Safari only...

Solutions?
STORAGE DS1817+ (5 x 4TB WD Red RAID 6)
BACKUP DS1010+ (5 x 3TB WD Red RAID 5)
RT2600AC Routing

Cerunnos
Experienced
Experienced

Re: No Chrome Support, seriously?

Unread post by Cerunnos » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 am

Use the dedicated client, or wait for the HTML5 version they announced at Computex.

Judge
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Judge » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:39 pm

I am somewhat new to SS so does this mean that the direct login to SS v8 no longer works?

I cannot get into SS v8 directly by typing http:/192.168.0.xxx:9900. I can access it from DSM without an issue. I can also access it with the MAC client and the Windows client.

I am using a Synology RT2600ac router and it automatically setup ports 9900 and 9901 for port forwarding and everything looks ok there.

If I try to type in the IP address and port number it says connecting and then times out. I even created a Firewall Rule to allow 9900 - 9901 and I can still not access SS directly via a web browser.

piomp10splyr
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by piomp10splyr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:33 am

So, this is wild, random and made me happy! Just finished setting up new router(Netgear R9000.... had to gloat) and while I was checking functionality for all devices on the network i came across something.

Surveillance Station is working in Chrome!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not sure which update of Chrome or Surveillance Station resolved the issue but I am so happy. I think that means I never have to touch IE or Edge again for now!

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 am

piomp10splyr wrote:So, this is wild, random and made me happy! Just finished setting up new router(Netgear R9000.... had to gloat) and while I was checking functionality for all devices on the network i came across something.

Not sure which update of Chrome or Surveillance Station resolved the issue but I am so happy. I think that means I never have to touch IE or Edge again for now!
camera work in browser for long time... this thread almost year old. old version never work in edge because edge not have NPAPI

piomp10splyr
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by piomp10splyr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:36 am

sincarne wrote:
piomp10splyr wrote:So, this is wild, random and made me happy! Just finished setting up new router(Netgear R9000.... had to gloat) and while I was checking functionality for all devices on the network i came across something.

camera work in browser for long time... this thread almost year old. old version never work in edge because edge not have NPAPI

No... it hasn't. I've been using Synology since 2011 and used Firefox and Chrome. I have routinely checked compatibility and have rebuilt my PC and upgraded my laptops multiple times over the years. I have had my second disktation for 2 years now. i have also used Windows vista, 7 and 10 and am always up to date on software and firmware. I posted in May 2017 about this not working still. I recently bought a new security camera last year and it still didn't work with anything but IE. I checked again beginning of March because I bought a new router and, Voila!!, it works. I have had multiple routers in past and that is not the issue. There was always a compatibility issue with any browser except IE. I inquired through support services and the forum. There was also a message in surveillance station about the compatibility for "Live view".

BTW, Edge sucks.... it never worked in Chrome or Firefox or Edge which came with Win 10

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 am

piomp10splyr wrote:
sincarne wrote:

No... it hasn't. I've been using Synology since 2011 and used Firefox and Chrome. I have routinely checked compatibility and have rebuilt my PC and upgraded my laptops multiple times over the years. I have had my second disktation for 2 years now. i have also used Windows vista, 7 and 10 and am always up to date on software and firmware. I posted in May 2017 about this not working still. I recently bought a new security camera last year and it still didn't work with anything but IE. I checked again beginning of March because I bought a new router and, Voila!!, it works. I have had multiple routers in past and that is not the issue. There was always a compatibility issue with any browser except IE. I inquired through support services and the forum. There was also a message in surveillance station about the compatibility for "Live view".

BTW, Edge sucks.... it never worked in Chrome or Firefox or Edge which came with Win 10
update that use HTML5 over 6 month old that not long time 4 u?

piomp10splyr
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by piomp10splyr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:06 pm

No it's not considering I have been running a Synology server since 2011. Not sure when surveillance station was created but I had it in 2011. So out of almost 8 years, it hasn't worked for 93% of that time.

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 am

piomp10splyr wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:06 pm
No it's not considering I have been running a Synology server since 2011. Not sure when surveillance station was created but I had it in 2011. So out of almost 8 years, it hasn't worked for 93% of that time.
it use npapi plugin before html5... that work on all browser in 2011. npapi only remove from browser over past few year and FF was last to remove. i not get why people on forum make up story :?:

Return to “Surveillance Station”