Fighting Poor Live View Performance

All questions/comments regarding the Surveillance Station using IP Cameras may be placed here
Forum rules
1) On 12/25, Synology Forums will be getting a new layout. During this time, content will still be accessible but you will be unable to make new threads and posts.

2) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

3) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mtgorilla1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Fighting Poor Live View Performance

Postby mtgorilla1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:03 am

Hi,

I have an RS815+ with an expansion unit totaling 32tb of storage. This set up is only to Support Surveillance station (8.0). From the start I have been trying to understand the best settings for both IP cameras and SS settings. I have not been able to get rid of "ghosts", hour glasses, choppy motion etc when using SS client Live View. I have outstanding internet connections at both ends of my tests (30x4 & 60 x 8). The problem has been there even after only adding a few cameras. I am planning on 32 cameras in all. Both zoom and PTZ are impossible to control without waiting for minutes. Inside my LAN the performance is reasonable but not great. I have a high end router that can process 2mil pps. Doing a web interface on any camera gives superb video.

Most camera settings are 1-2MP, 8 fps stream 1, 720 v 480 (about), 8 fps, stream 2 with Synology controlling camera settings.

I appreciate there is a ton more info that may be needed but I have a lot of $$$$ invested so far and really want to make this work. Synology support wants me to open a ticket a wait for all problems (no coaching or diagnosis over the phone!).

I appreciate any recommendations. I have tried many different settings and obviously am missing something.

Thanks!!
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Fighting Poor Live View Performance

Postby sincarne » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Computer spec?
mtgorilla1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mtgorilla1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Lag times are happening on all PCs that are accessing via the client over the net. ex. brand new HP i5 with 12 GB mem. 1 yr old HP i5 with 8gb. 3 yr old Dell i7 w/4gb.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 pm

mtgorilla1 wrote:Lag times are happening on all PCs that are accessing via the client over the net. ex. brand new HP i5 with 12 GB mem. 1 yr old HP i5 with 8gb. 3 yr old Dell i7 w/4gb.

Desktop or mobile? The processor performance vary a lot and that very import 4 surveillance. You say over net. This not happen on local computer? Your upload speed likely not fast enough. You say "30x4" so 4 would be slow upload. The other one turn into face so not sure what it meant to be.
mtgorilla1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mtgorilla1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:34 pm

The PCs are desktop. The Synology 815 is connected to a 60mb download and an 8 mb upload internet connection. The PCs are all connected to 30mb download and 4 mb upload internet connection. Those numbers should be more than adequate.
jhawkins
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jhawkins » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Bandwidth is such great Fun! As I understand it, you have all of the cameras and the Nas at the site with the 8mb upload. All of the viewers are at the other site, ... is this correct?

If these assumptions are true, then you need to do the math.

#1 - Find out exactly how much you are really using. If you go to the Ip Camera setup screen and click on the pic beside each camera it will bring up a live feed and on that it will tell you how much data is being transmitted. This will vary depending on motion, but you can probably guestimate and average. Remember, this screen measures in KB, not kb, multiply by 8 to get Kilobits like your connection is measured in.

#2 - Add up the numbers for all of the cameras you are watching concurrently

#3 - Multiply that by the amount of people watching them at the same time.

This is how much bandwidth you are actually using for the camera streams. This is independant of anything else you are doing with your internet connection

Here is an idea of the bandwidth requirements. I have 12 cameras at a remote site - if I watch all of them at the same time, 720p ,6fps, quality full - it takes about 14mb/s of bandwidth.

When I had my 5mb fiber I had to severely detune the cameras and never view them all at the same time or it would kill the connection. I recently updated to 1gb line, ... no more problems, lol.

Also, one thing that benefits my setup is I have a nas at both locations, my users watch the cameras at the remote site on their local nas. This setup means I only ever have 1 stream coming from the remote site, all my local users view the same streams coming in from the remote site. Without this setup each person watching cameras on the remote nas would need their own full stream, quickly upping the bandwidth requirements.
synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby synology_ukman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:24 pm

mtgorilla1 wrote:Hi,

I have an RS815+ with an expansion unit totaling 32tb of storage. This set up is only to Support Surveillance station (8.0). From the start I have been trying to understand the best settings for both IP cameras and SS settings. I have not been able to get rid of "ghosts", hour glasses, choppy motion etc when using SS client Live View. I have outstanding internet connections at both ends of my tests (30x4 & 60 x 8). The problem has been there even after only adding a few cameras. I am planning on 32 cameras in all. Both zoom and PTZ are impossible to control without waiting for minutes. Inside my LAN the performance is reasonable but not great. I have a high end router that can process 2mil pps. Doing a web interface on any camera gives superb video.

Most camera settings are 1-2MP, 8 fps stream 1, 720 v 480 (about), 8 fps, stream 2 with Synology controlling camera settings.

I appreciate there is a ton more info that may be needed but I have a lot of $$$$ invested so far and really want to make this work. Synology support wants me to open a ticket a wait for all problems (no coaching or diagnosis over the phone!).

I appreciate any recommendations. I have tried many different settings and obviously am missing something.

Thanks!!

What does this tell you on bandwidth?
What makes you think the NAS is the issue rather than your network?
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nvr_selector
mtgorilla1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mtgorilla1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

What part of the network might be the problem?

The NAS connects to a 1GB port on the router (I have substituted different routers with the same choppy result). The router is capable of 2m PPS. The NAS's Internet connection is 60x7. The Clients' internet are 30x4. 2 Of the client PCs are running W7, an i5 processor and 8gb memory. I have tried experimenting with only an 8 camera live view with the same result. No Internet clients are on live view at the same time.

What I am seeing:

lots of hour glasses, people in suddenly in frame and suddenly out, ghost images, extreme lag in a connected PTZ, extreme lag in mechanical zoom.

I am a contractor and my client has been patient but is needing to know I can work this out. Any specific advice will be greatly appreciated. I have used Synology for years for solid NAS devices. I gambled on SS 8.0 but with confidence in the company. I cannot afford to pull it and replace it with another vendor.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator

Postby sincarne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm

mtgorilla1 wrote:What part of the network might be the problem?

The NAS connects to a 1GB port on the router (I have substituted different routers with the same choppy result). The router is capable of 2m PPS. The NAS's Internet connection is 60x7. The Clients' internet are 30x4. 2 Of the client PCs are running W7, an i5 processor and 8gb memory. I have tried experimenting with only an 8 camera live view with the same result. No Internet clients are on live view at the same time.

What I am seeing:

lots of hour glasses, people in suddenly in frame and suddenly out, ghost images, extreme lag in a connected PTZ, extreme lag in mechanical zoom.

I am a contractor and my client has been patient but is needing to know I can work this out. Any specific advice will be greatly appreciated. I have used Synology for years for solid NAS devices. I gambled on SS 8.0 but with confidence in the company. I cannot afford to pull it and replace it with another vendor.

Do you see the same issue when locally connected instead of remote? 7Mbps upload does not seem like enough for that many cam
jhawkins
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jhawkins » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 pm

mtgorilla1 wrote:What part of the network might be the problem?

What I am seeing:

#1 - Verify what your actual bandwidth is on the internet connections with speed tests, you may not have the throughput the provider promised.

#2 - If you are using a VPN connection there can be major limitations in throughput, depending on the firewall/router hardware capabilities

#3 - Sharply reduce your resolution, FPS, and quality to see if it improves.
mtgorilla1
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mtgorilla1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Speed tests show better performance that the stated rates. 66x7.5 on the LAN. That upload speed is the max that the cable company will guarantee. I had the modem re-provisioned just in case it was in error. 32x4.3 what I am getting for the SS Client PC. I am not using a VPN.

I had set all cameras to low bandwidth and middle resolution (3) on the SS IP Camera settings. Mobile is 720 x 260 (approx.). IP preview shows an average of 145kb/ camera. Inside the LAN performance is acceptable. Over the internet is where the problem is.

Return to “Surveillance Station”